Just a quick question for the mo. The size of the output. Decompressing the output zip gives something much bigger than KonstaT's build, even after trimming away the tts folder and most of the multimedia. Looking a bit closer reveals that the apps folder is nearly twice the size of his, and is full of surprises, the biggest being Trebuchet.apk. His weighs in at just 594K and mine weighs in at 12M. Wow.
Yeah, I've done quite a bit of trimming. I haven't bothered to upload the trimming patches for CM10 to my github, but similar patches to my CM9 build are available (same place - ics branch).
Install pngcrush or optipng to your build machine and revert the 'compress .arsc' commit - those two have the most effect on apk size. I've removed wallpapers (yeah, almost worth 12mb
) from Trebuchet, that explains it.
I confess I am a bit of a newbie here, I am glad I got so far. Could anyone tell me the commands needed to revert that change? I know I could do a git checkout in that part of the android source tree and manually remove those 9 characters from that file, but that's cheating.
You can revert commits with 'git revert commit-sha'. For example for the .arsc compression commit it would be:
git revert bb56531b18d89296e8328394f3126e4602b2714e
I personally like to keep commits like that on a separate branch, where they are applied on top upstream head after repo sync. E.g.
repo start branchname ./vendor/cm
and then apply patches or reverts (as above) or commit whatever changes to this branch.
i personally prefer this method to the coldfusionx method of maintaining a bunch of other trees, it keeps it more of a pure cm10 and is easier.
Yeah, the code might be more readable if it was applied to a tree and uploaded to github vs. being in patch form. On the negative side, it would require constant attention from the maintainer of that github and merging/pushing branches. Otherwise parts of your build could be days/weeks old compared to the actual cm10 upstream. It would never work for me as I like to cherry-pick work in progress gerrit patches etc. It's better to keep stuff like that on top of upstream head instead of buried somewhere between bunch of other commits.
Like already said, I'm just trying to maintain the device specific parts (and couple of patches that are needed) so that people can build cm10 for Blade by themselves. Objective is not that everyone will compile the exact same build as I'm posting here (it's not that 'pure' cm10 - it's trimmed with some extras
Ok status report on my compiling efforts.
My very first build installs and runs ok, didn't try to do very much with it. Then I applied the pdroid source patches and compiled again. That one works fine too.
Now I have a working Konstat cm10 with pdroid running fine. I am chuffed.
Congrats and welcome to the world of self-compiling ROMs.
External apps can be used for this, and it looks like USB tethering was locked (or at least not released) by Google in JB (athough this was only an assumption from KonstaT)
Well, not so much as locked but they've probably changed how network interface routines are handled.