replacing h264 software encoder with ffmpeg on ics and later possible ?

Guest lunario

Guest Rdogg112

It can probably be done, "OMX" itself isn't a library, it's a specification like OpenGL, OpenCL, Open*, they have to be implemented by whoever wants to use them, I even contacted Khronos, the guys who make the specification and they stated that Android(Google/Manufacturers) need's to do it, not them since they just specify the standards.

Guest Rdogg112

Yeah, but We'd have to modify the apps themselves for that, because ffmpeg doesn't have the same methods/functions as a OMX API, so it would require some work, but it could be done ;).

Guest TehStalker

From the information available I have gathered that the problem is that the necessary proprietary libraries needed for hardware acceleration are note working anymore due to changes in recent versions of android. The magic is done by a certain processor called QDSP5, and the specifications for this one are not publicly available. Therefore, porting anything over to the blade and using this processor will be very hard. Is this correct or am I completely wrong?

If this is correct however, what happens if you revert/modify the Android code that changed between 2.3 and 4.0 that made the libraries not work anymore? Would this not work for any special reasons? Certain issues might occur, but could you in theory wedge in 2.3 video code and perhaps an 2.3 youtube .apk?

Everything I have written might be complete nonsense, so sorry, but I am curious.

Guest t0mm13b

From the information available I have gathered that the problem is that the necessary proprietary libraries needed for hardware acceleration are note working anymore due to changes in recent versions of android. The magic is done by a certain processor called QDSP5, and the specifications for this one are not publicly available. Therefore, porting anything over to the blade and using this processor will be very hard. Is this correct or am I completely wrong?

If this is correct however, what happens if you revert/modify the Android code that changed between 2.3 and 4.0 that made the libraries not work anymore? Would this not work for any special reasons? Certain issues might occur, but could you in theory wedge in 2.3 video code and perhaps an 2.3 youtube .apk?

Everything I have written might be complete nonsense, so sorry, but I am curious.

The OMX libs are proprietary to Qualcomm for the ARMv6 chipset, perhaps its a licensing issue, so it would be no-go!