Firefox OS

Guest Roeloff

Guest Sulthekk

yeah. firefox OS, not Android. this is a android forum.

but let the developers talk ;/

FOS (OMG! That sounds awful in Hungarian! :D) has the same Linux core under the hood as Android, so the Blade should be fully compatible with it.

Guest Snap.IT

FOS (OMG! That sounds awful in Hungarian! :D) has the same Linux core under the hood as Android, so the Blade should be fully compatible with it.

It's even worse in English, the abbreviation FOS stands for "Full Of S-h-i-t" in Internet English. :D

I sincerely doubt they'll be naming it that. :D

Guest Sulthekk

It's even worse in English, the abbreviation FOS stands for "Full Of S-h-i-t" in Internet English. :D

I sincerely doubt they'll be naming it that. :D

Well, in Hungarian it stands for 'urine', they are very close (in meaning. :) )

Edited by Sulthekk

Guest shezar

Well, in Hungarian it stands for 'urine', they are very close (in meaning. :) )

You are mistaken, fos means literally sh1t in hungarian. Anyways this is not the place... Firefox OS would be quite promising. But I think it's a year or two late.

Guest Sulthekk

You are mistaken, fos means literally sh1t in hungarian. Anyways this is not the place... Firefox OS would be quite promising. But I think it's a year or two late.

No, that's 'szar'... Fos comes from the french/spanish (can't remember, but both languages has the word) fossé, which means 'ditch', because those soldiers left their output in the ditch, they told the Hungarians where they go, but some of they thought it's a verb and begin to use it for that activity. (ie. fosni)

At least that's what my teacher said.

Guest shezar

I'm from Hungary

So am I :)

Trust me. Dictionary: http://szotar.sztaki.hu/dict_search.php?M=1&O=HUN&E=1&C=1&A=0&S=H&T=1&D=0&G=0&P=0&F=0&MR=100&orig_lang=HUN%3AENG%3AEngHunDict&orig_mode=1&orig_word=fos&flash=&sid=5500539b85f25421609224e2b46b46b5&vk=&L=HUN%3AENG%3AEngHunDict&W=fos

Anyway, in my whole life both me and the people around me used the word fos as s***.

Urine is pisi, húgy, vizelet, etc....

This is how a thread about a mobile operating system turns into a language-specific one. ;) Guys, if you don't speak Hungarian, learn it. It's fun :)

Guest Sulthekk

Trust me. Dictionary: http://szotar.sztaki.hu/dict_search.php?M=1&O=HUN&E=1&C=1&A=0&S=H&T=1&D=0&G=0&P=0&F=0&MR=100&orig_lang=HUN%3AENG%3AEngHunDict&orig_mode=1&orig_word=fos&flash=&sid=5500539b85f25421609224e2b46b46b5&vk=&L=HUN%3AENG%3AEngHunDict&W=fos

Anyway, in my whole life both me and the people around me used the word fos as s***.

Well, my teacher is a bit philosophic and a real 'all-rounder', so I'm going to just trust him after all. I personally know no other person I can talk about quantum physics yet.

:)

This is how a thread about a mobile operating system turns into a language-specific one. ;) Guys, if you don't speak Hungarian, learn it. It's fun :)

That's true. :D

Guest shezar

Well, my teacher is a bit philosophic and a real 'all-rounder', so I'm going to just trust him after all. I personally know no other person I can talk about quantum physics yet.

I may accept that the original meaning was in fact, what you said above.

By the way, being a web-programming enthusiast, I see much in a platform based on HTML and JS, but I don't think it can be a real competition to native code and hardware-accelerated java in terms of raw performance. That means, in order to achieve the same user experience, one needs stronger hardware (or much (MUCH) better optimized code) on the Firefox OS phone. Why? Because JS is an interpreted language, which has interpreters that are highly optimized, it still runs an abstraction level higher that Java/compiled C, C++.

We'll see shortly if my thoughts here are right.

Guest Sulthekk

Have you ever seen the JS based Linux virtual machine? Surprisingly it runs well on blade with Opera Mobile... Except for keyboard. Now, if the browser is the GUI instead of being an app, it has waaay more memory and can be optimized to a level that can't be achieved with a browser app... I think this thing is promising...

Here comes a link: http://boingboing.net/2011/05/18/javascript-based-pc.html

Edited by Sulthekk

Guest Snap.IT

Trust me. Dictionary: http://szotar.sztaki...ngHunDict&W=fos

I speak five languages, my brain is full. :(

Guest Mtman1

Please stop making this into a language topic :/

Anyway, I'm not really sure why anybody would actually want firefox os (b2g), as there will probably be hardly any apps. If you want something that has the looks, just use miui.

Can anybody tell me why you would want this?

Edit: I know why you want it now and I probably underestimated the amount of apps (only time will tell)

Edited by Mtman1

Guest shezar

Because it is new and shiny and has a nice smell.

The reason is that a LOT of people can write programs for it as it is purely based on web technologies. HTML and Javascript are easy enough, there are tons of tutorials, articles to them, but Java can scare the s*** out of people who can't program yet.

Guest Snap.IT

Anyway, I'm not really sure why anybody would actually want firefox os (b2g), as there will probably be hardly any apps. If you want something that has the looks, just use miui.

"there will hardly be any apps" is what the IOS crowd said about Android when it was being developed.

If you build it (the OS) they (the app devs) will come.

Guest Snap.IT

Because it is new and shiny and has a nice smell.

The reason is that a LOT of people can write programs for it as it is purely based on web technologies. HTML and Javascript are easy enough, there are tons of tutorials, articles to them, but Java can scare the s*** out of people who can't program yet.

Some competition isn't a bad thing either, competition breeds innovation.

Personally i loathe Java but i loathe Javascript even more, if there ever is an app for b2g written in Javascript i'd never use it on general principle.

I'd like a new platform that only accepts binaries. :D

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest Sulthekk

Android is now getting more and more problematic with every major version. That can be an alternitave OS that may replace it if we can't get any further, and you heavily underestimate the number of apps... As F-OS will be GPL-ed, I'm sure a lot of geeks will prefer it to android just for that, actually I saw that many only refuse to think android as a 'real' linux distro because it don't has a copyleft license. That people will surely be able to write apps in 5 minutes for almost any problem.

Guest Roeloff

Android is now getting more and more problematic with every major version. That can be an alternitave OS that may replace it if we can't get any further, and you heavily underestimate the number of apps... As F-OS will be GPL-ed, I'm sure a lot of geeks will prefer it to android just for that, actually I saw that many only refuse to think android as a 'real' linux distro because it don't has a copyleft license. That people will surely be able to write apps in 5 minutes for almost any problem.

Apps will be HTML5 so they should be easy to port. I'm excited about Firefox OS because it will be completely open source and hopefully will run like greased lightning on the Blade. There'll come a time when the Blade won't cope with the next Android version, but Firefox OS may give it a new lease of life.

Edited by Roeloff

Guest rchars

What makes you guys think that this will work on ARMv6?

I may accept that the original meaning was in fact, what you said above.

By the way, being a web-programming enthusiast, I see much in a platform based on HTML and JS, but I don't think it can be a real competition to native code and hardware-accelerated java in terms of raw performance. That means, in order to achieve the same user experience, one needs stronger hardware (or much (MUCH) better optimized code) on the Firefox OS phone. Why? Because JS is an interpreted language, which has interpreters that are highly optimized, it still runs an abstraction level higher that Java/compiled C, C++.

We'll see shortly if my thoughts here are right.

JS is JIT compiled. It's not the ugly awkward cousin anymore but the hot, slim one that you wish you could f...

Take a look at node.js! It's a really fast event based web-server.

Edited by rchars

Guest Sulthekk

What makes you guys think that this will work on ARMv6?

First, it's aimed at low end smartphones.

Second, all apps are written in HTML5+JS, if you can get the OS running, you got all apps running.

Guest rchars

First, it's aimed at low end smartphones.

Second, all apps are written in HTML5+JS, if you can get the OS running, you got all apps running.

But the low-end of today is not the same as that of next-year.

Also their browser is barely working on this architecture.