Inresting Article About The ICS Approval Process

Guest RussellS

Yes that's been posted before. Huawei have actually produced ics for our phones, as we know by the unofficial version, and we're now waiting for Vodafone to release it. Hardly something we can hold Huawei responsible for. So their promise of a 3rd quarter release was fulfilled.

Personally I doubt very much whether Vodafone have any interest at all in publishing ics with hardware acceleration functional. It's them and not Huawei that we need to push for that.

If it was important at all to Huawei, they would've added it into the Chinese version by now.

Edited by fr0do

Guest Colin Whiteside

Frankly, judging from the state of the official ICS ROM on my phone, Vodafone aren't pushing out the update because it totally ruins the phone use experience, and they're trying to work out a way of getting it stabilised. Even with enhanced memory management scripts, I have running applications kicked out of memory constantly- Play Music is borderline unusable as a result.

Vodafone are never going to add hardware acceleration to the ROM, BTW- besides the fact it'll inhale even more RAM, they simply won't get permission from Huawei to do those sort of system-level tweaks. All Vodafone will be doing is building a vendor app package to deploy over the top of whatever Huawei send them and testing that it works.

Guest chico2069

I've always said...

I prefer to wait a bit longer and have a quality product then rush out a crappy, bugged versions :)

Beeing an avid computer games player, i've seen that happen A LOT :)

Developers rush out the games and then their so bad and bugged, they just die :)

Edited by chico2069

Guest Colin Whiteside

I know that may sound a bit blood ragey up there, but seriously, as a consumer release the current drop of ICS just isn't going to cut the mustard. Huawei are already moving on to spending more time supporting new handsets, and I don't see them doing much besides supplying a functional ICS ROM. It won't get hardware UI acceleration because it'll do more harm than good, just like in the Nexus S (which this isn't even as powerful as).

Guest irishpancake

Its interesting what you say there Colin.

So in your opinion, for a good user experience on this phone, I mean for everyday use, would one be better sticking with a GB ROM or would there be an equivalent experience using tilaz's 4.0.3 Infusion, with an oc kernel??

Or do you include Infusion when you speak of Huawei ICS??

Serious question....

Guest Colin Whiteside

I've not tried Infusion yet (it's next on my list), but there's only so much you can do with limited RAM- overclocking will help a little but the device is having to shuffle apps back and forth from memory pretty much constantly on stock for me, and I don't think (modest) processor boosts would do much to help. I think, nice as ICS is, you could probably do well sticking to GB with its lower memory footprint, though Your Mileage May Vary.

I've uninstalled my memory management scripts and I'm going to try running it another week without them to see if it's possibly something over-eager in them that's messing me up. It's absolutely fine when I'm not trying to do anything more complex than checking email, but woe betide I'm listening to Play Music when my phone goes from no signal to a decent mobile web connection as the ensuing army of email, Friedcaster and Twitter updates will see my music app get thrown out of use.

I've had a couple of lower specced phones with less ram that were transformed by hw acceleration of the ui. ICS would be transformed by it. Huawei could release it as a an update with little effort.

Guest Colin Whiteside

Were these other devices running ICS?

I still don't think they'll approve using up even more RAM when a stock Google application can't even stay in memory at the same time as a background update happens.

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

I still don't think they'll approve using up even more RAM when a stock Google application can't even stay in memory at the same time as a background update happens.

Interesting thing is that Nexus S is the almost same performance device, has ICS & JB - even if some HW UI accel things were disabled (to save 8MB per process) - google approved device. I would be happy, if Huawei would do the same as Google - officially published ICS to our devices with the same capabilities as Nexus S. I would same that Nexus S and Huawei G300 are almost the same devices (except the hardware specs).

I was amazed how people refers to a extremely small size of Huawei G300 non-volatile memory - interesting thing is that ZTE Blade is running ICS well - with the same non-volatile memory size as G300 and with the HW UI accel - with all google services in memory.

All those laments for missing buzzword (openGL HW UI accel) in Huawei G300 B92x ROM and B93x ROM just holds off potential release of ICS for our phones. And Vodafone holds it off even more! We just need stable approved ROM no matter how fast is it, because it's fast enough this time.

sry for my poor english

Guest MrPuddington
I've always said...

I prefer to wait a bit longer and have a quality product then rush out a crappy, bugged versions :)

So would I. But remember that the original ROM B882 must have gone through the same approval process, and it was full of serious bugs: security, ring tone volume, battery drain etc. So a long process alone does not produce a good product :-(

Guest Colin Whiteside

I'm going to disable the blood rage, as I've finally worked out what was kicking my music apps out of memory and sorted it. However ICS is still a bit shanky.

I still maintain that Vodafone have neither the ability nor permission to add hardware UI acceleration to the current ICS build, and that it's not the magic rainbow-shitting unicorn some people are hoping for. It's user experience is marginal on this hardware.

*unsheathes broad sword*

:P

No I don't think Voda have that ability. Although they would have the clout to make Huawei do it. I can only imagine that it's either poor performance or a problematic upgrade experience that's holding things up.

I'd like a dev to comment on the acceleration point as it's them that have lead us to hope for rainbow s*** :D

Guest tcpaulh

*unsheathes broad sword*

:P

No I don't think Voda have that ability. Although they would have the clout to make Huawei do it. I can only imagine that it's either poor performance or a problematic upgrade experience that's holding things up.

I'd like a dev to comment on the acceleration point as it's them that have lead us to hope for rainbow s*** :D

I'm no dev but this is all pretty interesting re vsync, triple buffering and project butter...with short video comparisons