Improve memory management using ICS

Guest weckl

Guest weckl

I found this topic interesting : (You need to be ROOT and use a root file manager like Root Explorer )

Find build.prop file in \system directory. Edit it and find for

dalvik.vm.heapsize = **

Add or edit this so final edit to look like this:

• dalvik.vm.heapstartsize = 5m
  • dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit = 24m
  • dalvik.vm.heapsize = 32m

All credit to:

http://bbs.anzhi.com...325227-1-1.html

Edited by weckl

Guest weckl

Exactly. As Hpez says this is somekind of supercharger manual method. For what I seem to understand from chinese forum this modification takes care of background processes somehow. Sorry, for not explain it clearly...maybe an expert developer of Modaco can explain it much better.

Guest timfimjim

Yeah I noticed vm heapsize is 64m by default, I thought 48m was optimum for the amount of ram we have? Or is that debatable?

Guest weckl

Yeah I noticed vm heapsize is 64m by default, I thought 48m was optimum for the amount of ram we have? Or is that debatable?

Well I really don't have no idea but if that chinese guy have posted a topic remarking those valors then I guess somekind of improvement in performance should be noticed.

Guest Adyx00

Should I be worried that I have two dalvik.vm.heapsize entries and no dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit when I use Rom Toolbox to edit build.prop? I've also opened it in ES File Esplorer and dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit is commented out. There's also another line zhangqijia delete dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=36 temporarily. This is also commented out.

Guest ADROW

That supercharger thread is too busy for it's own good, information overload :-) I got it installed though and it's certainly feels like it's made an improvement to MIUI in terms of responsiveness.

Guest Adyx00

5,36,24,32 is what mine is now set to Adyx in Rom toolbox

Yeah I have the others set, I'm just wondering why dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit is commented out (and thus not appearing in ROm Toolbox). I'll try un-commenting it and see what happens.

Edit: Two reboots later and everything seems to be working fine. heapgrowthlimit is set to 24 and showing in Rom Toolbox. Although ES wouldn't save my build.prop for some reason so I had to use the browser in Rom Toolbox with it's tiny, tiny font.

Edited by Adyx00

Guest eirlysbill1

yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I have RomToolbox pro, but didn't know where to find those settings. Found the buildprop tweak feature, in that app, but couldn't find adyx, nor all of the davilk settings mention in the op.

So, wondered if its because I'm on GB? Although I'm using AtomicMod, and I know that tillaz has it tweaked (so why worry) :D .

I guess really I'm just trying to go to school here.

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest Davidoff59

That's what I did Dazzozo as I think the first entry is deleted after boot or something similar.

Its on every rom Bill.

Build prop tweaks is where you will find it. This is the quickest way but this thread is for ics so as there are a few entries to edit, it requires going into build prop. There is a shortcut for that in rom toolbox or you can navigate to it manually.

Guest Adyx00

yeah, sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I have RomToolbox pro, but didn't know where to find those settings. Found the buildprop tweak feature, in that app, but couldn't find adyx, nor all of the davilk settings mention in the op.

So, wondered if its because I'm on GB? Although I'm using AtomicMod, and I know that tillaz has it tweaked (so why worry) :D .

I guess really I'm just trying to go to school here.

Just to be clear too, my username is Adyx00, there's no adyx in Rom Toolbox. :P

Guest Ellis456q

Should I be worried that I have two dalvik.vm.heapsize entries and no dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit when I use Rom Toolbox to edit build.prop? I've also opened it in ES File Esplorer and dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit is commented out. There's also another line zhangqijia delete dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=36 temporarily. This is also commented out.

I have this too, anyway of editing this?. Thanks.

Guest eirlysbill1

Just to be clear too, my username is Adyx00, there's no adyx in Rom Toolbox. :P

hmmmm that make sense. Didn't notice your name mate. Its all greek to me anyway :D

Guest Adyx00

I have this too, anyway of editing this?. Thanks.

I left the two vm.heapsize entries in and just changed their value. If you mean dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit. Open build.prop in a root file manager (I use ES File Explorer's built-in text editor). Look for the appropiate line, there should be a # before it. All you have to do is delete the # and change the value to 24 and then save and reboot. I didn't delete anything from build.prop and my phone is working fine but of course I accept no responsibility if it breaks your phone. Back up your build.prop first too.

Edited by Adyx00

The big problem with XDA is tutorials almost always assume familiarity with tools being used or what you're doing. I can make heads nor tails of that.

Will give it a shot in the morning when I've a clear head.

I agree, that thread is like looking at a nest of rats it is so convoluted but it is worth doing if you can suss it.

Edit: If I get time I might try to write a guide for installing it on a G300, I have done it on a few devices so am quite familiar with it.

Edited by Hpez