Not sure if I've screwed my phone Wi-fi ... any suggestions pls ?

Guest frenchdroid

Guest frenchdroid

Try to be brief:

Bought G300 from Tesco Direct (U8815 model) in UK. Didn't put Vodafone sim in it.

Connected to friends wireless router just to have a play - wi-fi worked immediately and offered me update. Did this and got to B892.

Returned to France, tried to connect to my wireless router - get connecting message, then disconnecting message, repeating that continuously - but won't connect.

Got phone unlocked and put in UK Orange PAYG sim - works fine.

Read these threads and saw that some people said that perhaps wi-fi gets broken doing the update to B892, but that installing new official firmware might help.

Instead of downgrading, I did the steps to get on Infusion B934 Beta 1 - so I put official B926 on first, rooted, bootloader unlocked, CWM, and then Infusion.

Everything is working fine with Infusion except I still haven't fixed wi-fi. I tried wi-fi when I got to B926 too - nothing.

All it does is show the wi-fi signal for my router, but when I connect I now (on B926 or Infusion) get no feedback or message. It just gives me the option to connect after I have hit the connect button.

I have turned the router on and off, etc. I don't have security on the router as we live in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice (feels good to be back after my first visits with the San Francisco). Cheers.

Edited by frenchdroid

If you put a simple password on your router and then try to connect with your phone, does it ask you for the password? and does it connect afterwards?

I had issues with wifi on b892 but they dissappeared once I went to a different rom so I would be surprised if b892 had broken anything permenantly.

Guest xZaratustrAx

My friend, that happened to me with a Nokia and the problem was the Router's Wi-Fi channel - it only worked at 13 (in my case).

In your case, it's something to do with the router, either the encrytion or channel.

Edited by xZaratustrAx

Guest frenchdroid

Cheers Cyda. I did what you suggested and the phone does see that I've set security on the router. I enter the password and it marks the connection as "saved" underneath the connection name (my router).

So its doing something although its just the same as before i.e. doesn't show that its trying to connect, no wi-fi symbol in the top bar, and the wi-fi symbol next to my router connection stays white (I assume it goes blue when it connects).

And I tried to get on the web just in case I was really connected to the router but it wasn't showing, but nada.

What steps should I take next ? All the way back to whatever was before B892 ? And how would I do that because I didn't back up before doing the upgrade to B892, which was over wi-fi.

Guest frenchdroid

S***, guess I better confess to being an idiot :huh:

Thanks to the posts by the two of you, I stumbled across a setting in my router that I hadn't noticed before !! My router settings are in french, which I speak OK, but hadn't really figured this one out until now. I think its to do with filtering MAC addresses, and once I turned it off, it connects fine.

Well, at least this might help someone who doesn't know there way around their router settings. Thanks for your help.

Haha, I have done that once before. I was trying to get a friends laptop to connect to my home wifi but no matter what I did it refused. Then the penny dropped about the mac filtering.

Its easy done. :)

Guest frenchdroid

Exactly - nothings wrong with my phones wi-fi :P Just my understanding of my router.

Like I said, thanks to you and Cyda, I thought to dig around in the settings a bit more. So relieved I don't have to spend more time trying different things.