ICS UPDATE : Your Review

Guest xgt001

Guest Jehannum

To remove the persistent search bar you would need to install a 3rd party launcher such as Apex Launcher.

Ah - that's a nice app - thanks for the tip.

Jehannum.

Guest Doogie Howser

Well for me the big improvement so far is the GPS reception. I've just tested it on a bike ride and it's in a different league. Previously I got lots of jagged bits and missing sections, now it's perfect. I think the sound is louder as others have suggested. I think the phone reception is possibly better as well.

If there's any negatives I think the browser is slower, has anyone else noticed this? I also occasionally get a flickering screen when I bring it out of standby but putting it back into standby and switching back again usually sorts this. Not sure what the cause of this is? I don't like the Orange status bits, much preferred them green, and also preferred the old dialer interface.

All in all 'though I'm very glad I kept the phone as I came very close to sending it back to Orange a month ago (I still have the returns bag they sent me!).

Stu.

Guest Doogie Howser

Well for me the big improvement so far is the GPS reception. I've just tested it on a bike ride and it's in a different league. Previously I got lots of jagged bits and missing sections, now it's perfect. I think the sound is louder as others have suggested. I think the phone reception is possibly better as well.

If there's any negatives I think the browser is slower, has anyone else noticed this? I also occasionally get a flickering screen when I bring it out of standby but putting it back into standby and switching back again usually sorts this. Not sure what the cause of this is? I don't like the Orange status bits, much preferred them green, and also preferred the old dialer interface.

All in all 'though I'm very glad I kept the phone as I came very close to sending it back to Orange a month ago (I still have the returns bag they sent me!).

Stu.

Guest dangerbizzla

I'm really concerned about the battery since the update. I used to work a full 9 - 5 day with mild use, some music playing and a few phone calls and I'd be on 70 percent minimum.

After a full charge last night, a half hour walk listening to music and hardly any other use I got home with only 15 percent battery.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to optimise or anything else to improve battery that would be muchly appreciated. Its driving me crazy!

Guest BlueMoonRising

I was using that screen off app which seemed fine but I woke this morning to find it totally flat.I've uninstalled and will see how I go on.

I'm experiencing the same issue about the batterie. 4 hours i'm allready down to 75%. I'm thinking maybe I need to let it charge a lot longer that when it says charged. On my blade if I let it charge all night I had a way better battery life than if I unpluged at 100%.

The second think are the speekers, which are just terrible far worst than on my blade, anyone is having this too?

Problem is I didn't use the phone on gingerbread so I can't really compare.

Edited by ayziaa

I didn't read it. Is there differences between orange and xolo update. I have an osd but i update with xolo ics. I don 'tu know if it is better to change. Thx

Guest Simon O

Here is my review:

ICS is AWESOME on the San Diego! The device didn't feel quite right running Gingerbread but it feels 100% right with ICS. Everything is smooth and fast. I swear this phone performs better than the Galaxy Nexus which I used to own. Even Chrome which is normally a bit hit and miss on ICS runs like a dream here.

Oh and I'm using the Xolo ICS. Sod all that Orange crap.

Guest dangerbizzla

I didn't read it. Is there differences between orange and xolo update. I have an osd but i update with xolo ics. I don 'tu know if it is better to change. Thx

Six hour day at work and I'm 30 percent. ICS is a hell of a lot better than GB but if the battery doesn't last then there is no point. Please anyone, help!

Guest BlueMoonRising

Six hour day at work and I'm 30 percent. ICS is a hell of a lot better than GB but if the battery doesn't last then there is no point. Please anyone, help!

Hmm, I did reply last night but the site seems to be having problems(it is the site isn't it and not me?).

I presume you're not using it much at work? Do you have data/wireless/nfc/bluetooth turned off? What apps do you have installed? It could be that something is stopping it going into deep sleep mode. When I go to sleep I always put mine into airplane mode and when I wake up it typically hasn't used any battery at all so deep sleep really does work. The only app that seems to have stopped it(and flattened my battery overnight) was https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.android.smartscreenoffpro&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIml0LmFuZHJvaWQuc21hcnRzY3JlZW5vZmZwcm8iXQ.., I've uninstalled it and haven't had any problem since.

Consider an app such as the free https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=personal.jhjeong.app.batterylite&feature=search_result or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&feature=related_apps or perhaps https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hc2tzdmVuLmJldHRlcmJhdHRlcnlzdGF0cyJd at £1.74 to monitor what's using your battery.

Of course it's also possible you've got a duff battery. :unsure:

I put my Xolo to charge while gaming as well as before going too sleep everynight.. will check properly today... I never got more than a day and a half at moderate usage in GB

Guest dangerbizzla

Hmm, I did reply last night but the site seems to be having problems(it is the site isn't it and not me?).

I presume you're not using it much at work? Do you have data/wireless/nfc/bluetooth turned off? What apps do you have installed? It could be that something is stopping it going into deep sleep mode. When I go to sleep I always put mine into airplane mode and when I wake up it typically hasn't used any battery at all so deep sleep really does work. The only app that seems to have stopped it(and flattened my battery overnight) was https://play.google....W5vZmZwcm8iXQ.., I've uninstalled it and haven't had any problem since.

Consider an app such as the free https://play.google....e=search_result or https://play.google....re=related_apps or perhaps https://play.google....HRlcnlzdGF0cyJd at £1.74 to monitor what's using your battery.

Of course it's also possible you've got a duff battery. :unsure:

Yea I had Bluetooth, mobile internet, WiFi and even GPS off.

Wierdiest thing! Left it off unplugged yesterday, and now the battery seems fine even after using WiFi for a good portion of time. Got home and I was still on 70 percent.... I have no idea what's changed but thanks for the help BlueMoonRising

Regarding the new ICS camera interface, I don't recall anyone mentioning that we have a new 'point and stitch' Panorama mode that works really well. The GB camera didn't have this, am I remembering correctly?

Regarding the new ICS camera interface, I don't recall anyone mentioning that we have a new 'point and stitch' Panorama mode that works really well. The GB camera didn't have this, am I remembering correctly?

This.

Yes, it works pretty well... but too bad I miss all the geeky features stripped down from the GB camera :/