Photo

[idea] two ROMs on one device (aka dualboot)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Computers, MObilez...
  • Devices:DELL XCD35 aka ZTE BLADE

That would solve the issues for flashing the second rom, but... That solution would also mean that we have to compile for every new version. That's a great start, but having some kind of patcher to turn a normal boot.img into a multiboot boot.img would make more sense. What if we would check the differences between an ordinary and a patched initrd, and then apply them with diff & bsdiff... We could build an update.zip for it, Burstlam's kernel updater package is a great base, it has the tools needed to split and repack a boot.img, we would need to compile some tools to modify the initrd itself, though.

Can you link me to the Burstlam's tool?

Sony Ericsson UI On your ZTE BLADE

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

Can you link me to the Burstlam's tool?

Huhh, that was a long ago, when the gb kernel source came out... Wait a minute, I will find it.

That was the thread: http://www.modaco.co...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Sulthekk, 16 July 2012 - 04:12 PM.

KonstaT

KonstaT

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, ZTE Blade III

...Burstlam's kernel updater package is a great base, it has the tools needed to split and repack a boot.img, we would need to compile some tools to modify the initrd itself, though.

Fyi, It's koush's AnyKernel.

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Huhh, that was a long ago, when the gb kernel source came out... Wait a minute, I will find it.

That was the thread: http://www.modaco.co...__fromsearch__1

thanks

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Fyi, It's koush's AnyKernel.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that.

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Where i can found the instructions for the tool?

Edited by android@sam, 16 July 2012 - 05:58 PM.

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Where i can found the instructions for the tool?

I don't think anybody ever wrote a guide for it. That's basically an Edify script which calls binary command line tools to do the job. It needs 2 things to know: Edify and how to run a cli application. But first, we should check it out that we can create a working multiboot image, because writing a patcher is step further away. I just mentioned it because it can fix an important problem (make it working with any boot.img).

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I don't think anybody ever wrote a guide for it. That's basically an Edify script which calls binary command line tools to do the job. It needs 2 things to know: Edify and how to run a cli application. But first, we should check it out that we can create a working multiboot image, because writing a patcher is step further away. I just mentioned it because it can fix an important problem (make it working with any boot.img).

Thanks!By the way just got the zte kernel source ad will start the compiling soon!

"CYANSCAPE"

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Tried the compiling.Compiled successfully but it breaks the recovery.So will have to try something different.

Edited by android@sam, 17 July 2012 - 03:36 PM.

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Tried the compiling.Compiled successfully but it breaks the recovery.So will have to try something different.

Is the code looking for a specific button or any button triggers the alternate boot? What about changing it to look for a specific keycode, for example the home or the back button?

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Is the code looking for a specific button or any button triggers the alternate boot? What about changing it to look for a specific keycode, for example the home or the back button?

Button trigger was all set and you have to press home button for booting into the second rom.But it needs the dual boot integrated recovery which flashes the secondary rom on /sdcard or /sd-ext.But the recovery is broken.

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Button trigger was all set and you have to press home button for booting into the second rom.But it needs the dual boot integrated recovery which flashes the secondary rom on /sdcard or /sd-ext.But the recovery is broken.

Probably because the recovery is inside the initrd too... Okay, a dual-boot recovery would needed some more mods anyway, but were you able to boot any second rom? I mean you obviously can't just flash, but modifying the paths in the updater-script (in case of re-installed normal recovery) or copying files manually should be enough...

Edited by Sulthekk, 17 July 2012 - 04:32 PM.

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Probably because the recovery is inside the initrd too... Okay, a dual-boot recovery would needed some more mods anyway, but were you able to boot any second rom? I mean you obviously can't just flash, but modifying the paths in the updater-script (in case of re-installed normal recovery) or copying files manually should be enough...

No but i will try by changing the paths in the updater script.

"CYANSCAPE"

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
If everything fails,then we can run the second rom as chrooted that means top on the original rom.

"CYANSCAPE"

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
If everything fails,then we can run the second rom as chrooted that means top on the original rom.

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

But if they are totally different ( like ICS or JB compared to any GB ) they need different kernels! That's something that can't be done with simply chrooting...
If that fails there's still kexec. After some reading it looks like something that may actually work if a lot of time is spent in it...

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

But if they are totally different ( like ICS or JB compared to any GB ) they need different kernels! That's something that can't be done with simply chrooting...
If that fails there's still kexec. After some reading it looks like something that may actually work if a lot of time is spent in it...

Ok so we will have to work on kexec now.This project is going more exciting now.

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Ok so we will have to work on kexec now.This project is going more exciting now.

Just for curiosity: what patches have you tried to implement?

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Just for curiosity: what patches have you tried to implement?

I patch the /init folder in the source from a dual boot kernel that is i patched initramfs.c in the source it compiled successfully.But recovery included in it was configured for another phone so it was broken.

"CYANSCAPE"

Sulthekk

Sulthekk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

I patch the /init folder in the source from a dual boot kernel that is i patched initramfs.c in the source it compiled successfully.But recovery included in it was configured for another phone so it was broken.

Wait... Recovery in the source of an experimental dual boot kernel? Is it a samsung device?

Edited by Sulthekk, 18 July 2012 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users