24 replies to this topic

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SIII GT-I9300

i find that cwm isnt the best for sd card partitioning, i prefer to use http://www.partitionwizard.com create a fat32 partition first and then create the rest as ext2 i only use 512mb partition too (the card is a 16gb Kingston Class 4) but was slightly over by a couple mb just to be sure.

I use a2sdgui to move the cache to sd card.

then i go into the console as su,
then run

pm setInstallLocation 2

so i dont have to manage moving applications to my SD card.

I dont notice any performance issues like i used to have with data2sd used with the HTC Desire (my old phone) 2-3 apps would fill a desires internal memory in no time lol

Hi Bob.....I am puzzled by your use of SetinstallLocation 2......in conjunction with DT A2SD???

Surely this forces all downloaded apps to the Fat Partition??

That's my understanding anyway...

0= Default: 1= Internal: 2 = External.

So, you are over-riding the advantages of DT A2SD, and the GUI, which automates the process of where apps go....the sd-ext partition...No???

You are forcing apps to the /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure folder on FAT32.....

More sense to have set location=1.... as A2SD works on the principle of fooling the system into thinking Linux partition sd-ext is Internal??

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

Bob Mann

Bob Mann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
i only use a2sd to move the cache to the SD card, as far as the apps go, i was lead to believe that if they were internal even with a2sd they are still on the phone, this can be proved by removing the SD card, any application still on the phone (or at least appears on the phone) will still load.

maybe im not using a2sd properly, not really that bothered

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

i only use a2sd to move the cache to the SD card, as far as the apps go, i was lead to believe that if they were internal even with a2sd they are still on the phone, this can be proved by removing the SD card, any application still on the phone (or at least appears on the phone) will still load.

maybe im not using a2sd properly, not really that bothered

But ppl may rely on advise given here as being correct!!!

Ehhh Bob...Internal is on the Phone....

That's what DT A2SD does....

it allows apps to seem to be on the phone I.e. Internal, even though they live on your external storage I.e. SD card in a sd-ext linux partition.....

which Android sees as part of its file system, therefore it remains mounted.......

even if you connect your device to a PC and select USB debugging those apps will work.....

but not if you physically remove the SD card obviously....

coz your sd-ext partition us on it!!!

However, if you have set up your phone by instructing apps to install on external.......Install Location 2.. .

what you are doing is using the Android secure folder on the SD card Fat32 partition, as your install location, which means those apps will not work if you connect to a PC, and mount...... they are no longer seen by Android!!!

Whoever told you otherwise was not correct....

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

Bob Mann

Bob Mann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
whatever my understanding of a2sd and setinstalllocation is irrelevant, if i need the space for applications irrespective of how the device sees them or handles them then i will setup my phone how i see fit. i was merely commenting on how i configure my device, sorry for talking.

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

whatever my understanding of a2sd and setinstalllocation is irrelevant, if i need the space for applications irrespective of how the device sees them or handles them then i will setup my phone how i see fit. i was merely commenting on how i configure my device, sorry for talking.

Sorry Bob, I don't mean to question your methods as far as they apply to your own phone, and your experience as you have described it, so no offence meant to you personally at all.

But, the thread is about Best A2SD method

as per the OP......

and the majority of posts seem to come down to the DT A2SD method, with the GUI App, which gives an automated and seamless method of giving much more space for App installation, depending on the size of partition you create.......

I merely pointed out, for the information of the forum, that what you advocated, namely combining DT A2SD moving Dalvik Cache to SD Card, with the built-in Android native App2SD forced method of moving apps to SD Card by using "pm setInstallLocation 2" seemed rather bizarre to me, as it used the mnt/sdcard/.android_secure folder on SD Card for Apps and A2SD for Dalvik Cache, when you could use the DT A2SD to move Apps to SD card, with the advantages that brings.

As it stands, any apps you have moved to SD card will be unavailable if you are connected and mounted to PC with USB, which would not be the case if you used A2SD for Apps???

There is also an argument that moving the dalvik particularly, would require a higher spec SD card than Class 4, for performance reasons, but you seem to have no problems in this respect, but I would have thought Class 6 at least??

Anyway, as I said, I absolutely respect your right to set your device up as you see fit, and I am not trying to be argumentative, but I have laid out my reasoning above, for discussion if you so wish.

Cheers, Danny [IP]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users