Returning rooted OMC, Help!

Guest Joey Scarf

Guest Joey Scarf

I have rooted and unlocked my OMC and recently the microphone has broken, i want to return and exchange the phone but will orange know that it is rooted, and if they do, does it matter?

Edited by Joey Scarf

Guest Joey Scarf

Yeh i have already put the stock rom on. I think its hardware as they send a courier out to swap and a sales rep said they have had lots of probs with mic on OMC

Guest Sharkface

anyone know how long the warranty on the omc

One year I believe.

Previously Orange offered a "no quibble" replacement before 6 months, and after that period they would say: "There's nothing we can do, you'll need to contact ZTE". which I guess would involve sending it back to them (at your cost?) and then being without a phone whilst they repair it.

But, from 1st September 2012, Orange now deal with warranties themselves. My old phone was over nine months old, but I rang up recently due to dust under the screen and they sent me a new model via courier the next morning. New model has also developed minor dust under the screen, but that's another matter!

Mine was also rooted by the way. My issue was dust, but I returned to stock rom just to be safe.

Edited by Sharkface

Guest Sharkface

Mine is nearly 12 months old but they told me that it was only in warranty for 6 months so they couldn't replace it and i would have to pay instore.

That sounds exactly like the sort of thing they are bound to say, especially when you are so close to the end of your warranty period...

I don't know what your particular phone issue is, but you might just need to persevere. The first few times I called them I had already done some research -- basically I browsed various forums and quoted a few things that sounded legit. I plucked up more courage each time I called.

This is what I did:

1) Ask for their name.

2) Inform them you are recording the call (this is possible with certain apps) and go on to explain your issue.

3) If they try the "sorry... contact ZTE" crap, remind them that the contract is with them. The warranty is for one year (as stated in the OMC handbook). They supplied the phone and they should replace it (or, at least, repair it). "I did not buy an ORANGE Monte Carlo from ZTE, I bought it from YOU!"

4) Inform them that under the "Sale of goods act" they need to ensure their products are "fit for purpose" and "of durable quality".

5) Ask to speak to someone else (someone higher) if the first person won't help.

6) Start again at number one.

The first time I called them (in August) I got so angry I even threatened to report them to Trading Standards. In my case, the dust under the screen was obviously an inherent fault as I had taken perfect care of the phone.

From the Sale of Goods Act:

Q1. What is an inherent fault?

A fault present at the time of purchase. Examples are:

• an error in design so that a product is manufactured incorrectly

• an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted.

The "fault" may not become apparent immediately but it was there at the time of sale and so the product was not of satisfactory standard.

It was at this point they told me to call back in September because they would be then changing their warranty procedure.

When I called back on September 2nd, they remembered my original calls and politely offered to send me a replacement the next day.

Good luck.