The Nabi 2 Tablet - strictly childs play?

Guest Zarch1972

Guest Zarch1972

"Faster than a Kindle Fire, more powerful than an iPad2, able to LEAP FROG toy tablets in a single bound..."

Nabi have launched a high spec, Tegra 3 driven, robust 7" tablet aimed at kids with strong parental controls (with Mommy/Daddy mode and multi child profiles).

Apps are gained through Amazon Appstore. Google Play currently isn't available as "they are in the process of obtaining Google’s authorization to pre-install Google Play on nabi 2 and having nabi 2 certified for Google Mobile Services (GMS)." The device comes pre-installed with "tons of content, including games, apps, books, music, videos, learning tools and more." and 2gb of free "nabi cloud" storage for videos etc.

The Nabi 2 is priced at £149.99, available from Smyths Toys.

The specs:

• Display: 7-inch, Capacitive, Multi-Touch Display, 1024 x 600 Resolution
  • CPU: NVIDIA® Tegra® 3, Super 4-PLUS-1™ Quad Core with 5th Battery Saver Core
  • Storage: 8 GB, Expandable via MicroSD (Up to 32 GB); Plus 2 GB FREE Cloud Storage
  • Memory: 1GB RAM
  • Camera: 2MP Front Facing Camera 720p Video
  • Battery: 3,850 mAh Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
  • Size & Weight: (with Drop-Safe Bumper)
  • Width: 220.8 mm
  • Height: 153.7 mm
  • Depth: 29.08 mm
  • Weight: 596 g
  • Network: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth 3.0
  • Input / Output: Micro USB 2.0 Port, Mini HDMI, MicroSD Compatible Cartridge Slot, 3.5 mm Standard Audio Jack, Built-In Microphone, DC Connector
  • Audio + Video Format: Audio: MP3, AAC, Video: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
  • In the Box: nabi™ Tablet, Power Adapter (supports 100-240V), USB Cable, Product Information

So £150 for a 7" Tegra based tablet with 8GB storage and microSD expansion? Would you buy your kids one? Is it a better proposition that these static Leap Frog devices?

I know my little girl enjoys playing on my Nexus 7 from time to time but i'm scared to death of her dropping it. Maybe something like this fits the bill?

What do you think?

24-Oct-2012_nabi2.jpg

[source: Nabi Tablet Website ]

Click here to view the item

Guest PaulOBrien

I actually think this seems pretty good. The back looks a bit odd, but i'm interested to see what accessories come out.

Seriously tempted to buy one for my daughter!

P

It sounds pretty good, and honestly, for something that's aimed at children and having a more robust frame, the specs and price are extremely sensible.

My only issue with all of this, is that while my daughter loves my Android tablets, we really struggle to find good "fully fledged" kid apps for her on the market. Sure there are some little ones, but they rarely hold her attention for long and their educational value is usually zip. The clear exception to this is Zoodles: Kid Mode, but the huge drawback there is the need for a constant internet connection. Fine on a phone, but a pain on a WiFi only tablet.

The alternative (and one that she enjoys) is the ability to go to websites (such as the CBeebies site) and play the Flash games available there. This can be a little hit and miss, and some of the games require keyboard and mouse to play, or flat-out don't like being played on an Android device, although a goodly portion of them work well enough. The problem here is that with device upgrades heading to JellyBean, easy access to Flash without hacking the thing to bits becomes problematic, and for this reason I have left my Moto Xoom on ICS to allow her to play Flash games without having to fiddle. The Nabi also appears to be on ICS, for this reason? Or will it receive and update and thus disable Flash?

Couple this with no good way of filtering the Play Store to prevent children from downloading unwanted apps (but allowing them to download ones you want), as well as no ability to have multiple profiles, and the whole thing adds up to them not being 100% child friendly. BTW, my daughter is 3, so those of you with older children may not have these problems, but for me I want to control what she has access to without completely limiting her ability to explore.

The Nabi appears to address some of these issues, but at it's core, still being Android, I'm not sure this is enough?

Would have to get my hands on one to fully test, but my solution for now is that I have purchased her a VTech Innotab 2 (there is a similar device from Leapfrog). These devices also have issues, namely complete lack of WiFi, and horrible battery life (using AA batteries). But the whole thing is geared for her age group, does not rely on WiFi for games to run while we are out and about, and you can purchase fully fledged feature games (on cartridge or from their DLC store) which are both engaging for her, and long-lasting.

Would still like to try the Nabi 2 out and let her take it for a spin, because it really does look like they have put a lot of thought in to this, and the size, strength and friendliness certainly seems to be ahead of anything else for young Android enthusiasts :)

newbe5

Even though this is more powerful and looks a better build quality, I still think I prefer the Archos ChildPad only because the price is cheaper and it comes with a free years subscription to parental control software. So far the Childpad has weathered well and is decent enough for the apps my son plays and the movies he's currently into. I removed the app store and sideloaded a few of his favourite games along with Zoodles, plus the parental controls on the internet access allow me to give access to Cbeebies in the daytime. Every once in awhile I'll load the appstore back on and check for updates (be nice if it could be locked out, not happy with just the pin code access for paid purchases).

Either way it keeps him away from our Asus tablet and our phones and is great for journeys (add a powermonkey to your arsenal and you can take it on a few long plane trips as well). I would recommend a child friendly tablet for kids if they are already exposed to them at home and use them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.