Chrome for ARMv6 Android devices ?

Guest zorbon

Guest BLu3HaZe

What's the exact difference between v6 and v7 architecture? I still couldn't find a proper article listing how they're so different except for the v7 being newer and having a few more instructions.. And better in benchmarks even at lower clock speeds for some reason.

Guest Dazzozo

There are a ton of changes in how floating-point calculations are performed - namely NEON, and yeah the obvious instruction set differences.

Guest BLu3HaZe

But most v7 processors don't implement NEON right? Like VPU in v6 processors which we luckily have? And it's optional in even Tegra 3? So then the difference would basically boil down to a richer instruction set? Wondered about emulation for sometime now, may end up real slow though... Need to learn this stuff more, thanks for the info Daz!

Guest Liamness

All that we have for Chrome on android right now is the beta download from Google play. Google have chosen to only support it on ARMv7 devices, so what can you do. However, when they release the open source version (called chromium) presumably people will be able to get it to run on whatever, but without the persistent login and maybe a few other google-centric functions. I don't use that stuff anyway.

Guest Dazzozo

But most v7 processors don't implement NEON right? Like VPU in v6 processors which we luckily have? And it's optional in even Tegra 3? So then the difference would basically boil down to a richer instruction set? Wondered about emulation for sometime now, may end up real slow though... Need to learn this stuff more, thanks for the info Daz!

There's still many more differences outside of NEON that happened to floating-point calculations.

Guest Dazzozo

All that we have for Chrome on android right now is the beta download from Google play. Google have chosen to only support it on ARMv7 devices, so what can you do. However, when they release the open source version (called chromium) presumably people will be able to get it to run on whatever, but without the persistent login and maybe a few other google-centric functions. I don't use that stuff anyway.

As far as I'm aware Google released partial source code but they want to fully integrate it in to Chromium as a build target before they release it fully.