[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Probably yes, if you don't use a data image for it, but I think you will have to edit the script for this. If you can just upgrade them on top of each other without a full wipe, they should be okay to be used that way.

But why would you like to use two roms of the same kind anyway? :S

Ok, will try it.

Why? Finally i got chance to run all Rom's which i love so why wouldn't I? Got Burstlam CM9 in nand and will run Konsta's CM9 from loop.

Guest gunapriyan

Sorry Snap,

The procedure you quoted for only upgradation. That is the problem for me.

I humble request you to please give the procedure for fresh installation. I am going to start from scratch once again.

Pls.

Guna

http://www.modaco.co...20#entry2015521

Look, if you cannot read and follow the instructions even after i've given them to you several times then perhaps you just shouldn't use this script?

What is the use of me repeating myself time and time again if you're just going to ignore what i say?

Guest jpeg729

You would do better to READ. Didn't I give you a link to the instructions for a new install in my post?

You would get along better if you tried to read and understand the instructions the script gives you as well. For example...

Do you want to make an image file to hold the system for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM) Y for yes any other key for no.

If you don't want to make an image file, where is it going to put itself?

What is the name of the system image you'll be using for this ROM? If you made a system image before for this ROM then use that name () and if you want to reuse a system image file you've created before, use that name. Typos will result in a non booting installation

If you didn't create an image file, you don't have an image file and this question is bizarre. Isn't it?

Edited by jpeg729

Guest jpeg729

I have finally dissected the boot image produced by the linux script on konstat's cm10.

Found the following lines in init.rc

# mount mtd partitions

# Mount /system rw first to give the filesystem a chance to save a checkpoint

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/ /system

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/ /system ro remount

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/ /data nosuid nodev

shouldn't they say something more like

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/NAME_OF_IMAGE_FILE /system

I think I have found the error. line 240 in makelooprom in the linux kit

if [ JELLYBEAN == Y ] || [ JELLYBEAN == y ]

shouldn't that be

if [ $JELLYBEAN == Y ] || [ $JELLYBEAN == y ]

And finally. Why does makeloopgapps need to know which data image file to use? In theory it really doesn't need to.

Edited by jpeg729

Guest Snap.IT
@gunapriyan: if you are following the instructions you quoted the script won't ask you for the size because you told it you already had an image file. The first two answers are WRONG. There is another post with a big printout like that, the ones you quoted are for upgrading an existing loop install, not for creating a new one. See these ones

I have been trying myself. Used the latest linux script on Konstat's latest cm10 creating new system and data image files. Copied the multiboot folder to the sdcard. Flashed. Did everything exactly as said several times in the thread. Stuck on the green android.

Tried running the V5 android script on a plain Konstat latest cm10 install to create a loopboot konstat cm10. Same problem.

Strange. I am pretty sure I got the filenames right, but I haven't dissected the resulting boot image files to see what they try to do.

I can post the output of the linux script if you like.

Yes, please do. :-)

Guest Snap.IT
I have finally dissected the boot image produced by the linux script on konstat's cm10.

Found the following lines in init.rc

# mount mtd partitions

# Mount /system rw first to give the filesystem a chance to save a checkpoint

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/ /system

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/ /system ro remount

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/ /data nosuid nodev

shouldn't they say something more like

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/NAME_OF_IMAGE_FILE /system

I think I have found the error. line 240 in makelooprom in the linux kit

if [ JELLYBEAN == Y ] || [ JELLYBEAN == y ]

shouldn't that be

if [ $JELLYBEAN == Y ] || [ $JELLYBEAN == y ]

And finally. Why does makeloopgapps need to know which data image file to use? In theory it really doesn't need to.

Right you are, the linux script is wrong.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll fix it.

The makeloopgapps isn't just for gapps, it'll convert any package except for kernel packages (such as Bravia Engine.zip or Beats Audio.zip or in my case since i'm using a GEN3 phone, CM-9-KonstaKANG-GEN3.zip).

Remember that any package you want to install into the ROM HAS TO BE RUN THROUGH THE SCRIPT or it will install into NAND.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest Snap.IT

Here it is for what it is worth. http://pastebin.com/xDgtVh76

I still haven't ever got it to work. Might nose around some more later.

This part is where your mistake is:

What is the name of the system image you'll be using for this ROM? If you made a system image before for this ROM then use that name (cm10)

What is the name of the data image you'll be using for this ROM? If you made a data image before for this ROM then use that name (data)

You have to type the name before hitting enter even if the suggested name is correct.

I guess this is worth mentioning, when u run boot nand script from looprom it does so Succesfully but after 2 switchs, when I try to revert to looprom I'm getting stuch on boot forcing me to flash the rominsall again..btw I'm using Mookee in loop..I don't know why...SNAP

Guest Snap.IT

I guess this is worth mentioning, when u run boot nand script from looprom it does so Succesfully but after 2 switchs, when I try to revert to looprom I'm getting stuch on boot forcing me to flash the rominsall again..btw I'm using Mookee in loop..I don't know why...SNAP

That has nothing to do with the script and yes i've seen it before, i'm considering using dd for it rather than flash_image to see if it helps.

You can make a backup with my CWM 6.0.1.1 for each boot and use advanced restore to restore it if the boot fails, there is really no need to reinstall either way.

If you want to make sure it works before you reboot, do this:

1 start terminal session

2 su

3 cd /sdcard/multiboot

4 ls (this is to see the file names of the currently installed roms, for the nand the filename is boot.img)

4 flash_image boot [whateverthenameoftheromyouwanttostart].img

thanks..btw I'm running MIUI 4.8.17 and it gives a score of 1370 in antutu, very smooth.. I guess I'm going to resist the urgent of flashing other rom n stick with this n konsta10..I'm gratefull SNAP

Guest jpeg729

This part is where your mistake is:

You have to type the name before hitting enter even if the suggested name is correct.

Oops! I thought that was the default, not just a reminder.

Thankyou very much.

Guest Snap.IT

thanks..btw I'm running MIUI 4.8.17 and it gives a score of 1370 in antutu, very smooth.. I guess I'm going to resist the urgent of flashing other rom n stick with this n konsta10..I'm gratefull SNAP

Heh, you can make as many as you like, i'm running four loop roms and the NAND ROM ATM.

It's excellent for testing when you're changing and compiling, if i can't get the rom right, i can just reboot to another rom until i'm ready to try again.

Guest Snap.IT

Oops! I thought that was the default, not just a reminder.

Thankyou very much.

Yeah, i realize that it does seem like it's the default (that's how it usually works). One problem is that i know what the script expects so i don't think much of it but when users start using it they run into problems. :D

I'm going to change that later on, right now i'm trying to get a bootloader to load the menu items in a menu so that you can choose which rom to boot during bootup.

I should probably spend some time on CWM too, some major changes are coming.

Guest Snap.IT
Can not install an app on loop rom which move to sdcard by default. Is there any work around?

Which app? The sdcard and sd-ext should work the same way on a loop install as it does on a nand install.

Which app? The sdcard and sd-ext should work the same way on a loop install as it does on a nand install.

I tried installing EA games like Fifa, NFS and for checking I downloaded app Archidroid, it just says cannot install on sdcard. Even cannot restore from Titanium Backup.

Thanks for looking into it.

Guest Snap.IT

I tried installing EA games like Fifa, NFS and for checking I downloaded app Archidroid, it just says cannot install on sdcard. Even cannot restore from Titanium Backup.

Thanks for looking into it.

What loop rom are you running?

Guest tilal6991

Right. Done some more major work into the app and I now think that the rom creation and install works perfectly. The only thing is the boot.img is not being created correctly and so isn't actually mounting system. When mounted manually I can see that the system partition is correct.

Guest Snap.IT
Right. Done some more major work into the app and I now think that the rom creation and install works perfectly. The only thing is the boot.img is not being created correctly and so isn't actually mounting system. When mounted manually I can see that the system partition is correct.

Since i'm not at home i can't review your code but one thing i can think of that i had to solve was that unpacking boot.img to a fat 32 filesystem doesn't work since it doesn't support links. I solved it by running the process in an ext2 loop file.

Guest Snap.IT

CyanscapeV2 as my loop rom. Will check on other loop roms.

Strange...

Can you give me the init.rc for that install? You'll find it under / when you're running the rom.

Guest gunapriyan

Mr.Snap, Finally achieved....CM9 and CM10 is running in my blade. CM10 is my NAND.

1. CM9 is very slow (May be running from SD Card)...Right?

2. Is there any app to switch CM9-10 or CM10-9? Please help me. I must show it to my friends and make them surprise.

3. CM9 is running from SD Card...Apollo player didn't recognise my songs......Is there any problem there?

All Credits goes to Mr.Snap......

Guna

Edited by gunapriyan

I must show my friends and make surprise them.

Grammar Nazi would be proud :P :P

BTW i always enjoy reading your posts... :D

Way better than reddit /r/funny, 9gag, and funny junk

Now dont play the 'English is not my first language' card here

Neither is mine..

In fact its not even my third language

Edited by vNa5h

Guest gunapriyan

VNa5h,

I request you to try to answer my questions. If not, please .......

Language is just used for communication.

We are better than "Deaf and dumb"

We are here to enrich our Modacco forum. Its not a Class Room to teach english.

If i hurt you, please forgiven me.

Kind Attn. to Forum Moderators:

Please remove the posts which are not related to multiboot topic. Pls

Grammar Nazi would be proud :P :P

BTW i always enjoy reading your posts... :D

Way better than reddit /r/funny, 9gag, and funny junk

Now dont play the 'English is not my first language' card here

Neither is mine..

In fact its not even my third language

Edited by gunapriyan