Source code question

Guest Davidoff59

Guest Davidoff59

Someone said that in the leaflet that comes with the phone, that source code is available for $20. Can anyone point out the section where this is contained please. Also how would it be delivered? I may purchase it but I am moving soon so if I can download it and host here, that's fine but if not, is anyone in the dev interested in having it delivered to them if it comes on a CD?

I have no coding experience but its my way of giving back to the Modding community

Guest Chrisund123

Huawei really ought to reconsider making the code available as a free download, an thriving dev community could really beef up their sales figures.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Someone said that in the leaflet that comes with the phone, that source code is available for $20. Can anyone point out the section where this is contained please. Also how would it be delivered? I may purchase it but I am moving soon so if I can download it and host here, that's fine but if not, is anyone in the dev interested in having it delivered to them if it comes on a CD?

I have no coding experience but its my way of giving back to the Modding community

The document should already be on your phone. Plug the phone into the USB port on your computer and there is a drive/partition labelled 'Mobile partner'. Inside that should be a folder named 'document' and in there a file named 'COPYRIGHT NOTICE AND WARRANTY DISCLAIMER AND WRITTEN OFFER' (PDF). Page two of that mentions the source code for $20.

Guest Davidoff59

cheers for that. The address is [email protected].

It says, if you would like a copy of the Gpl source code contained in this product.

So that should contain the whole source code including kernel and minus any proprietary stuff correct?

Guest FlatPackPete

Already e-mailed and asked for a online version (the $20 is only suppose to cover the cost of the DVD and postage) and they replied they will never give out the source code (or the google translated words to that effect).

I think it will be better asking the UK or US support channels instead of going direct to China HQ. Anyone got a email address for them?

Guest Sebastian404

Huawei have always been good in the past at putting out the kernel source, but I have a feeling that what is happening at the moment is there is a raft for Ascend devices coming out, and like the 8650 / U8510 / M8650 series of devices (one kernel package for all those devices) they are waiting for the other to come out before putting out 1 release...

I know your all keen to get overclocking and the like.. but really.. Patience you must learn

Android is open source so they have to release source code right?

There are gpl rules/laws that these mobile companies are bound too.

Edit: that makes sense Sebastian

Edited by Guest

Guest Davidoff59

I read that the source code is licensed under 'free as in speech, not free as in beer ' whatever that means so I thought we would have to pay for it, that's why I was asking about it.

As sebastion said,I have also heard that huawei are good with code release,its just gonna be a waiting game.

Me personally I would rather get the ics update than gingerbread source code,but I am a bit partial to an icecream sandwich.

Edited by Guest

Guest nikopol1

I read that the source code is licensed under 'free as in speech, not free as in beer ' whatever that means so I thought we would have to pay for it, that's why I was asking about it.

The free speech and free beer is a confusing quote from Richard Stallman because actually GPL codes is meant to be both. GPL means you can access the source code, change it, spin off your own

software from it and not have to pay anyone for it (at the same time you can't charge for it since it's not fully your code). The $20 is for burning the CD, posting etc which is allowed. That

said I'm not sure if the android kernel is fully GPL compliant (see http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/open-source/3265767/android-may-violate-linux-kernel-gpl-licence/).

Then there's the issue of v2 vs v3 versions of the GPL (v3 being a lot more agressive to avoid the likes of Tivo not having to release their code).

Anyway, once someone has a copy of the code I would assume nothing would prevent them from posting it online.

Guest hecatae

Huawei have always been good in the past at putting out the kernel source, but I have a feeling that what is happening at the moment is there is a raft for Ascend devices coming out, and like the 8650 / U8510 / M8650 series of devices (one kernel package for all those devices) they are waiting for the other to come out before putting out 1 release...

I know your all keen to get overclocking and the like.. but really.. Patience you must learn

so are the above device being released with gingerbread, and being updated to ics later?

Guest Sebastian404

There is a whole bunch of Devices in the Ascend range, and as far as I've seen they are all coming out with Gingerbread, and some of them are getting an ICS update at somepoint.

I'd just like to point out I've not got any insider knowledge, its just what I think is happening.

Guest hecatae

Did not mean to imply you had insider knowledge, just know you are a fan of the value end of the market.

is it just me or is aosp ics currently broken. 2.3.7 builds fine.

Guest Sebastian404

Did not mean to imply you had insider knowledge, just know you are a fan of the value end of the market.

is it just me or is aosp ics currently broken. 2.3.7 builds fine.

I read an post on another site today about the Y200 / Y100... apparently Y stands for 'YOUTH!'* and they are being targeted at kids from the 'my first smart phone' angle....

as if there's not enough cheap underpowered android devices out there as it is..

I've totally buggered up my build environment messing about with Team Win Recovery project over the last few days, so I'm not in a position to build anything at the minute :!

* the G in G300 must be for "Grown Ups!"

Guest zerosignull

The Android source code is licenced under an Apache license so Huawei dont have to release any android mods. The kernel however, which is the important bit for us, is licenced under GPL and is required to be distributed for free if you release a product using that code

Guest FrankieADZ

Just need them to release it. Never understood why it takes them so long... anyone care to enlighten me?

i wont "enlighten you" but imo i just think there being lazy with it :wacko:

Guest Davidoff59

See top of page Frankish

Back to top Quote MultiQuote Report

Sebastian404 , on 13 May 2012 - 08 : 05

PM , said :

Huawei have always been good in the past at

putting out the kernel source, but I have a

feeling that what is happening at the moment is

there is a raft for Ascend devices coming out,

and like the 8650 / U8510 / M8650 series of

devices (one kernel package for all those

devices) they are waiting for the other to come

out before putting out 1 release...

I know your all keen to get overclocking and the

like.. but really.. Patience you must learn

Guest Prog_Drummer

This was on the Huawei Device UK facebook page yesterday:

Q. Is there any chance of the source code being released for the g300 or at the least the kernel? It would help the Dev community out so much.

A. thanks for being in touch. We know the developer community wants this, and we're chasing an answer. Bear with us; we'll get back to you here as soon as we know. Thanks again.

Edited by Prog_Drummer

Guest coupedummy

I Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Huawei device.

Sorry about that we can’t afford the source code for the U8815 because of the security regulations.

Once again thank you for contacting Huawei device

Best Regards

Huawei Device Customer Care TeamDear Customer,

I have replied with

In your

COPYRIGHT NOTICE AND WARRANTY DISCLAIMER AND WRITTEN OFFER

You state the following"

WRITTEN OFFER

If you would like a copy of the GPL source code contained in this product shipped on a CD, for a charge of 20$ no more than the cost of preparing and mailing a CD to you, please contact [email protected].

I would like to purchse if possible? Other manufactuars release this for free for development. It is a great device and wish to develop if possibe? Will it be released at some point?

Thankyou

Hopefully we get some good news soon.