Changing rom after a year on stock

Guest DirectCollect

Guest DirectCollect

I have invested a lot of time setting up stock rom with settings and applications. If I install a custom rom would I need to manually reinstall everything again and set all apps up how I like them?

Guest timfimjim

Is your phone rooted? I would suggest rooting your phone, getting 'titanium backup' from the market and backing up all user apps.

This will backup apps and data. Depending on what launcher you have, there might be an option to back up the launcher settings (you definitely can on launcher pro). I would recommend syncing contacts and calendar with Google, and maybe an sms backup app if you want.

When you have flashed your new rom just sync with Google, download titanium backup and restore user apps with data.

Guest DirectCollect

Thank you.

Yes I have a rooted phone. I have also unlocked it. I already have Titanium backup but assumed it would not back up again if I changed the ROM, so that is nice. Would I need to unlock it again if I changed ROM?

My main issue with the stock rom is that although I have removed all the Orange bloatware I still have run out of memory. The ROM supports the app2sd methods but only if the applications have been written to support it and a lot of the bigger apps like Google Maps, SwiftkeyX and Gmail don't!

So I would like a ROM which tricks the phone into thinking the SD card is an extension of the phones on board memory. I would also like a ROM which can allow the accelerometer to work with the screen off, for my sleep tracking apps. Currently the phone has to be plugged into the mains which is not ideal. If anyone has a suggested ROM which can do these two things please advise.

(The number of ROMS on here is getting so large that it's all a bit bewildering!)

Is your phone rooted? I would suggest rooting your phone, getting 'titanium backup' from the market and backing up all user apps.

This will backup apps and data. Depending on what launcher you have, there might be an option to back up the launcher settings (you definitely can on launcher pro). I would recommend syncing contacts and calendar with Google, and maybe an sms backup app if you want.

When you have flashed your new rom just sync with Google, download titanium backup and restore user apps with data.

Guest utternoob

For space used link2sd because you are rooted it will work. Use tillaz's guide to partition sd if not already done so

Guest Redstarr1

Thank you.

Yes I have a rooted phone. I have also unlocked it. I already have Titanium backup but assumed it would not back up again if I changed the ROM, so that is nice. Would I need to unlock it again if I changed ROM?

My main issue with the stock rom is that although I have removed all the Orange bloatware I still have run out of memory. The ROM supports the app2sd methods but only if the applications have been written to support it and a lot of the bigger apps like Google Maps, SwiftkeyX and Gmail don't!

So I would like a ROM which tricks the phone into thinking the SD card is an extension of the phones on board memory. I would also like a ROM which can allow the accelerometer to work with the screen off, for my sleep tracking apps. Currently the phone has to be plugged into the mains which is not ideal. If anyone has a suggested ROM which can do these two things please advise.

(The number of ROMS on here is getting so large that it's all a bit bewildering!)

You should indeed use Link2SD like Utternoob says, it's not necessary to change rom for that, just install the app and partition the sd-card as in Tillaz's guide.

About the accelerometer, I'm afraid that's an Android issue. The accelerometer only works with the screen on. There might be workarounds, but that would mean preventing the phone going into power saving mode. So that's not really a battery saver ...

Guest timfimjim

If you change rom you will not need to unlock your phone again.

Also a TPT would free up more space. Have a look at those when you know what rom you want to use

Guest DirectCollect

Thanks guys.

I have installed the link2sd app and following Tillaz' guide. Looks great so far and should give me 500 MB of storage for apps.

And thanks for the technical commentary on the accelerometer issues -- I just assumed it was a ROM issue.

You should indeed use Link2SD like Utternoob says, it's not necessary to change rom for that, just install the app and partition the sd-card as in Tillaz's guide.

About the accelerometer, I'm afraid that's an Android issue. The accelerometer only works with the screen on. There might be workarounds, but that would mean preventing the phone going into power saving mode. So that's not really a battery saver ...