LG introduces UI 3.0 for Ice Cream Sandwich

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

LG have introduced the third release of their custom UI for Android, which will be shipping on their Ice Cream Sandwich devices.

Showcased on the LG UK blog, the UI features include:

• the ability to unlock the phone by dragging anywhere on the screen;
  • a new Pattern Lock that allows users to preset the most frequently used function, such as the camera, which automatically opens once the phone is unlocked;
  • a simpler version of Optimus UI 3.0 for new smartphone users which organizes the main applications so that they are the easiest to access;
  • a new Voice Shutter that allows users to capture photos using only voice commands;
  • a special camera feature that enables users to pick up the best shot among multiple images including the moment just before the shutter button is depressed;
  • an Icon Customizer that provides an additional level of personalization by allowing users to set their own photos as icons and shortcut images;
  • the addition of a Download category to the menu for easier organization.

LG are pitching their new UI as a key differentiator for their new products - which of course it is - but whether that is a good thing or not is still very much up for debate. I don't mind custom UIs and I appreciate why companies feel they are important, but i'd still like to be able to turn them off!

It's difficult (read: impossible) to get excited about more UI tweaks when ICS updates for existing devices seem to be slipping further and further away... owners of the former-flagship Optimus 2X are not happy!

LG's new Optimus UI 3.0 will debut on the LG Optimus LTE II in Korea, followed by the LG Optimus 4X HD in worldwide markets from June.

More screenshots are available at the LG UK blog.

lgui3large.png

Click here to view the item

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.