Re-lock bootloader?

Guest niavlys1

Guest niavlys1

Hello,

I installed the B927 rom on my Ascend. Since I found it really slowed down the phone, I decided to use the V6 Supercharger script, which required to root the phone.

My mistake was when I used unlockbootloader.exe : although I just needed to root the phone in order to get the script to work, I also clicked on the "Unlock Bootloader" button, and so I guess I unlocked the bootloader. I've understood doing this is necessary to use clockworkmod , but I don't need this (unless I'm missing something).

I read that unlocking the bootloader may void the warranty of the phone, and that's why I'm a little worried, I didn't intend to go that far into modding the device.

It seems easy to unroot the phone ,but is there also a way to undo the unlocking, and do as if I did'nt do it?

Guest Dazzozo

If the warranty has been void, that's that, it's done, you can't "unvoid" it.

You can lock it again but there's not much point. It's not going to cause you any harm.

The most straightforward way would be for someone to dump the original bootloader and oemsbl images for you to flash, other than that you'd have to downgrade and upgrade again to ICS.

Guest Hogweed

Nothing you do to the phone, unless it actually breaks it, voids your rights under the UK Sale of Goods act though.

http://www.which.co....ct/your-rights/

Six months...and counting

If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or 'as described' when it sold them e.g. by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage. Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was there when you received the goods even if it has taken until now to come to light.

Yes, your additional "warranty" might be voided but your basic right to have faulty goods repaired or replaced remains. Within 6 months Vodafone or whoever would have to prove that your software changes broke the phone - not the other way round.

Different laws in different countries of course.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest niavlys1

Thanks for the answers.

So I understand I don't need to re-lock since the warranty had already been void by upgrading the phone.

That leads me to another question :

When the official ICS rom gets released through official channels and I install it, how will the vendor know that the phone was once upgraded with a leaked rom, rooted and bootloader- unlocked? (same if I downgrade to the initial official GB rom).

Guest Dazzozo

There is no actual software difference between the two as all of the internal memory contents (including the bootloader) is completely replaced during an update/downgrade.

Guest Dazzozo

There's nothing for them to search deeper. It is a total destructive replacement of the device's memory.

The only thing that persists is a network unlock. That is permanent.