OSF II Problem

Guest Lin1876

Guest Lin1876

I've got a pretty serious problem with my San Francisco II. Basically, I was trying to restore the stock ROM following the instructions here (the way you'd install any other ROM from ClockworkMod), but something has gone wrong and the phone will not go past the Android boot logo. Worse, instead of Clockwork Mod, pressing the Volume down button when booting only brings up the FTM screen.

I'm led to believe that the phone hasn't been bricked per se, but the solutions I've seen here haven't come to anything yet. I don't have access to a Windows computer right now, so if the solution need that then I'm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnvS7kM4Fs, but I am running Ubuntu 12.04, if that helps.

Guest AmbushReality

I've got a pretty serious problem with my San Francisco II. Basically, I was trying to restore the stock ROM following the instructions here (the way you'd install any other ROM from ClockworkMod), but something has gone wrong and the phone will not go past the Android boot logo. Worse, instead of Clockwork Mod, pressing the Volume down button when booting only brings up the FTM screen.

I'm led to believe that the phone hasn't been bricked per se, but the solutions I've seen here haven't come to anything yet. I don't have access to a Windows computer right now, so if the solution need that then I'm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnvS7kM4Fs, but I am running Ubuntu 12.04, if that helps.

pretty simular to my problem.. try the zte updater, then use the tool that is used for unlocking (download.exe) then press all the buttons at the same time then report back

EDIT: linux? Ignore me

Edited by AmbushReality

Guest Dazzozo

Could grab the Android SDK and fastboot CWM back on, and try the stock ROM again after wiping every partition possible in CWM. :P

Guest Lin1876

There is one other thing which I forgot to mention. My computer doesn't recognise the phone (not to my knowledge anyway) when I connect it by USB, so is there a way of forcing that to happen. When I do lsusb I can't see anything that screams out "phone" to me. I'll show what does come up in case I'm missing it...

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0181 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f3:0103 Elan Microelectronics Corp.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c03e Logitech, Inc. Premium Optical Wheel Mouse (M-BT58)

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 19d2:0112 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM

edit: D'oh I see it. Forget what I just said.

Edited by Lin1876

Guest AmbushReality

There is one other thing which I forgot to mention. My computer doesn't recognise the phone (not to my knowledge anyway) when I connect it by USB, so is there a way of forcing that to happen. When I do lsusb I can't see anything that screams out "phone" to me. I'll show what does come up in case I'm missing it...

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0181 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f3:0103 Elan Microelectronics Corp.

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c03e Logitech, Inc. Premium Optical Wheel Mouse (M-BT58)

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 19d2:0112 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM

edit: D'oh I see it. Forget what I just said.

Big letters, ZTE Technologies xD

Guest Lin1876

Could grab the Android SDK and fastboot CWM back on, and try the stock ROM again after wiping every partition possible in CWM. :P

Sorry for being a noob, but how do I that? I've got the SDK and the Eclipse plugin installed, but I don't even know where to start from there.

edit: Hang on, I've found something on the CyanogenMod Wiki, so I'll try that.

edit 2: No joy. I'll need to ask for help.

Edited by Lin1876

Guest Dazzozo

Sorry for being a noob, but how do I that? I've got the SDK and the Eclipse plugin installed, but I don't even know where to start from there.

edit: Hang on, I've found something on the CyanogenMod Wiki, so I'll try that.

edit 2: No joy. I'll need to ask for help.

You need to open the SDK Manager and install Platform Tools. That should install to a separate folder in the SDK and should contain adb and fastboot, use them in the terminal to flash recovery, e.g: ./fastboot flash recovery cwm.img

Guest Dazzozo

You'll have to reboot to the bootloader beforehand, either using an app or ./adb reboot bootloader.

Once you've flashed, run ./fastboot reboot and it should boot as normal - catch the boot in to recovery by holding vol- as normal.

Guest Lin1876

I've had another issue. I ran ./adb reboot bootloader and got an error message.

./adb reboot bootloader

./adb: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Guest Lin1876

Did some digging on the internet which told me to install the ia32-libs package which fixed my previous problem. However, ADB is now not recognising my device. When I run ./adb devices there's nothing listed. How do I get ADB to recognise the device, bearing in mind I can't get past the Android screen.

Guest Dazzozo
Did some digging on the internet which told me to install the ia32-libs package which fixed my previous problem. However, ADB is now not recognising my device. When I run ./adb devices there's nothing listed. How do I get ADB to recognise the device, bearing in mind I can't get past the Android screen.

./adb kill-server

sudo adb start-server

See if it recognises it with a root server.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Lin1876

No luck I'm afraid. I've read online I might have to fiddle around in udev. It's something I'd rather not do, but if needs must...

Guest Dazzozo

Very strange. On Debian I have to run the server as root for the majority of commands to work and fastboot doesn't list a device for me without it, but I've not had to touch udev myself.

Guest Lin1876

Am I right in assuming that the Android logo screen means you're in the bootloader? What I'm doing is booting the phone while it's connected to the computer by USB. It hangs on the Android screen, and I enter commands from there. I know people are having joy from putting their device into USB Development mode, but I obviously can't get that far. However, I would assume that being stuck in the bootloader (I assume) would be enough, but apparently not.

For the sake of trying I also tried everything in FTM mode (without success). I'll keep poking around in hope of a solution, but I'm getting into obscure results now.

Guest Dazzozo

Am I right in assuming that the Android logo screen means you're in the bootloader? What I'm doing is booting the phone while it's connected to the computer by USB. It hangs on the Android screen, and I enter commands from there. I know people are having joy from putting their device into USB Development mode, but I obviously can't get that far. However, I would assume that being stuck in the bootloader (I assume) would be enough, but apparently not.

For the sake of trying I also tried everything in FTM mode (without success). I'll keep poking around in hope of a solution, but I'm getting into obscure results now.

If you're stuck at the Android logo you're either at the bootloader or your regular boot up has failed.

Guest Lin1876

If you're stuck at the Android logo you're either at the bootloader or your regular boot up has failed.

What happens if your regular boot up has failed? Does it keep trying or does it just stick at a certain point? Perhaps more to the point, does it particularly affect whether the device would be recognised by ADB?

Guest Dazzozo

What happens if your regular boot up has failed? Does it keep trying or does it just stick at a certain point? Perhaps more to the point, does it particularly affect whether the device would be recognised by ADB?

Either, I think sometimes the device has an issue loading the kernel/boot partition and that just causes a complete hang until you battery pull (the LED stays permanently on), but sometimes a boot can fail but it continues to try (usually a problem in the system partition).

I'm not sure when in the boot process the device exposes ADB, or if that's different for fastboot. My guess would be that it's pretty early on otherwise fastboot would be quite useless.

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest Lin1876

Well when I turn it on the LED turns itself off quite quickly. If the best change to catch ADB is early on, how am I supposed to flash ClockworkMod back on?

Guest Dazzozo

Well when I turn it on the LED turns itself off quite quickly. If the best change to catch ADB is early on, how am I supposed to flash ClockworkMod back on?

Could either try a TPT or again, fastboot.

Guest Lin1876

Could either try a TPT or again, fastboot.

I did a quick Google search and it seems ZTE have something like this on their website. Downloading it now. Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even know what a TPT was until 10 minutes ago!

Guest Dazzozo

I did a quick Google search and it seems ZTE have something like this on their website. Downloading it now. Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even know what a TPT was until 10 minutes ago!

Yeah, there's a PDF in that zip that should explain things. You put a certain file on your SD and power up with another button combination (not sure but I think it's vol+) and it flashes every partition.

You will have awful stock Orange firmware though.