Totally lost

Guest buckleheid

Guest buckleheid

i have trawled thru most of the posts,read all the sticky posts and im more confused than ever

i have the phone workin atm,unlock code is being emailed to me in the next day or two,i have no sim inserted but have google accounts synched and alls well.

where im lost is whats my phones firmware at,i have tried to update it using the phone online upgrade tab,firmware upgrade and there are no updates to install,so should i now do the root thingy then do the clockwork recovery mod, i have some music on my external sd card and 2 apps on my phone,thats it.

bit confused with it all,i just want to get rid of the vodafone apps and tidy phone up a bit,any help/tips greatly appreciated.

I am assuming this is a new g300?

Go into settings then about phone and scroll to bottom where you will find build number

Assuming its B882 you will need the online upgrade to fix volume bug as well as a few others such as security loop.

Let us know what build you have?

If the volume fix is not in place you must sort this out before using a custom rom

And avoid the B888 leaked rom as you will not be able to go back to fix volume if not already done.

Edited by Guest

Guest buckleheid

even though my phone is still locked for other sim its still ok to root and do the clockwork mod?

ill root it first and the the clockword mod after it then..

hopefully it will work ok

Guest timfimjim

even though my phone is still locked for other sim its still ok to root and do the clockwork mod?

ill root it first and the the clockword mod after it then..

hopefully it will work ok

Yes, having your phone network locked doesn't affect rooting or CWM

Guest Davidoff59

Network unlock and root are totally different and one wont affect the other.

The B888 leak does fix the volume. That's what I used. You can't go back to an earlier rom though.

Its Paul's rom based on B888 that people were having sound issues with for some reason.

Rooting gives you full access to your device,

and clockworkmod(cwm) is the god of android :lol:

basically cwm is a custom recovery that enables you to backup your rom and install new ones.

Guest buckleheid

ok,ive done all the above now,even tweaked my fonts and got rid of some vodafone apps(not all)

i have rom toolbox pro and ive used it to customize my boot screen,what can i do now,is it worth trying the new roms that ppl are making now or just keep it as is for the time being as everything works fine and im still waiting on my sim unlock code..............damn you vodafone

Guest FrankieADZ

in my view, your best to stay with what you have for now, there arent many roms about at the minute to try so its not really worth chopping and changing.

If you are happy with your rom and it does everything you need,then there is no need to change roms,unless that rom has some new feature that you want,or it is ics/cm9,which would be an upgrade from gingerbread.

The problem is that flashing becomes very addictive,(roms that is :lol: ) and like me,you may end up flashing roms just for the sake of it,even though there is probably not anything in that new rom worth upgrading for.It kind of becomes like window shopping,or try before you by :lol:

The side effect of flashing roms all the time,is you never actually get to set up and use android,which is the point in getting an android in the first place.

What you end up doing is constantly tweaking and changing things,mainly just because android is open,so you can.

Guest FrankieADZ

If you are happy with your rom and it does everything you need,then there is no need to change roms,unless that rom has some new feature that you want,or it is ics/cm9,which would be an upgrade from gingerbread.

The problem is that flashing becomes very addictive,(roms that is :lol: ) and like me,you may end up flashing roms just for the sake of it,even though there is probably not anything in that new rom worth upgrading for.It kind of becomes like window shopping,or try before you by :lol:

The side effect of flashing roms all the time,is you never actually get to set up and use android,which is the point in getting an android in the first place.

What you end up doing is constantly tweaking and changing things,mainly just because android is open,so you can.

you said it, I had to try TeamWin Recovery for the phone today...along with trying the mods Tillaz did. lol

Guest buckleheid

if after unlocking the sim i find the phone to be all i need,i will still look and see what can be changed,only human nature :)

for my first android phone its a belter :D :D