Two questions for Devs

Guest iShubham

Guest iShubham

Hello Devs,

Im a newbie,so please dont hate me for asking this questions but I had them in my mind from alot of days.

1. What does battery life given by a ROM depend on?

I found that Lezo ROM give better battery life than Lewa ROM. Why is that? Are there any librararies causing this? or the apps inside? or the framework of ROM?

(is there any way that i get the Lezo's battery life in Lewa ROM by changing some files or replacing some files with files in Lezo?)

2. How to change Framework UI of any ROM?

Please check the screenies I attached below. Those are from Lewa ROM. Can any1 tell me that if i want same type of UI or framework (i dont know what to call it) ill just call it looks of a ROM - if i want the looks in Lezo ROM,then how to replace the files? i mean which files mainly to replace to get the changed UI?

some questions might arise later in my mind,please kindly answer these :)

Thanks!

post-981966-0-36273800-1349724946_thumb.

post-981966-0-62081500-1349724964_thumb.

Edited by iShubham

Guest l2azor

im not a dev but can answer your question to some extent i guess:

battery life of a rom basically on 2 factors ..build of rom itself and on ur usage as well

overclocking,cpu governer, deep sleep mode of fone(read wakelocks), keeping wifi bluetooth gps enabled even wen not in use, freezing some of servvices, adding some lines to build.prop files,keeping brightness to automatic, are some of factors which determine ur battery life...i have had my fone drop by 15% battery in one full day on sleep mode..and with general usage by25%...PS..i dont use my fone for games..

someone add to my answer if im incorrect..

Guest cowscrubber

One of the things you can do to change your rom's looks is to use themes. You can install a custom launcher, and find themes for your chosen launcher.

However, some aspects of a rom's looks cannot be easily changed... like the one in your second screenshot. If I'm not mistaken, that's the settings app. I think you'd have to modify the app itself to change how it looks.

Guest iShubham

im not a dev but can answer your question to some extent i guess:

battery life of a rom basically on 2 factors ..build of rom itself and on ur usage as well

overclocking,cpu governer, deep sleep mode of fone(read wakelocks), keeping wifi bluetooth gps enabled even wen not in use, freezing some of servvices, adding some lines to build.prop files,keeping brightness to automatic, are some of factors which determine ur battery life...i have had my fone drop by 15% battery in one full day on sleep mode..and with general usage by25%...PS..i dont use my fone for games..

someone add to my answer if im incorrect..

Thanks for your answer :)

But what if I use the phone in same way,with trying two differenct ROMs?

I mean for 1 day,i try Lezo ROM,i use it in like GPS,wifi off,and moderate use of Sync and Data

And other day i try Lewa ROM,i use it in same extent as i used Lezo ROM.

But i find that Lewa decreases faster in battery than Lezo, thats what i want to know,that why is such difference, what causes it?

One of the things you can do to change your rom's looks is to use themes. You can install a custom launcher, and find themes for your chosen launcher.

However, some aspects of a rom's looks cannot be easily changed... like the one in your second screenshot. If I'm not mistaken, that's the settings app. I think you'd have to modify the app itself to change how it looks.

Yes its settings app...and themes would work,but i wanted the whole UI to change,dunno if its possible to change or not,but i found something over here :

http://tech-tutors.blogspot.in/2011/10/how-to-theme-android-framework.html

Guest Snap.IT

Thanks for your answer :)

But what if I use the phone in same way,with trying two differenct ROMs?

I mean for 1 day,i try Lezo ROM,i use it in like GPS,wifi off,and moderate use of Sync and Data

And other day i try Lewa ROM,i use it in same extent as i used Lezo ROM.

But i find that Lewa decreases faster in battery than Lezo, thats what i want to know,that why is such difference.

In Lewa the "phone home" data collecting code disrupts sleep and is always running (even if you have stopped it from sending your private information by blocking the server). That explains why it drains battery faster.

In all roms it has to do with exactly that, what is running and is it active.

Guest iShubham

And there is no way to stop the data collecting?

and what is this data collectin actully? is it like background data sync for apps? and what if my mobile data is off?

Guest Snap.IT
And there is no way to stop the data collecting?

and what is this data collectin actully? is it like background data sync for apps? and what if my mobile data is off?

It's tracking data and key logging, i would never use that rom. It's like having a virus built into the code.

I suppose it can be removed but that part of the code isn't open (for obvious reasons, the dev doesn't want you to know about it) so i can't do it. Even if i could i wouldn't since i don't think anyone should ever use that devs code.

Guest iShubham

It's tracking data and key logging, i would never use that rom. It's like having a virus built into the code.

I suppose it can be removed but that part of the code isn't open (for obvious reasons, the dev doesn't want you to know about it) so i can't do it. Even if i could i wouldn't since i don't think anyone should ever use that devs code.

Ohh okay,thanks for info,i guess ill move back to Lezo then :) Any idea about the 2nd question? framework one?

Guest Snap.IT

Ohh okay,thanks for info,i guess ill move back to Lezo then Any idea about the 2nd question? framework one?

Good idea, i'm using Mokee and it became one of my few favourites in a very short amount of time. It's the subtle things like in - app transitions and such. Battery time isn't at it's peak though but i don't mind that too much considering that i pretty much have to charge my phone every day regardless of what ROM i'm using.

Now, when it comes to framework, that is really a two pronged question, are we talking about enabled settings or just UI, because when it comes to UI you can use the kitchen to cook any UI down to the settings - statusbar soft icons - navbar icons - general dialer - sms app or any default interface but when it comes to adding specific settings you have to add code.

Like Mokee, that is mostly a collection of new code mixed with old code, the UI wasn't the first priority for that dev, for some others like MIUI it is and you can tell the difference.

I am REALLY impressed with Mokee and if C3CO isn't going to continue it i will, it's the first CM7 based ROM i've ever used that kicked the arse of all newer ones in terms of smootheness and i'm running it completely in a loop file on my sdcard, it is faster from there than any other rom has ever been on nand install!

Guest iShubham

Ya,thats true, Mokee is cool :D and yes i was thinking about the UI only (not any additional settings, well though words like Kitchen scared me,lol,i can't cook ;) )

I guess using kitchen and all will be really harder to use,for a newbie like me, will have to learn many things first before it :D

Guest Snap.IT

Ya,thats true, Mokee is cool and yes i was thinking about the UI only (not any additional settings, well though words like Kitchen scared me,lol,i can't cook )

I guess using kitchen and all will be really harder to use,for a newbie like me, will have to learn many things first before it

Depends on what you are good at, i'm good at coding, if i tried to design a UI it would be horrible for everyone including myself but i do know how to use code to make sheit do what i want it to do. :D

Guest Snap.IT

Ya,thats true, Mokee is cool and yes i was thinking about the UI only (not any additional settings, well though words like Kitchen scared me,lol,i can't cook )

I guess using kitchen and all will be really harder to use,for a newbie like me, will have to learn many things first before it

Wait... no, the kitchen is really easy to use, you just add the sheit you want to add and remove the sheit you want to remove... it's real easy.... looks like sheit when i do it but then again... i still don't get why pink pants and a green overcoat would clash... not that i'd ever wear it but still, i'm designblind and UI challenged, what makes sense to me would confuse everyone else.