#askmodaco - the Asus Padfone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I've been waiting a long time to try the Asus Padfone. It's not just a phone. It's not just a tablet. It's a dream. The vision of one device in multiple form factors removing data, component and cost duplication. But does it work or is the dream really a nightmare? I'm going to find out, and if YOU have questions, you can #askmodaco!

My PadFone arrived this morning courtesy of MobiCity, but I have a lot of work to do before I have a review ready hence, if you have any burning questions, you can put them to me now.

What are you waiting for? Fire away! :)

padfonepic.jpg

Click here to view the item

Guest Seagull81

Hi Paul, I get the idea of the Padfone, but I have some reservations about it's everyday useage.

• Do you think there'll come a time when you begin to think 'I can't be bothered with this dock the phone first malarkey, before I can use the Tab'? Could it become slightly tiresome?

Guest Mr.Clark

What region is that? Any sign of a GB keyboard dock yet? I have the CHT Padfone and station, but am holding out for a dock with " and @ in the right place...

Other than that, love it. All it needs is Jelly Bean.

Guest AshtonBRSC

Can you confirm that it comes with the bluetooth stylus?

Definitely looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. I'm still tempted to get it even after all this time.

Guest everett_psycho

This thing always tempted me but never seemed to come to the uk, definitely intrigued as to how it fares as a phone and tablet and the transition between, even more so with the padfone 2 around the corner with a european launch looking likely

Guest Colossae3.23

Hi Paul, I get the idea of the Padfone, but I have some reservations about it's everyday useage.

• Do you think there'll come a time when you begin to think 'I can't be bothered with this dock the phone first malarkey, before I can use the Tab'? Could it become slightly tiresome?

that's a possibility, but it could be you'd get used to it.

But, one question that comes to my mind is: will the connection be sturdy enough to take the daily in and out (or more than daily) that would happen, if this is your only phone and only tablet?

I had the USB port break on my Blade after about 18 months, and you couldn't charge it after that (without removing the battery everytime). So, I'm thinking if Asus doesn't give that type of wear and tear some consideration then this Padfone could be an expensive paperweight in a year or two of use.

PS: you know what would be cool? A fast and secure wireless connection between the two devices. You know a bit like a server and workstation desktop. Could NFC do that?

Guest razzmataz1478

that's a possibility, but it could be you'd get used to it.

But, one question that comes to my mind is: will the connection be sturdy enough to take the daily in and out (or more than daily) that would happen, if this is your only phone and only tablet?

I had the USB port break on my Blade after about 18 months, and you couldn't charge it after that (without removing the battery everytime). So, I'm thinking if Asus doesn't give that type of wear and tear some consideration then this Padfone could be an expensive paperweight in a year or two of use.

PS: you know what would be cool? A fast and secure wireless connection between the two devices. You know a bit like a server and workstation desktop. Could NFC do that?

That would be cool, but the tablet is only a screen and battery, right,?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.