ZTE (ICS) Skate, what's next ? Huawei Ascend G300 ?

Guest Skate Away

Guest Skate Away

I'm on my 2nd Android phone, firstly a HTC CM7 Wildfire, now a ZTE CM9 Skate.

I'd like to upgrade, is the G300 really much of a step up ?

What's the best UK PAYG deal ?

Any ideas/recommendations appreciated...

Guest Sonny Atwal

I have went from the ZTE Blade to the ZTE Skate and have just ordered the G300 (gets delivered tomorrow) and my Skate sells on ebay on friday.

I have not done it for a huge upgrade but in order to get the most amount of money i can for my Skate whilst it is still worth something. I'm hoping it sells for £80+, making the "upgrade" essentially £20. Otherwise I reckon the Skate will be worth £50ish come 6 months time.

The G300 has a smaller screen but it has much better internals and storage space, just hope the custom rom's get more support

Guest Skate Away

I have not done it for a huge upgrade.......The G300 has a smaller screen but it has much better internals and storage space

Well..I'd rather have the larger screen tbh, but the lack of storage space is a major PITA and I'm hoping the G300 has a better camera - the Skate camera came as something of a shock after using the HTC Wildfire's camera.....

Edited by Skate Away

Guest Sonny Atwal

Well..I'd rather have the larger screen tbh, but the lack of storage space is a major PITA and I'm hoping the G300 has a better camera - the Skate camera came as something of a shock after using the HTC Wildfire's camera.....

the difference is minimal at best in terms of screen size, it's 4 inches vs 4.3 inches

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3784&idPhone2=4594

that shows you that the ascend has a lot better quality of screen IPS LCD vs TFT

it weighs more but that is due to better build quality in my eyes. much better battery life. better internal storage. better wi-fi, better android (official ICS). better cpu.

when you look at it like that, is an extra .3 inches really worth it over a much better phone?

Guest Skate Away

it weighs more but that is due to better build quality in my eyes. much better battery life. better internal storage. better wi-fi, better android (official ICS). better cpu.

when you look at it like that, is an extra .3 inches really worth it over a much better phone?

That's exactly what I was asking....

;)

Edit: That site says the Skate doesn't have a FM radio ?

Edited by Skate Away

Guest Skate Away

Update:

Today I had a chance to try the G300 and form some (hopefully unbiased) opinions of it.

The casing and soft buttons reminded me of the Wildfire I have and it was quite nice to use.

Unfortunately the faster processor didn't equate to faster navigation - it seemed a fair bit slower than my CM9 Skate.

Also the 0.3" screen size does make a very noticable difference 5.2cm x 8.7cm vs. 5.6cm x 9.3cm - a real difference of 15%, the higher quality of the G300 screen was not readily apparent in a side by side test.

I would have liked to have tried the camera more extensively, but I didn't have the opportunity to take photos under differing conditions and compare them on a pc, unfortunately.

For me the only benefit that was obvious would be the extra storage and while that would be very nice to have so is the additional 15% real estate.

I hope this micro-review doesn't upset too many people - it is fairly unbiased.

Anyway, I (personally) wouldn't upgrade to a G300 - it just doesn't feel like it is an upgrade.

Here's hoping the San Diego gets rooted....

Guest e.miron

How about upgrade to G300 from Wildfire?. My gf's contract has expired and I can get one from Vodafone Spain at 119 €.

Guest Skate Away

How about upgrade to G300 from Wildfire?. My gf's contract has expired and I can get one from Vodafone Spain at 119 €.

I haven't done an in depth review of either phone, so I'd recommend you get more opinions (plenty of reviews out there)...

However, that said, the G300 should be a great step up - the only aspect of the wildfire that the skate didn't beat hands down is the camera (I still have both phones), hopefully the G300 has a much better camera than the skate and with luck as good as the Wildfire.

When I went from the wildfire to the skate, I was surprised at the difference in performance, even though the Wildfire was/is clocked.

In your position I'd certainly buy the G300 immediately.

:)

Why not see what G300 owners are saying ?

Guest Hogweed

Update:

Today I had a chance to try the G300 and form some (hopefully unbiased) opinions of it.

Unfortunately the faster processor didn't equate to faster navigation - it seemed a fair bit slower than my CM9 Skate.

Anyway, I (personally) wouldn't upgrade to a G300 - it just doesn't feel like it is an upgrade.

Did you try out the G300 on a stock Gingerbread ROM? The phone is much more responsive with Paul's Modaco Gr2 (B888 based) ROM for instance than with Vodafone stock. And now there's ICS (official Chinese release with UK Vodafone branded imminent) and CM9 almost fully completed (camera and BT not yet working) as well to play with.

Edited by Hogweed