Photo

Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

lighters

lighters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:G300
Thanks for the very helpful guide!

Worked a treat which helped me install the latest version of infusion.

Only place I was a little confused was when downloadion the infusion rom as I wasnt sure whether to leave it .rarred and I accidently tried to install from the "phones" sd card not my sd card as the ome on images was 2gb I got confused.

Smoking_Gun

Smoking_Gun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend g300
All sorted
Now running 4.0.3
Many Thanks.

komad

komad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
  • Twitter:@parcence
+1
great work
two thumbs up

discosteve

discosteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I know you have been thanks many times and deservedly so but here's another one - thank you beggin! With your great guide i managed to successfully upgrade from GB to ICS. And with the help of some other people on this site I managed to get the Huawei weather app back as well!!

It's a shame that not everyone is as clear and helpful with their instructions when people are asking for help. You treated me like a five year old and that's what I needed. Not to be spoken down to or made to feel stupid but for the instructions to be written in 'plain everyday' English.

Thanks,

Stephen

myoldboots

myoldboots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Got fed up waiting for Vodafone to get their act together so followed this guide and installed ICS 5 days ago, and
it worked perefectly well first time of asking. Battery life has improved and does work very well for me - might get braver
and install a custom ROM one day, but this is good enough for me for the time being.

Many Thanks for the guide and keep up the good work.

Buffalo Soldier

Buffalo Soldier

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Can someone please tell me is it safe to install CWM after page 4 in this guide, cause I want to backup my stock Gingerbread?
I'm afraid that if I do this I won't be able to change my baseband from 109808 to 2030, like the guide says.
Or should I just flash the original recovery over CWM when I'm done with backing up my Ginger and continue with page 5?
Thanks....

naefunk

naefunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have followed the instructions to the letter. Everything has worked fine but I cannot find this SuperU app anywhere? Someone else asked about this and was just told to use rootunlocker but that is not a solution. It's just another rooting mechanism and that d/l wont work for me anyway. Everything appears to have worked fine. I just can't find the app anywhere? I have tried restarting pc and phone and redoing the procedure, using different USB etc etc and nothing. Is there a solution to this?

00Mark

00Mark

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Devices:G300, iPad 1

I have followed the instructions to the letter. Everything has worked fine but I cannot find this SuperU app anywhere? Someone else asked about this and was just told to use rootunlocker but that is not a solution. It's just another rooting mechanism and that d/l wont work for me anyway. Everything appears to have worked fine. I just can't find the app anywhere? I have tried restarting pc and phone and redoing the procedure, using different USB etc etc and nothing. Is there a solution to this?

If you mean SuperSU, the app which lets you deny or grant root access, then you can download it from the Google Play store.

https://play.google....e.supersu&hl=en

naefunk

naefunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the fast reply. It turns out it didn't work fine. I hadn't rooted at all. I didn't realise that the bootloader stops the the device from starting up, keeping it on the Huawei logo before the splash animation. I cannot make that happen. Holding down power on and volume down. Tried many times with different combinations of having power held down slightly longer, volume down held slightly longer, holding both forever, shutting down phone with cable attached, removing cable then battery, keeping battery out for 15 seconds - then trying, taking out battery 1st then cable, just yanking out the battery, having fast boot on, having fast boot off, DEBUGGING ALWAYS ON adimttedly but that is required from what I understand. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Everything else is fine. I have the drivers, Win 7 64 recognises the device, I can put it into recovery mode and restart it, I can d/l SuperSu and Super User. I just can't get it to go into bootloader. I have been very patiently using all my problem and puzzle solving skills to figure this out all day but I'm coming to the conclusion that my volume down key could be faulty, a suspicion generated by the known bug with this key anyway.

Please help.

naefunk

naefunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
To anyone having t

Thanks for the fast reply. It turns out it didn't work fine. I hadn't rooted at all. I didn't realise that the bootloader stops the the device from starting up, keeping it on the Huawei logo before the splash animation. I cannot make that happen. Holding down power on and volume down. Tried many times with different combinations of having power held down slightly longer, volume down held slightly longer, holding both forever, shutting down phone with cable attached, removing cable then battery, keeping battery out for 15 seconds - then trying, taking out battery 1st then cable, just yanking out the battery, having fast boot on, having fast boot off, DEBUGGING ALWAYS ON adimttedly but that is required from what I understand. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Everything else is fine. I have the drivers, Win 7 64 recognises the device, I can put it into recovery mode and restart it, I can d/l SuperSu and Super User. I just can't get it to go into bootloader. I have been very patiently using all my problem and puzzle solving skills to figure this out all day but I'm coming to the conclusion that my volume down key could be faulty, a suspicion generated by the known bug with this key anyway.

Please help.

Anyone having this problem, it's just a matter of patience. After two days of trying it worked. Faulty volume key maybe? Patience is the trick. I think some handsets just have this issue. It will work eventually.

top_score

top_score

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Devices:g300
a bit late but I've only just seen this problem.

for clockwork mod recovery cwm:

volume up and power button

Cymru am byth.

theshao

theshao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Wildfire CM7, G300 ICS
Beggin you're a star, cheers dude, most useful. Initially thought I'd bricked the phone after missing step 5, but recovered by putting the dload folder onto SD card and rebooting with both volume buttons held down Don't know if a mirror's still required, but have loads of bw available and all the rooting files stored here:
http://g300.marcusltd.co.uk/ - All the root/unlock files are there, and the larger firmwares are downloading now, will be there shortly.
Beggin if you want more hosting, or conversely want me to take this mirror down, give me a shout and I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Edit: I should clarify, by "missing step 5" what actually happened was I got to step 5, had to reboot the computer and when I came back to the tutorial, I looked at the contents, saw "5 - Check your baseband" and thought "I've done that, it was 109808, let's proceed to step 6", without realising step 5 involved upgrading if at 109808. And the result was a phone that shows the Huawei logo for about 3 seconds when turned on then reboots and repeats - same result with either volume button pressed down, and a pink screen with both pressed. To fix it, I donwloaded the file ics-b936-update.zip, extracted the folder "dload" that it contained and placed it on the root of my SD card. Then I inserted the card in the phone, and powered on with volume up + volume down pressed, at which point it found the dload folder and installed the b936 FW from the card, and all was well :)

Edited by theshao, 01 November 2012 - 01:11 PM.

tomcat_

tomcat_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend g300
This is fantastic guide well done. I followed to the letter and had no probs installing ICS and rooting the device.

At the end of the guide the suggestion is to install a custom ROM and not the official update 944.

Since this phone is for a present for a person who doesn't have any experience with an android or touch screen phone before, i would like to install something really simple with basic applications.

Any suggestions pls?

Thanks

glogi01

glogi01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
best regards

I'm trying to "stuck" on step 4 (back up IMEI) Page 4 of 8 - Huawei G300 - Install a custom Jelly Bean / ICS ROM from scratch
I want to make a back up, I do everything according to the instructions, but when I watch folder (5irom)
he is 0 kb??? (see picture bears)
I dalli properly done?
if I could go to the next step?
Posted Image

forgive my bad english: ;(

glogi01

glogi01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok ok

now everything is fine! ;)
I ran a good operation.
go on :)

top_score

top_score

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Devices:g300

This is fantastic guide well done. I followed to the letter and had no probs installing ICS and rooting the device.

At the end of the guide the suggestion is to install a custom ROM and not the official update 944.

Since this phone is for a present for a person who doesn't have any experience with an android or touch screen phone before, i would like to install something really simple with basic applications.

Any suggestions pls?

Thanks

to be honest the custom firmware is similar to official. you don't need to be tech savy to use them. they have a few options not on official, overall I think they just offer a better user experience (damn I sound like a sales rep)

the only "problem" is cfw tend to be updated more often, but this is not a bad thing.

if you use infusion by tillaz, or stock+ rom by Cyda then you won't go far wrong.

Cyda rom is probably closest to stock, before you install either check through both threads to see problems and issues, also good feedback. but you will see problems with stock to but I think most people run cfw so stock problems are probably under reported.

Cymru am byth.

Keshavkrs

Keshavkrs

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Devices:huwaei ascend g300
hi

andy009

andy009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
@Beggin,

I have recently installed the OTA ICS update via vodaphone and followed your guide on how to root my phone, I have done it with no problems what so ever. As other people have pointed out this guide was written clearly in a minimal and a reductionist fashion, which was easy to understand. I cant wait to start using my phone more effectivley. Anyways thank you very much, u deserve a pint and a medal...lol

Cheers,

Andy.

glogi01

glogi01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
please help .........
I came to the step 7 of 8
(Page 7 of 8 -
I want to install a custom Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) ROM (recommended)

)

I'm not sure which custom ROM from MoDaCo to ​​choose???
Here is sending me to the forum MoDaCo!??
which custom ROM from MoDaCo???

Edited by glogi01, 03 November 2012 - 05:02 PM.

glogi01

glogi01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, I solved the problem ... :)
I installed (I want to install the official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update
now the B944.
now everything is ok :) (I hope)

Thanks and greetings from Croatian

PS:whether it happens to anyone else, etc;
to google store ... crashes every 15sec????

Edited by glogi01, 04 November 2012 - 12:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users