Unable to restore to stock

Guest KasioPC

Guest KasioPC

After installing the B888 ROM, I tried restoring a nandorid backup. It restored fine, but will now only boot into CWM.

I've tried flashing all the Huawei ROMS, but they get stuck on "Update failed"

The only one I can get booting is Seb404's debranded ROM flashed via CWM.

I think maybe the partitions were somehow changed - anyone have any ideas for this?

Guest G300

I'm getting the same as you KasioPC best put a warning in the B888 rom topic.

I like the B888 so not to bothered as log as don't need to send back phone :o

Guest KasioPC

I'm getting the same as you KasioPC best put a warning in the B888 rom topic.

I like the B888 so not to bothered as log as don't need to send back phone :o

Done and done. I think we need someone to post a list of the partition sizes from one not flashed with B888, and compare it with ours.

Guest FrownBreaker

Done and done. I think we need someone to post a list of the partition sizes from one not flashed with B888, and compare it with ours.

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$ df

Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize

/dev 197M 64K 197M 4096

/mnt/asec 197M 0K 197M 4096

/mnt/obb 197M 0K 197M 4096

/system 295M 258M 36M 4096

/data 755M 213M 542M 4096

/cache 188M 4M 184M 4096

/cust 59M 12M 46M 4096

/HWUserData 2G 96K 2G 32768

/mnt/sdcard 29G 18G 10G 8192

/mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied

/mnt/asec/com.techploy.twitplay-1 2M 126K 1M 512

/mnt/asec/com.SwannView-1 2M 737K 1M 512

/mnt/asec/com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity-1 6M 4M 1M 512

$

This is the output from DF note there is a permission denied. Not sure what the /mnt/asec stuff is looks like a couple of apps I'm running Swannview, Twitplay and Tapatalk.

Might be something related to apps stored on the SD card being mounted on launch?

Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest FrankieADZ

i didnt do any nandorid backup, i wonder if it will affect you if u restore a rom created now u have b888

Guest Frankish

I'm confused. Can you not just wipe data etc and stick with B888 or does that not boot now? Maybe there is something blocking downgrading? Maybe get a rom dump of B888, copy over the system folder to your system and then wipe data see if that boots?

Guest KasioPC

I'm confused. Can you not just wipe data etc and stick with B888 or does that not boot now? Maybe there is something blocking downgrading? Maybe get a rom dump of B888, copy over the system folder to your system and then wipe data see if that boots?

Nope, cannot flash the B888 ROM the normal way after trying to restore my CWM backup. The partition sizes of /system and /cust are different:

Filesystem			 Size   Used   Free   Blksize

/dev				   197M    64K   197M   4096

/mnt/asec			  197M	 0K   197M   4096

/mnt/obb			   197M	 0K   197M   4096

/system			    377M   263M   114M   4096

/data				  755M    71M   684M   4096

/cache				 188M	 4M   184M   4096

/cust				   78M	 9M    69M   4096

/HWUserData			  2G    96K	 2G   32768

/mnt/sdcard			  1G   477M   925M   4096

Guest G300

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$ df

Filesystem Size Used Free Blksize

/dev 197M 64K 197M 4096

/mnt/asec 197M 0K 197M 4096

/mnt/obb 197M 0K 197M 4096

/system 295M 253M 41M 4096

/data 755M 87M 668M 4096

/cache 188M 4M 184M 4096

/HWUserData 2G 96K 2G 32768

/cust 59M 25M 33M 4096

/mnt/sdcard 1G 915M 1018M 4096

/mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied

Posted from phone had to copy paste.

Edited by G300

Guest FrankieADZ

ok..so this all means what?

we cant flash roms via clockwork unless they are B888 or higher based or something? (i havent a clue tbh..noob)

Guest FrownBreaker

ok..so this all means what?

we cant flash roms via clockwork unless they are B888 or higher based or something? (i havent a clue tbh..noob)

The previous ROM Images assume a specific number and size of partitions. This has changed with this update. So to restore to a previous ROM a process to redefine the partitions to the old number and size is needed. Once this process has been written and tested it will be possible to restore the old ROMs.

If you look at the partions reported in the posts, there are 2 that seem to be different:

1. System /system partition pre B888 ROM was 295M post B88 is now 377M
  2. Custom /cust partition pre B888 ROM was 59M post B88 is now 78M
Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest KasioPC

Can someone who hasn't flashed B888 reboot into Clockwork, connect via USB and go to 'adb shell'

Then type 'parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print' and post what you get.

Guest FrankieADZ

The previous ROM Images assume a specific number and size of partitions. This has changed with this update. So to restore to a previous ROM a process to redefine the partitions to the old number and size is needed. Once this process has been written and tested it will be possible to restore the old ROMs.

thanks alot for telling/teaching me :) Im learning...thanks everyone :)

Ah...maybe it could in preparation for ICS or something

Guest KasioPC

Have just tried flashing B888 and it is working fine. Will try selectively restoring bits of my CWM backup and see what happens

Guest FrownBreaker

Can someone who hasn't flashed B888 reboot into Clockwork, connect via USB and go to 'adb shell'

Then type 'parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print' and post what you get.

I'm at at work -no USB access to the phone.

parted is runnable from the phone's terminal but says access denied, tried su but the new prompt still says access denied.

Is there a way to get terminal access to parted say from recovery, I have CWR installed (at a look but could not see it)

I've 3g access at work and the G300 phone, rooted with Seb's CWR. Happy to report back the parted output but cannot run it and no ADB at work.

Edited by FrownBreaker

Guest KasioPC

I'm at at work -no USB access to the phone.

parted is runnable from the phone's terminal but says access denied, tried su but the new prompt still says access denied.

Is there a way to get terminal access to parted say from recovery, I have CWR installed (at a look but could not see it)

I've 3g access at work and the G300 phone, rooted with Seb's CWR. Happy to report back the parted output but cannot run it and no ADB at work.

Unfortunately not, CWR is the only way to access parted, and it needs to be done via ADB as obviously CWR doesn't have a terminal :P

Guest Sebastian404

<p>

Can someone who hasn't flashed B888 reboot into Clockwork, connect via USB and go to 'adb shell'Then type 'parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print' and post what you get.

parted wont work with this device.. however:

EDIT: seems to be something up with posting.. see the attached file.

fdisk.txt

Guest KasioPC

<p>parted wont work with this device.. however:

EDIT: seems to be something up with posting.. see the attached file.

I realised after I tried it, although I thought it may have been the ROM messing up the partitions. The fdisk output should hopefully be enough to rebuild the partition table manually - I'll have a crack on my day off (after making a dd backup :P)