[Mod] Link2Int v1.1 - [Use 2GB internal as app storage - tested with CM9/CM10/CM10.1] 03/12

Guest Cyda

Link2Int v1.1

This mod is presented as-is. I created it for myself. If it doesn't work for you then you're out of luck.

What does this mod do?

This mod allows you to use your 2GB Internal storage as additional app storage space.

How does it do that?

When flashed this mod installs the Link2SD app, a init.d mount script, creates a mount point and sets the correct permissions. Once installed you can move any app to the internal storage via Link2SD.

Requirements

Rooted with CWM installed

An sdcard - seriously you still need one.

A rom with init.d support - tested with CM9 and CM10.

Installation

Flash the following file via CWM - download - (mirror) - md5: fa3789ced7a2589c1ce450bb74656fab

If updating from v1; please use the v1 removal zip before installing the v1.1 update.

Removal

Flash the following file via CWM - download - (mirror) - md5: b787cead683291def9e6fdecd71fa73a

Basic usage

Once installed and rebooted open the Link2SD app from the app drawer, find the app you wish to move (Link2SD has options for listing apps by size etc) click on it and then press the 'Create link' button. You'll be asked what you want to link, I normally choose all of them, and then click ok. The app will then be moved to the 2GB internal partition.

When using this mod you REALLY do not want to be using the 2GB Internal storage for any other use. This mod should be used only when your 2GB internal storage is 'wasted space' and you need another use for it. Having your default storage set to internal storage and having this mod installed is not advised.

Reinstall after flashing a rom

Once you flash a new rom you will need to re-flash the install file to re-apply the mount script.

Additional credits

elperroderoke - for his initial work in this thread here

Bulent Akpinar - Link2SD

Edited by Cyda

In CM9, if you go to Settings > Storage > Storage configuration, there is an option to use internal storage for apps. Is it very different from this?

I am not 100% sure where that puts the apps. When it says "Using expanded internal storage" I don't know if that means the 2GB partition. I'll have to ask Daz.

Either way I think Link2SD gives a lot more control over what you want to move.

Edit: Daz has explained that the option in CM9 basically changes your default storage between sdcard and internal, in the same way as you had this option with stock, except it actually works. So yeah, that is a very different thing to this mod.

Edited by Cyda

Guest Dellboy2012

And this little thingy together with CM9 is going to make my g300 just like i wanted it. Thanks Cyda, good work as always.

P.S. Just one question, ticking the option you talked about makes internal default, right?

And this little thingy together with CM9 is going to make my g300 just like i wanted it. Thanks Cyda, good work as always.

P.S. Just one question, ticking the option you talked about makes internal default, right?

Yeah, probably not something you want to do while running this mod. It won't do any harm but you'll run out of space pretty quick.

Guest unaszplodrmann

I am not 100% sure where that puts the apps. When it says "Using expanded internal storage" I don't know if that means the 2GB partition. I'll have to ask Daz.

I'm not sure sure whether "expanded internal storage" can even work unless the mountpoint is formatted to ext3/4, anyway. This feature is one of the main benefits of the switch to MTP and is primarily aimed at tablets, rther than phones with external storage running antiquated file systems ;)

I've been wanting to move over to ext4 for user partitions since installing ICS, but of course stock won't allow it... Will play this evening.

Guest prosist

hi. i flashed i and everything went ok.

but how do i actually use that 2GB space? it still shows as a separate partition, and still is empty. can you please give me some insights?

hi. i flashed i and everything went ok.

but how do i actually use that 2GB space? it still shows as a separate partition, and still is empty. can you please give me some insights?

You use the Link2SD app that the mod installs. Open Link2SD, find the app you wish to move (Link2SD has options for listing apps by size etc) click on it and then press the 'Create link' button. You'll be asked what you want to link, I normally choose all of them, and then click ok. The app will then be moved to the 2GB partition.

Guest prosist

You use the Link2SD app that the mod installs. Open Link2SD, find the app you wish to move (Link2SD has options for listing apps by size etc) click on it and then press the 'Create link' button. You'll be asked what you want to link, I normally choose all of them, and then click ok. The app will then be moved to the 2GB partition.

thanks!

i confirm it works with INFUSION B05 http://www.modaco.com/topic/355994-rom-ics-infusion-091112-6-themes-b05/

cheers

Guest Miki Bakaiki

oh, damn, i didnt see it, sorry !

Can i move system apps too, or not ? If i have widgets and move the app, the widget will stop working ?

EDIT : nevermind, i've done it and it all seems to be pretty nice ! Thanks !! :)

Edited by Miki Bakaiki

oh, damn, i didnt see it, sorry !

Can i move system apps too, or not ? If i have widgets and move the app, the widget will stop working ?

I think you can move system apps but I wouldn't really recommend it. I don't know on the widget question because I move my apps first and then add any widgets, I've never had any problems doing it this way.

Link2SD is a superb app once you get used to it, it can uninstall / freeze/ move system apps as good as any of the paid apps too.

Guest e.miron

I am on Stock+, this mod does not work for me, , link2sd says that it can't find a partition to link to. Tried also the other mod, and my sd card keeps dissapearing from system, although ES Explorer found it ok and well.

It seems the new CWM 6 doesn't mount system correctly when flashing the zips. To get around this; boot to CWM go to Mounts and Storage > unmount /system and then mount /system again. Then go and flash the zip as normal, this worked for me and Link2Int is working again for me.

Cyda , i just updated from CWM 5 .X , but i lost my linked apps ! Is there any way to have them back (without reflasing them) ?

Just re-flash the mod again as before and you apps will magically re-appear. ;)