Photo

Two G300, big difference between cameras (low light conditions)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I bought my G300 at the end of August, installed B894 and then B926. On top of the 926 baseband I installed B940 and the camera is working great. Last weekend I bought a G300 for my uncle, installed B895 and then updated to the 926 baseband. On top of it I installed B940, and to my surprise, the camera is working much worse.

Using the exact same settings, I hold both phones next to each other and start the camera app. In my room, in low light conditions, my phone shows a nice image with colours and nice light contrast, but my uncle's phone has a dark image with few colours. I tried with different apps, like lgCamera, all with the same result.

So, do they actually have different cameras? Or updating to ICS from different basebands in GB (B894 or B895) makes a big difference?

Both are using the same rom B940 and have the same baseband 926. Any ideas?

deltaf

deltaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
maybe the flash in phone of your uncle is off? :)

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

maybe the flash in phone of your uncle is off?

In both the flash is off... :D

As far as I see, they have the exact same settings (exposition 0, auto mode, etc.)

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & 7 running PAC
Not all G300 models have the same camera sensor so if I had to guess I would say that these two models both use different sensors hence the difference in results.

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
So you don't think it has anything to do with what version of GB I upgraded from? Just in case my uncle blames me... ^_^

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
Please run 'dmesg' after a clean boot and post the resulting logfile here for each device. In there you'll find the sensor used in the device. Up until now we've seen two different sensors and I'm curious to know if there are more, so again, please post the logfile!

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Please run 'dmesg' after a clean boot and post the resulting logfile here for each device. In there you'll find the sensor used in the device. Up until now we've seen two different sensors and I'm curious to know if there are more, so again, please post the logfile!

Should I look for a specific keyword, as dmesg | grep "something"? Right now I'm fixing a problem I had after updating Apex launcher, will post later.

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Took me some time, but I just confirmed it. My phone and my uncle's have different camera sensors:

"s5k4e1" is the good one.

"mt9p017" is the bad one.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2

Took me some time, but I just confirmed it. My phone and my uncle's have different camera sensors:

"s5k4e1" is the good one.

"mt9p017" is the bad one.

Just checked our phones and both have "mt9p017" in, is there anything to be done to improve the performance of the bad one??

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & 7 running PAC
Mine has the "mt9p017" sensor and takes pretty good pictures so it don't think it is as straight forward as good/bad sensors. Maybe either can be crappy.

The main thing I've noticed is good lighting is definitely the key.

tcpaulh

tcpaulh

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Devices:Coolpad F1, Moto G, G300
  • Twitter:@tcpaulh
Mt9p017 here and no focus hunting issue. Good to see it's capable of much higher res/fps. Now how do i tell what DSP I've got ;-)

How To Provide Error Logs

There's a problem on KitKat with text wrap / reflow not working. Issue raised here. Please Star and Reply if you think it's a stupid regression

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts
  • Devices:Crescent, G300, Y300, Nexus 5
  • Twitter:@Dazzozo

There are only two sensors used. Dump the /proc/config.gz of a stock, running device and cross-reference the enabled camera sensors with the chromatix libs present on the device.

Like my work? Give me rep!

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I had both phones next to each other with the camera on. The only difference is in the light sensor, but there is a big difference. I guess that in good light conditions both are equally good, but I cannot say the same for low light conditions.

Sorry, I said good or bad to make it clearer (and english is not my native language :P ). I wish I kept the same picture from both phones so you could see the difference, but after updating my uncle's phone to ICS I gave it back to him.

Edited by jsevi83, 13 October 2012 - 12:31 AM.

Umrtvovacz

Umrtvovacz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Funny I thought the s5k4e1 is the worst one. I have it and it makes terrible blurry and smudged photos even when the preview is clean and sharp.

I think this phone uses extremely long exposition during which we are unable to hold it steady, which causes the photos to be smudged.

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I visited my uncle so I could take the same picture with both phones in low light conditions. The first picture is from my phone, with sensor s5k4e1. The second picture is from my uncle's phone, with sensor mt9p017. Both using the same rom, the same camera app and the exact same settings. Flash was disabled in both of them. Judge for yourselves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

MrPuddington

MrPuddington

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Devices:Android

Funny I thought the s5k4e1 is the worst one. I have it and it makes terrible blurry and smudged photos even when the preview is clean and sharp.

Yes, there seems to be something wrong with the picture taking. I am not sure it is long exposure or out of focus, but either way the real picture is (often) worse than the preview. Then again sometimes the picture is really good - and I just do not understand what causes the difference.

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

I visited my uncle so I could take the same picture with both phones in low light conditions. The first picture is from my phone, with sensor s5k4e1. The second picture is from my uncle's phone, with sensor mt9p017. Both using the same rom, the same camera app and the exact same settings. Flash was disabled in both of them. Judge for yourselves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow there's a huge difference between the two :ph34r:

e2199c4dbb.png823c51b6b0.pngc3f6e04cdb.pngbc36a18046.pngead60d1912.pnge46a22ae54.png

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 Qualcomm & Huawei Ascend G300

PC: AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, Gigabyte R9 270X Winforce Edition GPU

Like my work? Hit that +1 button as a thank you! Want to support me? You could consider donating!  :)

Subscribe to my YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thekyan31

Maximus9

Maximus9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Devices:Moto G Dual Sim XT1033 16GB

Is dmesg an app or is something specific to a specific ROM version? I would like to run it but I am on stock GB. Thanks.

melodystyle2003

melodystyle2003

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Devices:U8815
Kernel on both is the same?

jsevi83

jsevi83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Is dmesg an app or is something specific to a specific ROM version? I would like to run it but I am on stock GB. Thanks.

dmesg is a linux command you run in a terminal to see kernel messages, so you can run it in any android rom.

Kernel on both is the same?

Yes, both phones using cm9 with the same kernel, same camera app and exact same settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users