Acer Liquid Gallant Duo landing in August with rock bottom price and above average specs

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Ice Cream Sandwich. 1GHz Processor. 1GB RAM. 4GB Internal Storage. 4.3" QHD Display. 5 Megapixel Camera with LED Flash. Oh, and Dual SIM. Available in white and black. All for <£150? Admit it, you're intrigued aren't you!

The specs above belong to the Acer Liquid Gallant Duo, which is not only the worst named phone in the history of the world, but also an interesting new assault on the low end market from the disappointing-of-late Acer.

The full specs...

• CPU speed: 1GHz, MTK 6575
  • Platform: Android Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Network: HSPA/WCDMA 900/2100 MHz / Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz / (Band frequency, HSPA availability, and data speed are operator dependent)
  • Dual SIM
  • Memory: Internal phone storage: 4GB / RAM: 1GB / microSD slot (up to 32GB)
  • Display: 4.3-inch touch screen with qHD resolution
  • GPS: Internal GPS antenna
  • Sensors: Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor
  • Connectivity: Bluetooth® 3.0 + EDR / Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11b/g/n / 3.5 mm stereo audio jack / Standard micro-USB
  • Camera: 5 megapixel camera, LED flash
  • Battery: Li-ion battery 1500 mAh
  • Weight: 145 grams with battery
  • Dimensions: (LxWxT): 129 x 65,9 x 9,9 mm

While their recent releases have been underwhelming, I do have fond memories of my original Acer Liquid, despite it's more-flexible-than-a-rubber-band construction.

The big unknown on the spec sheet is the 'MTK 6575', not a CPU i'm familiar with, but it apparently has been shipping out on all sorts of cheap Chinese devices (you know the ones I mean) already.

The ALGD (as it shall now be known) is slated for release 8th August 2012, in both black and white, via Expansys priced at only £148.99!

As the champions of low cost devices, this is a device MoDaCo will definitely keep a keen eye on!

Click here to view the item

Guest dbbloke

Did that read Dual SIM :) Now, that is something very useful if you like to keep costs down with mates payg free 1-1 calls or one phone sim and one broadband sim. Don't think the ERA has that! So how much will an ERA be is the question based on the pricing of this lovely?? Agree, not an ACER fan but looks promising, anyone wanna buy a g300 :)

Guest fahim.yaqoob

Did that read Dual SIM :) Now, that is something very useful if you like to keep costs down with mates payg free 1-1 calls or one phone sim and one broadband sim. Don't think the ERA has that! So how much will an ERA be is the question based on the pricing of this lovely?? Agree, not an ACER fan but looks promising, anyone wanna buy a g300 :)

bro put it up on gumtree. i sold mine, but the idiot is selling it for more :(

Guest dbbloke

Guess it depends on price and partnerships? But, ok, hands up you got me, doh. I meant to say Grand X.

Honestly ZTE, it doesn't help when you change names from Mimosa to Grand, have to remember three names for 2 phones.

Guest Sere83

The MTK6575 is actually a single core 1GHZ Cortex A9 based Soc which uses the now rather dated PowerVR SGX531 GPU. This soc powers just about every chinese made clone and loads of other phones from more reputable chinese manufacturers too including ZTE and Lenovo.

Similarly speced phones like the lesser known but pretty decent chinese branded Zopo zp5oo are available for as low as £100 from chinese exporters...

http://android-sale....roid-phone.html

This is a very competitive price point from Acer though and this chipset actually boots the phone very quickly and the ICS builds are actually pretty damn good despite the aged GPU.

I also think this soc will out perform the Qualcomm msm7227A found in the Huawei Ascend G300, despite the older A9 architecture.

It is also worth noting MTK have released an upgraded 1.2ghz dual core version of this chipset called the MT6577, unfortunately they have stuck with the same GPU. There is already a lenovo phone and a couple of others out in China running the 6577, although it is very new to market.

Guest The Soup Thief

The Duo in "Acer Liquid Gallant Duo" refers to the dual sim (as in Alcatel Blaze Duo, Samsung Player Duo and Lg Cookie Duo) rather than dual core.

Though by the same logic the Huawei Ascend D Quad should have 4 sims (rather than the 4 cores it has)

Guest Sere83

Pah bad news. Glow runs the Qualcomm 7227A I think, I'm over it tbh. An MTK with 4.3 inch QHD would have been a far a more interesting prospect

Guest Sir_Didymus

Thanks for the info Sere83. Was actually hoping that I was wrong and that we're finally going to see dual core phones under the £150 mark. Lol that's not going to happen anytime soon I suppose.

Guest Sere83

Well, people seem to overlook China as it's basically a mine field if you don't know what for or where to look and there's obviously a lack of community/manufacturer support, but i'm sure some of the upcoming Dual core MTK6577 phones will be good and sub $230. Some of the MTK6575 phones are even pretty capable.

Saying that for around £175 you can also bag yourself the new Xiaomi Mi-One Youth edition with a slightly slower than its bigger brother, 1.2ghz Qualcomm Dual core CPU and 768MB RAM. I have the normal 1.5GHZ version with 1GB Ram and why this phone has not got more of a following on modaco bewilders me. To put it simply, It's amazing and also a hackers wet dream.

Everyone knows how good MIUI is, i'm getting weekly OTA updates to the ICS build, with constant tweaks and added new features which Is flashed directly to the second partition. This phone also comes rooted out the box. No other company in the world supports their android builds like this. People need to start getting involved, best android experience I have ever had on a phone and just keeps getting better and better. These guys put Samsung/HTC/Sony etc to shame

Guest Sere83

Well...I ordered from a personal connection out in China who doesn't generally sell the Xiaomi models but there are a few reputable chinese exporters about, but obviously like any seller there are good and bad reviews floating about too. Here are a few that I believe to be reputable although I have no personal experience of dealing with them, so cannot vouch for them personally.

www.merimobiles.com

www.hotmid.com

www.android-sale.com

If you do decide to order ALWAYS use Paypal though, which can help if problems arise. Also head over to http://miuiandroid.com and read some of the Mi-One forum posts, maybe drop a post asking where people bought theirs from, that is the main English support forum for all Xiaomi/MIUI related things, they are very knowledgeable and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi, using PayPal for anything other than an eBay purchase is like paying with cash. You will not be covered by PayPal. A credit card is definitely the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ascend

Am really interested in a dual sim. Are there any other contenders at this sort of price point?

Don't forget Quidco or Topcashback if you go for it. 5% if it tracks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.