Note 2 Multi Window Tool

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

READ ALL OF THIS POST CAREFULLY!

Multi Window on the Note 2 is kinda cool, but it only works with limited apps, which kinda sucks. There are 2 solutions to this - the first is to wait for developers to add support (perhaps using my guide), the second is to edit one of the framework APKs to enable other apps. The second is the most useful, but perhaps a little complex for most people.

So here's a tool to help. :)

This tool takes a list of apps and creates you an update zip (for flashing via clockworkmod) with a modified framework APK that enables your chosen apps for multi window support.

Important points to note...

• This tool is ONLY tested on the LJ1 release, additional options are added via user requests. I STRONGLY recommend you don't use the resulting zip on a ROM version other than that for which it's intended.
  • Backup before flashing the update zip. No really! Or at LEAST backup the framework-res.apk.
  • If you don't want to use clockworkmod you can extract the framework-res.apk and push it via ADB. Make sure to set the permissions to 0644 or your device won't boot.
  • Be very careful to ensure that your entries in the tool are correctly formed or again you could end up with a non-booting device.
  • Use this tool at your own risk!

Got that? OK, let me tell you how to compile the list in the tool.

Simply, you need to enter <item> </item> tags with the 'package names' of your chosen apps in the textbox. Package names are best found on the web Play Store by looking at the URL. Here's some examples for you.

Plume on the web Play Store is at play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.touiteur - therefore the package name is com.levelup.touiteur and you should use the entry <item>com.levelup.touiteur</item>.

TVCatchup on the web Play Store is at play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gzero.tv - therefore the package name is com.gzero.tv and you should use the entry <item>com.gzero.tv</item>.

Simple eh? Just put in the ones you need, hit the button and download your update zip.

One final thing... this service is provided free. If you want to support my work, help provide the server environment for things like this to run on and get cool access to all the other MoDaCo stuff now and going forward, please consider signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus subscription. Thanks for your support. :)

Note 2 Multi Window Tool

http://nigella.modaco.com/note2mw.php' method='post'>

LJ1

LJ3

Guest sumeshd

Thank you very much paul sir..

Was waiting for u to show up here..

Thank you for support and hope you keep doing dev for us..

Waiting for mcr also..

Thank you..

Guest edgabimbam

yeh,so far best mod for galaxy note 2 :) really impressive. Btw i need also to put packages names which are already integrated? like stock browser,maps?

edit: found answer

Edited by edgabimbam

First, thanks for this tool - I made my own framework-res file before you published this, but I was too lazy to do it again for apps I forgot - so this is awesome even for people who know how to do it.

I found a bug in your Update cwm.

You assume busybox in the updater-script. Also you assume the path /sbin/busybox.

I have no busybox installed, So flashing the zip didn't change anything.

I went to playstore to get busybox, both I tried use /system/bin or xbin as default install dir.

You can write your updater-script so it doesn't need busybox at all.

Then for some reason which I don't know yet flashing the zip file didn't add the apps I was expecting to see to the multi.... - *Stopped writing in the middle* - *Checking Edit menu... Found apps...*

Well. Can we turn time back a few minutes? to the moment before I proved myself as a complete idiot?

I got a feature request :)

I don't want chaton and email to be in the list at all.

Can you allow adding "-" or "!" at index 0 of each line to tell you script to remove those from arrays.xml?

Not very important but useful :)

for example :

!<item>com.android.mms</item>

<item>com.sec.android.gallery3d</item>

!<item>com.sec.android.app.snotebook</item>

<item>com.google.android.apps.maps</item>

!<item>com.google.android.maps</item>

<item>com.google.android.gm</item>

!<item>com.google.android.talk</item>

<item>com.google.android.youtube</item>

<item>com.google.android.gsf.login</item>

Edited by eitama

I could just make it start with an empty list and you have to add everything you want?

P

That's fine with me but in that case please edit the OP to reflect the defaults apps because people will not know they need to add them, they will generate CWM with apps they added

and then they will find out the old apps are gone :)

Guest Bluefox

Hi Paul, I´ve sent you a twitter request for the Note 10.1 yesterday.

I´ve looked in the framework-res.apk and couldn´t find any list with the "item"´s in the xml´s.

I´ve looked also in the framework-res.apk of the jellybean-leak an there´s the same.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks.

Guest Bluefox

At the moment you could only go back to stock apps (delete the line <item>put.packagename.here</item> in the text box), I think. But it´s already mentioned above, look at post #12 and #13.

Guest evilive27

I don't have one so I don't know, sorry... are the framework edits the same do you know?

P

honestly i have no idea. is there anyway i could email or pm you the framework-res from the 10.1 for you to look at at when you have time ?