good navigation app

Guest yaqh

Guest Colossae3.23

get yourself on this list for a chance @ a free version.

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/we-have-5-copies-of-copilot-to-give-away-r818

I use this and it's really good choice. I does load the maps to your sd card, so you have offline access.

If you don't win the free on, and you don't want to pay. I believe google maps now has offline caching of maps. Which means you have to know your exact route and then save those map "pages" for offline use. I'm sure it works great, as long as you aren't forced into any detours.

Hope that helps

Guest Colossae3.23

no, you do not, but you can choose to use wifi, and phone signal to make connection to GPS faster. But, its not required. Look in your android settings for those options

no, you do not, but you can choose to use wifi, and phone signal to make connection to GPS faster. But, its not required. Look in your android settings for those options

how would you use wifi on the move?

is there a good navigaion app that does not use internet connection. i want to use gps on the move when finding locations.

MM Tracker uses off-line OS maps; I use for my biking and walking trips. I've been using it for 2+ years and it's superb.

However Memory Map (a program that’s runs on Windows) made the developer withdraw it from Play Store, something to do with licensing but I think it’s still available at: http://www.androidpi...eixi/MM-Tracker.

The MM Tracker developers website for: https://sites.google.../mmtrackerinfo/

Guest Colossae3.23

how would you use wifi on the move?

well free wifi (starbucks, etc). But, you are right, its not practical. But that's what it says in the android GPS settings. Phone signal would more practical. See location service info, in the settings

well free wifi (starbucks, etc). But, you are right, its not practical. But that's what it says in the android GPS settings. Phone signal would more practical. See location service info, in the settings

i tried wifi and gps and nothing working.

Guest Colossae3.23

i tried wifi and gps and nothing working.

What was talking about before was using wifi and phone signal to help the GPS lock into a satellite quicker. Which you would only need to use when you start your journey, or if you lose the satellite lock for some reason.

Try Mapfactor Navigator Free. You can download it from the Play store. You then have the option of either paying to download TomTom mapping, or downloading OpenSource maps for free. I've used the OpenSource maps, and they seem pretty good - although the menu isn't as slick as some modern applications it still works.

That said, I tend to use Google Maps for navigation these days as the integration with Google Search, and the road traffic layer are so useful. You can always download the areas of map you need to your phone while you're connected to WiFi.

Guest TangerineTractor

I use navigon, you can get it for free if you look in the right places :ph34r:

beat me to it! navigon and TomTom can both be"found" if you look a bit.

beat me to it! navigon and TomTom can both be"found" if you look a bit.

is navigon better than navfree and can you it offline like navfree, which version are you guys using?

Guest Rico_89

I'll have to try TomTom, I wasn't aware that they finally released an android version.

I have to say though that Sygic is the best because it uses TomTom maps and you can even search for addresses offline, so no need to turn data on, ever. Also you can use it to navigate all over the world, it really is an awesome app. Although I will have to try TomTom out, but it has to be pretty good to beat Sygic.

Guest alexslane

I'll have to try TomTom, I wasn't aware that they finally released an android version.

I have to say though that Sygic is the best because it uses TomTom maps and you can even search for addresses offline, so no need to turn data on, ever. Also you can use it to navigate all over the world, it really is an awesome app. Although I will have to try TomTom out, but it has to be pretty good to beat Sygic.

Yep have to admit Sygic is bang on. I drive a coach and use this all the time and never ever had any problems at all.

Yep have to admit Sygic is bang on. I drive a coach and use this all the time and never ever had any problems at all.

is this free, because on play it says 7day trial?

Guest jsevi83

Lots of people complain that Sygic doesn't calculate routes properly in some countries. Apart from that, it has the best interface and a lot of options. Navigon calculates routes very well, but its interface is not so good. Tomtom also calculates routes very well, but this first release is missing some features. I think all of them can find addresses offline, you need to download the maps the first time you open the app and then you can use it offline. You only need to be connected to use live traffic reports.

The trial version of Sygic is free, but after the trial period you have to pay, of course. I don't think Tomtom or Navigon have trial versions.