44 replies to this topic

i am not a hacker

i am not a hacker

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade and Orange San Diego
Ok on better battery stats look at wake locks or something similar in the app as that would be the most likely cause if the prevention of deep sleep.

Btw, over time the battery will become better. Give it a few weeks

Nexus 10
Orange San Diego

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
Ah. I deleted social gallery from the system partition and replaced with the stock 4.0.4 gallery application. That'll be why I don't have the issues.

punjabi

punjabi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego

Ah. I deleted social gallery from the system partition and replaced with the stock 4.0.4 gallery application. That'll be why I don't have the issues.

That's it then!
Where did you get the stock gallery from...?

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Why would the gallery be using an audio_in process? Also, when I listened to music earlier on my OSD a new process appeared as Audio_out under com.intel.android.gallery.media.social gallery and it ran for 10s more. Its probably irrelavent I'm just wondering why a gallery app would be using audio in/out.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF

That's it then!
Where did you get the stock gallery from...?

Possibly https://play.google....GxlcnlpY3MiXQ..

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Why would the gallery be using an audio_in process? Also, when I listened to music earlier on my OSD a new process appeared as Audio_out under com.intel.android.gallery.media.social gallery and it ran for 10s more. Its probably irrelavent I'm just wondering why a gallery app would be using audio in/out.

I'm using Quickpics but Social Gallery can play Video files can it not? That would explain the audio link.

Although I believe it's fixed now I came across this from within betterbatterystats regarding a bug in Chrome posted back in July :-
http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=28676218

"I found that using Chrome for Android would, at times, drain my battery in the background substantially, to the point where it would be the first or second highest "reason" listed for battery drain, even when I hadn't opened the app all day.

Thanks to Badass Battery Monitor, I found that Chrome was using the Gyroscope in the background. This doesn't make any sense, so I assume it's a bug.

Here are the steps I used to resolve it:

1. Open up Chrome
2. Go to Settings
3. Select "Developer tools"
4. Uncheck "Enable Tilt Scrolling"
5. Reboot the phone"

So battery draining reasons might not be soo simple as it first appears.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
Which stat should we be concentrating on within betterbatterystats for wakelocks? Count, Wake Count or Expire Count? I'm presuming Wake Count.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I'm using Quickpics but Social Gallery can play Video files can it not? That would explain the audio link.

Yeah but it was under my pillow for an hour or two when it was using audio_in, I would presume its just a bug, I'll disable and install stock ICS gallery and let everyone know what battery is like today.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts

Possibly https://play.google....GxlcnlpY3MiXQ..

I did it the hard way be deleting social gallery from the /system folder (which needs root & unsecure adb) but disabling social gallery from the Settings > Apps control panel then installing GalleryICS will work just as well.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I did it the hard way be deleting social gallery from the /system folder (which needs root & unsecure adb) but disabling social gallery from the Settings > Apps control panel then installing GalleryICS will work just as well.

BetterBatteryStats is still showing *overflow* and audio_out under com.intel.android.gallery.media.Social Gallery
despite having force stopped then disabled Social Gallery. Why would it still have anything happening? I just find it slightly strange that for a gallery app its using audio in/out while I'm not using my phone and after disabling it still has processes going on.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
Did you reboot the phone after disabling social gallery?

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Did you reboot the phone after disabling social gallery?

Ahh, it appears I've made a newbie error lol. I'll reboot and keep an eye out to see if it goes away then. I'd imagine it will though.

Edit: just rebooted and *overflow* is at the top of the wakelock list since boot.

Edited by Gibson.1, 17 October 2012 - 08:40 PM.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

BetterBatteryStats is still showing *overflow* and audio_out under com.intel.android.gallery.media.Social Gallery
despite having force stopped then disabled Social Gallery. Why would it still have anything happening? I just find it slightly strange that for a gallery app its using audio in/out while I'm not using my phone and after disabling it still has processes going on.

OK, I am a newbie and obviously missing something obvious to you guys. I've got the same entries after rebooting yesterday despite disabling the app, why does rebooting put them back in BetterBatteryStats list?

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

OK, I am a newbie and obviously missing something obvious to you guys. I've got the same entries after rebooting yesterday despite disabling the app, why does rebooting put them back in BetterBatteryStats list?

I've rebooted twice and they're still there, first reboot just left two, second reboot and after a sleep I all of a sudden have all of the wakelocks back.

I think that the social gallery process actually deals with other parts of the system, specifically audio, and that's why its not going away. I'm pretty new to this stuff, maybe the android gallery process does deal with audio etc. And its well known, but I just assumed gallery meant pics/video.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Social Gallery is a strange one, I noticed that even after freezing it still shows in stats.....then I uninstalled it and now its history :)

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
Just delete it manually and replace it with GalleryICS or something. Job done. You'll need to set the system as read/write. Easiest way is to install the unsecure adb app from the market and enable this, then on your computer open up the command prompt/terminal and do

adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/SocialGal*

and boom - it's gone :D

xgt001

xgt001

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Devices:Xolo X900
Hi

Confirmed that Social Gallery is a major battery sucker.... can anyone report any major difference in battery life after removing it? I have just disablied it yet, not completely removed it....

schkinx

schkinx

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Devices:xolo x900 .. Nexus 7 cm10
cant find " unsecure adb" on the market :(

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
https://play.google.....chainfire.adbd

It'll let you use an insecure adb so you can use adb push and adb remount commands from your computer. Easier to delete and replace files with this enabled.

xgt001

xgt001

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Devices:Xolo X900
okay, thankfully looks like it is successfully going into deep sleep... I had to remove Viber and turn off data as I have wifi...Will test it again with Juice Defender on. Also removed some annoying games which "might" be waking up the device with notification ads, and as discussed at length in this thread, Social Gallery is a culprit too... will report once I get rid of it completely

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users