What made you buy the G300?

Guest krishang3

Guest krishang3

Hello I'm a bit curious and would like to know of that why or what made you buy our beloved Huawei Ascend G300...

Are you happy with this device so far?

And why?

Is it rooted or does it have a custom rom installed?

Would you stick to the G300?

And lastly how much damage has it received since you've bought it...

This is just me being curious and I feel it'd be great seeing others opinion on this device.

Thanks.

Guest shockdj

I bought it because it seemed good value for money with a lot of devs getting excited about this could be the next zte blade. It was not the case. Few devs. Poor build quality and s*** buggy official builds too. Just ordered my nexus 4 woooo

Yes.

And why?

It does what I thought it would, and a bit more. It's better built than the blade or T-Mobile Vivacity (blade 0.5 :)). Doesn't catch fire when pushed, and has a pleasant to use touchscreen. The screen size is perfect, and we hopefully have an awesome rom on the way. Huawei are way better than ZTE.

Yes & B944 stock

Sure. Tempted to get an N4 and pass this on.

None. Have a bumper + pouch case.

Guest Al_1604

Bought mine for the price/spec ratio.

Yes, happy with it - lovely screen, does everything I want, looks nice.

Rooted with stock+

Would stick with it except my son has now 'commandeered' it so I now have a Jiayu G2 on order.

No noticable damage - seems surprisingly tough (have silicone case).

Heck, forgot to say, one of the reasons I bought it was that this forum was already healthy and productive, excellent support from fellow users a MAJOR plus when buying your first Android device!

Edited by Al_1604

Guest top_score

why

expert reviews basically saying there is no phone better for it's price.

the rom it was running or might have in the future was never a consideration as at the time of purchase I fully intended to root and put a custom rom on.

rom

infusion with genoV2 kernel

stock+

I switch between the two

durability

no screen protector, covers or case and only a few tiny marks on thre rear.

downside/disappointments

not many rom developers, or roms being developed, but what there are a pretty damn good. so quality rather than quantity.

no cyanogenmod full port, CM7 (I know about the problems of cm9 and cm10 and wasn't even expecting them.

ring volume is hideously low.

what the future holds

until it dies no thought of changing it, when it does die will check expert reviews again to check out phones in the same price range.

I got one because my blade was looking a bit knackered and I wanted another £100 ish phone to replace it that would be slightly quicker and have a better battery.

It was all the reviews that made me buy it. I was completely swayed by them.

My g300 is ok. I haven't rooted it or anything, though I did with the blade. I haven't updated to ics as checking this forum it doesn't seem like much cop.

There's a few scratches on the back so i got a cover a few weeks ago. I will probably change phones when its over a year old

Guest mark398

Hello I'm a bit curious and would like to know of that why or what made you buy our beloved Huawei Ascend G300...

* Unbeatable price/performance

* Hugely

And why?

* It does everything well. Not the best, but well.

* Now on Infusion, but was stock until a week ago

* I'm going to treat myself to a Nexus4 for Crimbo, but the G300 will still be i use

* It has bounced of the floor a couple of times, but it's in a case and still in perfect nick.

This is just me being curious and I feel it'd be great seeing others opinion on this device.

Thanks.

Guest TangerineTractor

I haven't updated to ics as checking this forum it doesn't seem like much cop.

That's completely untrue. ICS, especially a 944 based one, is miles ahead of any GB ROM on the g300. If you're still on GB and are impressed with the phone, you'll be blown away on a rom like Stock+

Guest godsakes

I got one because for the money it was by far the best spec smart phone on the market at the time.

I was a little disappointed that mine has low mic volume issues (workaround using speaker phone) and the touch screen responsiveness could have been better. I'm was also disappointed by the relatively modest developer support but since we've had some worthwhile roms with overclocking built in (like Stock+), it's no longer a major issue (though we'd all like 2d hardware acceleration)

I'll probably stick with the G300, until dual core phones with decent GPUs break the sub £100 price point.

Edited by godsakes

I brought one of theese for a number of reasons. First of for 63£ nothing touched it specs wise. I wasnt to fussed what os it come with as long as there was some community for it.I had a zte crescent before this and used daz cm9 on it as my daily so when i also see he was deving for it it was the icing on the cake.

I have to say though the hardware is amazing but software isn't. Im grateful to anyone who spends there own time and effort trying to make this device better for us. Big thanks to them.

Guest thepolodoc

Mostly

And why?

For £100 at the time it was good and it runs everything I need to well. Its a shame huawei has screwed us over so many times that the brand name now has been damaged for me.

Rooted and Custom Rom on (SGS3)

Until I can get a new phone I have to!

Dent on top right corner where I dropped it onto concrete and the obvious paint scratches around the indent to take the back cover off. No damage other than that because of silicone case

That's completely untrue. ICS, especially a 944 based one, is miles ahead of any GB ROM on the g300. If you're still on GB and are impressed with the phone, you'll be blown away on a rom like Stock+

Sorry I meant the ota official ics update that came through last week doesn't sound very good.

Guest unaszplodrmann

OK, its better than previous ICS builds and speedwise, B944 is fine for general use, but the memory management suffers the same whackiness. Anyone who wants solid performance is best off with GB still.

Guest merchan

Basically price/specs especially the 4" screen. There were no other phones at that price with such good specs. For a little more there were xperia U but no sdcard slot, smaller screen and it is a pretty bulky ugly phone.

GB on this phone is great. ICS is awful which made me consider to return the device but there were no phone with similar specs specially the screen for the same price.

Guest Al_1604

Why would anyone actually return this phone, they've been selling on ebay (OK it's a while since I looked) for more than original cost if unlocked (and no wonder given the screen etc. , despite the (ICS) 'faults' it's still a great phone for the price.

Guest Aradalienz

Well i bought a Sony miro at 1st on payg and it was crap the sdcard could only be used for media nothing else

so i traded it in for a new g300 and omg makes the miro look like a toy phone best purchase i have made in

androids yet and ive had the desire HD and nexus devices a year or 2 back :blink:

Guest hippy dave

sounded like the best value option in my price range

yes, very

And why?

decent, capable - good phone and fun gadget, living up to the great value reputation. love the look and feel of it (in its case). it's my first android device and i'm liking that os, the available roms aren't all the way there yet but i'm confident they will be soon, and i enjoy the mild geekery of trying them out.

yep, barely even touched the supplied gb before trying out an official ics then some unofficial roms.

yes, we're going to be very happy together. it's not like i can afford to change phones often but am happy with my choice.

a tiny crack in the side of the battery cover, from being slightly too hasty when removing it.

Guest fogoticus

Hello there.

"Are you happy with this device so far?"

Definitly yes for the past 10 minutes I'm extremely happy with it!

"And why?"

Because I just found a superb kernel for it that removes some of the input lag from the touch screen thus feeling more responsive and definitely being a sexier phone.

"Is it rooted or does it have a custom rom installed?"

Both? I have the stock UK B936 with Stock+ and http://www.modaco.com/topic/358992-kernel-308-kernel-for-official-ics-roms/ this kernel. Absolutely gorgeous update this kernel.

"Would you stick to the G300?"

Good question. At the moment i have my feelings a bit mixed in a blender... I'd say yes because this kernel just made my heart bigger but in the same time if I'd have a bit more cash I'd probably go to a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

"And lastly how much damage has it received since you've bought it..."

Poor thing received some damage... I caught the phone red handed kissing the floor a few times.At the moment the screen has only one slight scratch which is unnoticeable if you look at the screen directly. It got a few scratches on the corners and the Huawei logo got .... well... raped.

Also it was a coincidece that I got this phone. It was for my 18th birthday and well dad wanted to get me an LG L5.. bleh, as soon as I saw the specs of this G300 I almost yelled at the woman making the contract for the L5. Finally 6 hours later we returned to the store and we found out that the contract got canceled succesfully and I got this bad boy. Worth it I'd say!

Guest PaulMilbank

yes, very, sold my x5 for $180 and paid $250 for this one, well worth the $70 to have a functional ICS even though just after I sold it DZO started working on Aurora ICS again :(.

And why?

Good value, native ICS, Great screen, 4 inch size is perfect, Good DEV community, easy to root, unlock and CWM=fun times for me to tweak my phone.

Took me two days to decide to root and then a week to start working on a custom kernel. Love it.

Great phone for now. When my plan comes up for renewal next year, I may change, but really happy for now. It is quite fast and functional for what it is and works well.

None yet, It has had a protective rubber case from the day I bought it.

Guest krishang3

yes, very, sold my x5 for $180 and paid $250 for this one, well worth the $70 to have a functional ICS even though just after I sold it DZO started working on Aurora ICS again :(.

And why?

Good value, native ICS, Great screen, 4 inch size is perfect, Good DEV community, easy to root, unlock and CWM=fun times for me to tweak my phone.

Took me two days to decide to root and then a week to start working on a custom kernel. Love it.

Great phone for now. When my plan comes up for renewal next year, I may change, but really happy for now. It is quite fast and functional for what it is and works well.

None yet, It has had a protective rubber case from the day I bought it.

Dude tried your kernel, seems more appropriate then the others, I really like it...just wanting permission to add this kernel to my upcoming rom "Jelly Cream Sandwich" don't worry you will be credited...

Awesome work on the kernel it'll be more amazing once you get init.d support on it...

Good work