take backup of stock ROM

Guest chocoholic23

Guest chocoholic23

hi, ive been wanting to install a custom root on my zte skate, but i first would like to make a full backup of the phone incase it hangs in the middle. I'm from India, so i didnt see any stock roms available as all were Monte Carlo/orange which is not on mine. Kindly could you please advice on how to make a backup of everything before i install a custom rom on it

Guest razzmataz1478

I'm uploading the stuff now, i'll tell you what to do when they are done

Ok...I'm guessing you have a windows computer

Download this and unzip it anywhere

Rename the folder inside new clockwork mod to something easy to type

Open a command prompt and change directory to the folder inside 'new clockwork mod' so for example

cd downloads/new clockwork mod/backup
when you're in there, connect your phone to your computer by usb, do not mount storage. Then on your phone go settings>application>development>tick usb debugging In your command prompt type
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot boot clockworkmod.img

Now use the volume controls to navigate to backup/restore. Press home

Press home again on backup and it will start backing up your phone.

When it's finished, reboot system and it will be in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/the date

Edited by razzmataz1478

Guest chocoholic23

the usb cable was connected all along. as soon as i removed the cable, the phone automatically booted as normal to the normal phone mode

Guest chocoholic23

i installed tpt and followe all the steps . when it asked to choose zip from file, i chose the zip file, but soon message came as aborted and now the phone wont start. it always goes back to cwm based recovery.. please help!!!

Guest razzmataz1478

Go in mounts and storage menu...mount USB storage

Download rom again and copy to SD card

Pull USB cable

Flash zip

Guest chocoholic23

i did take a backup of the original rom. but it came as multiple files in 1 folder. is it possible to flash it back?

Guest chocoholic23

:D successfully loaded Skatie onto my cell. THANKS a lot!! but if i do want to return to my stock rom, what should i do?

Guest hugobosslives

download a stock rom and flash in clockwork

or if you made a nandroid backup. flash that through backup and restore

Guest chocoholic23

sorry, but whats a nandroid backup? i took a backup using clockwork mod, which made a number of image files into a folder and stored it in sd

Guest razzmataz1478

sorry, but whats a nandroid backup? i took a backup using clockwork mod, which made a number of image files into a folder and stored it in sd

A nandroid backup is the backup you did with all the .img files of your stock rom.

If you just want to go back to stock rom, just because you like that version, but in the future you might want to go back to a custom rom, then you turn your phone off, or reboot to recovery in the power menu, and then in backup and resotore menu just select restore. As far as I know this does not restore the recovery.img.

So say if your phone is broken and you need to return it to the shop, you have to get rid of clockworkmod. You will need to transfer the img files to your computer and like the first time

adb reboot bootloadeer
then with the .img files in the same folder as fastboot and adb,
fastboot flashall

Guest Pablo87

I just sold my Samsung Galaxy Ace and buy ZTE Skate. I also want to completly backup my stock ROM with stock recovery for warranty reasons. If I not missunderstood first I should make backup trought this proccedure that described razzmataz to back-up complete rom with stock recovery and than install cwm recovery ?

Will report how it went. But I never done this trough adb commands. Hope it goes well.

On Samsung this proccedure is much simpler: just download stock rom and odin, put phone in download mode and flash the rom trough odin in pda section...

Edited by Pablo87

Guest chocoholic23

all the best.. i did a backup through cwm and it was generated successfully and now i have flashed a custom mod on my skate :D

Guest Pablo87

I just sold my Samsung Galaxy Ace and buy ZTE Skate. I also want to completly backup my stock ROM with stock recovery for warranty reasons. If I not missunderstood first I should make backup trought this proccedure that described razzmataz to back-up complete rom with stock recovery and than install cwm recovery ?

Will report how it went. But I never done this trough adb commands. Hope it goes well.

On Samsung this proccedure is much simpler: just download stock rom and odin, put phone in download mode and flash the rom trough odin in pda section...

It seems that I missunderstood. :D First I must install CWM than make backup of stock rom which I did.

So say if your phone is broken and you need to return it to the shop, you have to get rid of clockworkmod. You will need to transfer the img files to your computer and like the first time

adb reboot bootloadeer
then with the .img files in the same folder as fastboot and adb,
fastboot flashall

If i do restore of stock rom from cwm, where to find stock recovery to get rid of cwm ? And this quoted text a way to do that ?

Guest razzmataz1478

YYou clearly didn't follow the instructions, as my original post stated a way in which it will backup stock recovery.

My way just simply boots clockwork mod, it doesn't install it.

Check in sdcard/goo manager/backup and see if there is a recovery.img

Guest Pablo87

YYou clearly didn't follow the instructions, as my original post stated a way in which it will backup stock recovery.

My way just simply boots clockwork mod, it doesn't install it.

Check in sdcard/goo manager/backup and see if there is a recovery.img

No I did not follow your instruction 'coz i think that this procedure will install cwm not only boot it.

And their no such dir on my sd - for known reason.

If I ever needed stock recovery hope someone will upload it.

Thanks anyway.

Guest razzmataz1478

No no this only boots clockowork mod. To flash recovery you have to do

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

And sorry, the dir was wrong it's/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup

This is created after you backup

Guest Pablo87

And sorry, the dir was wrong it's/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup

This is created after you backup

I already instaled cwm and I not new to android so know all the basic thinks.

And thank you. :-)