Build Quality of G300

Guest qwerty098

Guest qwerty098

Looking at upgrading from my Samsung Galaxy Ace, but the only thing that concerns me is the build quality, with it only being £100. Wondering if anyone who owns one could comment on its build quality compared to similarly priced phones? (Galaxy Ace/Lumia 710)

Guest Davidoff59

The Zte Blade was £100 also. This sold in huge numbers. There is a lot of competition for budget devices and the G300 is the best phone for the money available today. Check its specs against some of last years top of the range phones and you will see that last years high end is now in the G300.

Guest Davidoff59

Arm 7 CPU@ 1ghz. Ics coming officially from Huawei. 4 inch screen. Flash support.1650 ma battery. What's not to like. There are a few creaks from the chassis but you wont regret buying one.

Guest Davidoff59

Its a fairly new phone so longevity isn't known as yet. Build quality is ok. The creaks can be improved by tightening the rear screws and some don't have the creaks anyway. No regrets here anyway

This is my third android device and by far the best.

Yeah the case is plastic,but that's what £100 gets you.

In comparison to my blade and skate,the build quality is really good,it feels solid in the hand,and I have dropped it several times with no damage.

Go into vodafone and hold one you will see its well made.And the specs for the price is amazing,1Ghz snapdragon processor,4inch gorilla glass display(which is very good quality display)

The camera and video are very usable,the flash works well,unlike some devices where it washes color out of your snaps(yes I am talking about you zte skate)And the battery is very impressive which also has quick charge technology.

For the price its a very good device indeed,and I suspect a large community is growing here,which also is an important aspect of buying a new droid.

I really don't think the build quality is bad at all,very sturdy,maybe a little creaky sometimes,but with a case on there is no creaks at all,at least for me anyway.

Guest Davidoff59

I can't say build quality is better than the blade. My Blade is in great Nick still. Dropped onto tiles and landed on one edge and all it did was crack the camera plastic cover slightly. There is very little wear on the plastic either. There were no creaks either on the Blade.

The hardware is far better though.

In comparison to my partners Samsung Galaxy Europa, my Blade has aged so much better in terms of hardware, software and reliability.

Going from the G300 back to the Blade is horrible as a user experience perspective though.

Out of curiosity, how much was the Galaxy ace? I have done a quick search and saw a price of around £250 at launch. Sometimes paying a premium for a big name doesn't mean you get a better product or one that will last longer.

Huawei have huge aspirations of where they intend to be in 3 and 5 years. This will need to be backed up by good products. Basically if you sell crap at the start, then there will always be a customer perception that your products are crap and this is something that is very very hard to overcome. Word of mouth and online reviews spread far and wide.

So their intention now is probably to get market share by selling a well specced phone, to get their name out in the consumer domain and then probably start increasing their prices in future which appears to be the transition that Zte are going through now.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

No-one has mentioned the fact that it's got gorilla glass (as far as I know...not having one). I'd say that's pretty good build quality...especially for £100 !!

Guest qwerty098

Paid £150 nearly a year ago for my SGA, but it broke recently so am looking to upgrade, as its not much more to buy this than repair it.

Thanks for all the replies, will look at getting it now. Was just a bit worried with the price point that it would feel flimsy in the hand.

Guest Frankish

Jikobutsu did mention that above. But it's worth a double shout at this price point. Mine was slightly creaky but with my gel case it feels much better with no noise!

Guest RussellS

Personally I think the build quality is fine but then I also thought my Blade was good as well. It all depends what you are after.obviously you can't compare it to a metal bodied phone but then metal bodied phones have downsides as well.

it all depends how you look after it. My Blade is now 18 months old and still looks brand new but then it has always been in a gel case and I look after it. I wouldn't even start using my G300 until I had a gel case for it. A decent case not only keeps the phone in good condition but also absorbs knocks & scrapes, has better group in the hands and just makes it feel better.

So, in summary, definitely get one, put it in a decent case and put a screen protector on it. You won't be disappointed.

Guest Chazmeister

No creaks or funny noises from mine so far. The only bit that feels a bit cheap is the flimsy plastic cover for the back of the phone, that just feels horribly delicate every time you have to prize it off. Fortunately though once you have your sim of choice and SD card in then you shouldn't really need to be doing too much of that afterwards. With a gel cover and a decent screen protector on you should be good to go. Aside from that the phone has a nice weighty feel about it and actually feels quite solid and sturdy. Accidentally dropped mine a couple of times from being seated up in a parked Sprinter van onto the tarmac, and it survived both occasions with no ill effects or even any noticable marks that I could see, and that was before I had my case and screen protector for it.

Performance is pretty good to. Runs my GBA and SNES Roms through Gameboid and Snesoid a treat and the Co-Pilot sat nav software gets my thumbs up too.

So yeah, for £100 I'm pretty chuffed with it.

Edited by Chazmeister

Guest Paddy_

The one thing I will add to the above.

Due to the phone being made of smooth plastic, in can want to slip out of our hand with to much effort.

The case made by Niukin is very thing and made of a gripy material that help bucket loads. Also add to the structural integrity.

Great device for the money, but not quite as smooth running as the iphone4 I lost.

Guest Andymac1969

The one thing I will add to the above.

Due to the phone being made of smooth plastic, in can want to slip out of our hand with to much effort.

The case made by Niukin is very thing and made of a gripy material that help bucket loads. Also add to the structural integrity.

Great device for the money, but not quite as smooth running as the iphone4 I lost.

But the Iphone 4 was 4-5 times more expensive :blink:

Guest Davidoff59

Sacrilegious typing that here paddy lol. Wait until we get more custom roms on it and then you will see smooth. Even my Blade. @600mhz was smooth with custom roms. Slow maybe but smooth.

Guest Paddy_

I understand the price differance between the phone, but then one is a year older than the other and hardware is compairable.

Im not complaining,I just think 'for the hardware under the bonnet, the BHP isn't quite optimum, given the map'.

Prehaps as you say, im confusing smooth for slow.

Guest MrPuddington

Remember that the G300 will get ICS soon, while the Desire HD has a promise for "2012", but htc has recently delayed some ICS upgrades. So as funny as it is, I would trust Huawei more than htc in this case. And once you have seen ICS, you want it.

Guest mack_

I also had Samsung Galaxy Ace and i was frustrated with it so i swapped it for this and i haven't looked back once its unlocked you can fully enjoy the superior build quality and the user experience.

Unlike the SGA this has a better screen that doesn't feel like it going to give everything you touch it a little to hard and you can be happy that if you drop you can pick it up again.

The G300 is a budget android with high end specs- the term you get what you pay is underated.

But with the SGA you dont get what you pay for interms of speed,reliability and processing power.

Think about it!

Guest scuzzbucket

The G300 is a budget android with high end specs- the term you get what you pay is underated.

But with the SGA you dont get what you pay for interms of speed,reliability and processing power.

Think about it!

I had a Galaxy Ace too. One of the most frustrating Android phones I've owned. Low end masquerading as mid range. Traded mine in for a Neo and cash while price was still good last year.

Guest RussellS

I think that with phones like the Galaxy Ace you are just paying to have the name Samsung on the front of your phone. As long as you don't mind having Huawei printed on the front (which I don't) then the G300 is a much better buy.

Guest FrankieADZ

I think that with phones like the Galaxy Ace you are just paying to have the name Samsung on the front of your phone. As long as you don't mind having Huawei printed on the front (which I don't) then the G300 is a much better buy.

im kinda inclined to agree with you there.

Guest eLJay

im kinda inclined to agree with you there.

I'd agree. Up to now had the AMOLED Blade, got a Skate (which is a very very cool phone when you have it running ICS), got a white blade for the girlfriend (who dropped it so cracked the outer touch screen but it is still running), a Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman (still have to unlock it) and now a Huawei G300. I do still like the larger screen on the Skate but I can already tell the G300 processor is better just using the basic screens. My nephew just lost his phone so I expect I might sell him one and I will probably issue the Sony Ericsson to the gf and sell the old one for parts so I may soon be down to the G300 as my main phone with the Skate as a backup!

Got the G300 for £80 from CEX so just trying to get a cheap unlock code.

Edited by eLJay

Guest Smiff2

something tells me the G300 may last less well than the Blade, the plasticy Blade has an amazing ability to bounce and keep working (have 2, 18months old, one has had screen replaced twice due to severe drop and touch issue with first replacement but otherwise no issues with either).

we'll see.. i suspect the glass screen and thinness of the G300 will work against it.

any teardown/repair guides for G300 yet?

Edited by Smiff2