tcpaulh

tcpaulh

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, Huawei G300, ZTE Blade
  • Twitter:@tcpaulh

SIM unlocking, whether by flashing of a chip inside the phone or the entering of a code, is a perfectly legal practice in the United Kingdom and does not void any warranties. If a network argued that because it was unlocked that they are not responsible, then they are essentially liable to prosecution and investigation by Oftel.

Moneysavingexpert would disagree

But what about my warranty?
While it's not illegal, unlocking your phone WILL invalidate its warranty in most cases.

Warranties can be voided by the failure to adhere to terms agreed to at the time the contract was made. This does not, however affect statutory rights.

How To Provide Error Logs

There's a problem on KitKat with text wrap / reflow not working. Issue raised here. Please Star and Reply if you think it's a stupid regression

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SIII GT-I9300

I am perfectly calm, I just merely misconstrued what you had stated.

Yes, disclosing your IMEI can pose risks, but then again, when you access the Google Play store for the first time, Google takes your device name and IMEI. You can view the information they have on you in relation to your google account(s) @ http://www.google.com/dashboard

Yet again you digress and avoid issues which don't suit your argument.

Use LBE Privacy Guard to stop requests from apps for IMEI.....

make sure you side load, as getting from Market will get your IMEI, defeating the purpose!!!!

But, it is a bit far fetched to compare, in an exercise of whataboutery, collecting of IMEI by Google with the possible criminal cloning which can be the use for IMEI harvested in other ways by those less scrupulous than Google....and AFAIK, you sign up for this when you agree to T's & C's

Google use it for marketing and tracking apps to devices, and possibly for Google Voice calling, there probably are privacy issues, which can be protected by using LBE PG

Unless you actually think that Google are some International Criminal Conspiracy which invented Android as a way of collecting information from unsuspecting users :lol:

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

dragpyre

dragpyre

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Devices:kumquat, grouper
  • Twitter:@dragpyre

collecting information from unsuspecting users :lol:

You just summed Google up to a tee.

Moneysavingexpert would disagree
Warranties can be voided by the failure to adhere to terms agreed to at the time the contract was made. This does not, however affect statutory rights.

Ok, unlocking by means of flashing the device will void its warranty, as you have modified the firmware.
Unlocking a device by means of a NUC, does not void warranty, as you have unlocked the phone the way it was designed to be unlocked.

Edited by dragpyre, 08 August 2012 - 05:27 PM.

Posted Image

If you like one of my posts, or if it helps you out, vote it up! :)

(now updated device list and added twitter. Come stalk me ;) )

ahatomastarday

ahatomastarday

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

Ok, unlocking by means of flashing the device will void its warranty, as you have modified the firmware.
Unlocking a device by means of a NUC, does not void warranty, as you have unlocked the phone the way it was designed to be unlocked.

That's exactly right.

irishpancake

irishpancake

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SIII GT-I9300

snip snip.....

You just summed Google up to a tee.

Of course what I actually said was:

Unless you actually think that Google are some International Criminal Conspiracy which invented Android as a way of collecting information from unsuspecting users

Probably sums you up to a tee, given your one line paranoid response to a peripheral point made in my post, which you failed yet again to address any substantial argument with a counter argument....

Master debater are you??

Now got Galaxy S III I9300 ...and Momo11 Bird Tablet running Christian Troy CM9....the wife has an Ascend g300 running?? Stock+ R6 from Cyda!!

Get Dropbox....Please click and get 2GB free plus 250Mb for referral...Dropbox is useful

dragpyre

dragpyre

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Devices:kumquat, grouper
  • Twitter:@dragpyre

Of course what I actually said was:

Probably sums you up to a tee, given your one line paranoid response to a peripheral point made in my post, which you failed yet again to address any substantial argument with a counter argument....

Master debater are you??

I merely picked out one point and made a joke of it, there is nothing malicious in my intent.

I'm not paranoid at all, I was making a joke, as long as Google Dashboard is around, I will be fine with the way Google stores information about me.

I didn't make a counter argument because I don't want or like arguments.

Posted Image

If you like one of my posts, or if it helps you out, vote it up! :)

(now updated device list and added twitter. Come stalk me ;) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users