Mic problem poll

Guest Geoff2

Guest Geoff2

Hi,

The reason I have started this poll is that I've found the following problem with my phone: during calls, the other person sometimes finds I sound very distant and quiet. If I make a call on loudspeaker, there is no problem. (I have deactivated the dualmic function, but this did not help.) I have searched on here and on Google, and it seems there are many people suffering the same problem, but no authoritative answers. Please don't respond until you've done several tests on your phone - I've had my phone for 3 months, and have only just realised that my call quality was rubbish but people haven't told me.

What I would like to find out:

1. Is this is a problem affecting all G300s?

2. Does this affect a specific ROM or baseband?

(So as well as answering the poll, could you post a message on here saying whether you have a problem and what ROM you're using.)

Armed with this knowledge, I will know whether I need to: (1) get a different model of phone, (2) get a replacement G300 or (3) install a different ROM or baseband.

Thanks.

Guest dragpyre

Hi,

The reason I have started this poll is that I've found the following problem with my phone: during calls, the other person sometimes finds I sound very distant and quiet. If I make a call on loudspeaker, there is no problem. (I have deactivated the dualmic function, but this did not help.) I have searched on here and on Google, and it seems there are many people suffering the same problem, but no authoritative answers. Please don't respond until you've done several tests on your phone - I've had my phone for 3 months, and have only just realised that my call quality was rubbish but people haven't told me.

What I would like to find out:

1. Is this is a problem affecting all G300s?

2. Does this affect a specific ROM or baseband?

(So as well as answering the poll, could you post a message on here saying whether you have a problem and what ROM you're using.)

Armed with this knowledge, I will know whether I need to: (1) get a different model of phone, (2) get a replacement G300 or (3) install a different ROM or baseband.

Thanks.

Have you tried updating to the latest official version, ending B892?

You can access the software update menu from Settings-About Phone-Software Update. It may offer you the B885 before the B892, as they are not cumulative.

Many speaker and microphone issues were fixed with these updates.

If this doesn't solve it, Vodafone, under warranty, can take it for repair, replacement or give you a refund. Repair/Replacement time estimates are 7-10 working days.

EDIT: Posting your ROM build and network will help.

Edited by dragpyre

Guest Geoff2

Thanks for the quick replies. You've reminded me - I haven't stated what ROM i'm using! I'm on ICS B926.

Interesting results so far: two people on B892 not having problems. Let's see what other replies come in.

Guest unaszplodrmann

I been on B892 since receiving the phone, so I can't contribute much in terms of direct comparative tests, but outgoing volume levels are OK.

Guest dragpyre

Thanks for the quick replies. You've reminded me - I haven't stated what ROM i'm using! I'm on ICS B926.

Interesting results so far: two people on B892 not having problems. Let's see what other replies come in.

Have you tried ICS B927? The European Demo ROM rather than the China Unicom U8818 ROM? It may resolve your issue if you like ICS.

Guest Pidun14

I had problem with mic using B882, B885, B888, B927 and presently B892. Problem is now solved after switching off dual mic setting and editing build.prop. Will see what will happen after official ICS update.

Guest Geoff2

Have you tried ICS B927? The European Demo ROM rather than the China Unicom U8818 ROM? It may resolve your issue if you like ICS.

I'll happily upgrade to B927 (or infusion) if this will solve the mic problem. Are you using this, and is your mic okay?

I had problem with mic using B882, B885, B888, B927 and presently B892. Problem is now solved after switching off dual mic setting and editing build.prop. Will see what will happen after official ICS update.

Did you manage to solve the problem when you were on B927, or only when you downgraded to B892? So far, everyone on B892 seems to be okay, but nobody on ICS has confirmed that they have got good mic levels.

Guest feckineejit

what did you edit in the build prop?

Guest dragpyre

I'll happily upgrade to B927 (or infusion) if this will solve the mic problem. Are you using this, and is your mic okay?

Did you manage to solve the problem when you were on B927, or only when you downgraded to B892? So far, everyone on B892 seems to be okay, but nobody on ICS has confirmed that they have got good mic levels.

I no longer have my G300 (Vodafone refunded me my full £110), I have an Xperia U now, but when I used B927, it was all fine, speaker, mic and display.

I'm sticking around to watch how development comes along and help with anyone's issues :)

Guest MickJack

Running 927, have the problem, not tried changing build prop, am using speaker phone to overcome problem (bit deaf anyway, and often use speaker on handsets)

what did you edit in the build prop?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/354721-low-mic-volume-during-phonecall/page__st__20 frrom about post 24, also seen something in another thread but eludes me atm.

Guest Pidun14

Found the solution after downgrading from B927 and as others reported there is no dualmic segtting in engineering menu on B927 i did not try to upgrade atm.

Guest Geoff2

Okay, I made a bit of a balls-up when creating this poll, as it doesn't really make things any clearer. So I've been through all the posts on this thread (and the other thread about the mic problem) and compiled a list of who has/hasn't had the problem and which ROM they are using. I will update this list periodically, and hopefully a pattern will emerge. If you aren't included below, either edit the list yourself or leave a post and I'll edit it.

Mic Working

4 B892 (Dragpyre, b4d4ss, Unaszpldrmnn, Pidun14)

1 B895 (Munchkin2)

1 B927 (Dragpyre)

Mic Problems

2 B888 (Pidun14, Gsf600y)

1 B892 (Lobespear)

1 B894 (Pidun14)

1 B926 (Geoff2)

2 B927 (MickJack, Andmarti)

1 Pauls GR2 (Titas)

1 MIUI (ADROW)

6 Unknown ROM (Muznyu, feckineejit, maxmaximmax, lunadik, dwitcombe, steveg271)

(I've bolded the usernames of people who have stated they have edited the /system/build.prop to include "ro.config.dualmic=false")

Edited by Geoff2

Guest ahatomastarday

No problems here, I believe I'm using the last official Android 2.3 ROM, not sure what number that is (I bought the phone from Vodafone a couple of weeks ago and applied an OTA update right after I received it).

Guest bladebuddy

Mrs said she couldn't hear me to well yesterday on infusion rom but will test more to make sure. On a side not my screen has started showing double posts on tapatalk LOL:D

Just been playing around phoning my better half in the next room and she says ( when the plastic case ) is on the phone its a lot harder to hear me then when it's off so you should take this into account as well .

Just to add so no confusion she heard my voice normally on infusion, so seems o.k on this.

Edited by bladebuddy

Guest steveg271

I am on the original Vodaphone ROM B885 I think (these are the last characters of the Build Version anyway.

I have the low mic volume problem, very poor, fixed by using the speakerphone. Bought phone on ebay so cannot return it.

Steve

Guest Geoff2

Okay - I've made my mind up: I'm sending mine back and getting a replacement. It seems like some people's phones have this problem and others' don't, regardless of what ROM they're using. Thanks for your input everyone, and here's an updated version of the list in case it helps anyone else make up their mind:

Mic Working

5 B892 (Dragpyre, b4d4ss, Unaszpldrmnn, Pidun14, Hogweed)

2 B895 (Munchkin2, ahatomastarday)

1 B927 (Dragpyre)

1 Infusion (bladebuddy)

1 Pauls Gr2 (Hogweed)

Mic Problems

1 B882 (maxmaximmax)

1 B885 (steveg271)

3 B892 (Lobespear, maxmaximmax, Titas)

1 B894 (Pidun14)

1 B926 (Geoff2)

2 B927 (MickJack, Andmarti, maxmaximmax)

1 Pauls GR2 (Titas)

1 MIUI (ADROW)

4 Unknown ROM (Muznyu, feckineejit,lunadik, dwitcombe)

Guest Titas

Thanks Geoff2 for your efforts in trying to pin down the cause. It does now seem as if it's not a software issue as was initially thought, in one or two posts at least.

Is there anyone who had this problem & fixed it (other than by editing the system/build.prop as this did not work for me & several others) - has anyone solved the problem by flashing a new ROM?

If not I guess I'll be returning my phone too in the hope that the replacement does not have the same fault

Guest lobespear

my guess is that some people naturally speak loudly and some people speak softly, explaining why only "some" people have this problem.

Guest Titas

1. If that were the case softly spoken people would surely have the problem on any phone.

2. When people say they can't hear the caller inevitably speaks louder but it doesn't help much.

3. I don't think callers suddenly start speaking loudly when they put the phone on speaker (when of course people say they can hear the caller clearly)

Edited by Titas

Guest xZaratustrAx

Okay - I've made my mind up: I'm sending mine back and getting a replacement. It seems like some people's phones have this problem and others' don't, regardless of what ROM they're using. Thanks for your input everyone, and here's an updated version of the list in case it helps anyone else make up their mind:

Mic Working

5 B892 (Dragpyre, b4d4ss, Unaszpldrmnn, Pidun14, Hogweed)

2 B895 (Munchkin2, ahatomastarday)

1 B927 (Dragpyre)

1 Infusion (bladebuddy)

1 Pauls Gr2 (Hogweed)

Mic Problems

1 B882 (maxmaximmax)

1 B885 (steveg271)

3 B892 (Lobespear, maxmaximmax, Titas)

1 B894 (Pidun14)

1 B926 (Geoff2)

2 B927 (MickJack, Andmarti, maxmaximmax)

1 Pauls GR2 (Titas)

1 MIUI (ADROW)

4 Unknown ROM (Muznyu, feckineejit,lunadik, dwitcombe)

VDF B892 with no problems either.

Edited by xZaratustrAx

Guest Geoff2

my guess is that some people naturally speak loudly and some people speak softly, explaining why only "some" people have this problem.

There's not a shadow of a doubt that my phone is malfunctioning:

1. I'm a fog-horn. Nobody could ever accuse me of talking too quietly.
  2. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes I sound normal, and then it suddenly clicks into 'quiet-mode' and I sound like I've moved 10 metres away from the phone
  3. I thought I was only having the problem with one person in particular, as he was the only one that complained. However, I then asked everyone else and discovered that they were all struggling to hear me, but just assumed I was in a bad reception area so didn't bother telling me.
  4. The moment I switch to speaker, the other person can instantly hear me perfectly. The sound quality jumps from 2 out of 10 to 10 out of 10.