Rubbing Salt in the Wounds

Guest bobroberts

Guest bobroberts

They may have been there a while (or they maybe new - i'm not sure) but the 20 FREEgames for the java compatible phones on the orange website is very like shoving the certification thing up ones backside. if you catch my drift...

Haven't unlocked yet as I've only got my 64mb card for day to day stuff and the useless 8mb card and I can't afford another card yet. Don't really want to unlock without a backup. I've flashed BIOSes before and seen it kill machines (actually only once but it took weeks to find a replacement BIOS) and so like many i'm a tad nervous of unlocking still.

Funny how there isn't really much free software from oranges end of things... oh that'll be because there's a certification lock and no java then... doh!

sorry for the rant

Guest bobroberts

now i've actually looked closer I noticed two main points

1) not all the games are free (about 10 are free):oops:

2) most of them (if not all) look rubbish compared to my lovely SPV :)

sorry for the rant.. again

Guest Gorskar

I don't see what you are worried about - loads of people have successfully app-unlocked their phones just by following a few simple steps - no bios flash is needed.

And how can rubbishy java games compare to doom, motocross Stunt racer, or gameboy/NES emulators ? Current Java games are very poor in comparison to what the SPV has to offer.

Guest mashkhan

Got to agree with you there, a colleague has just got himself on of those Motorola T720 "games phones". It isn't a patch on the SPV, the games were pretty crap and the only way to transfer them onto his phone was via WAP. To cap it all off they want you to pay for the games as well!

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Motorola

Argh, swearword! That T720 is a real piece of crud :) A colleague has one, and a quick play with it served only to reinforce my hatred of Motorola phones. I don't really play games on the SPV (got a GBA for that, with a GBA SP on pre-order) but the the games I have seen on the SPV really are way superior to those available for any other phone on the market right now. Quality, not quantity.....

Guest yatpeak

GBA SP. I didn't even know about them. It looks really good, and I like the silver colour, but I prefer the shape of the GBA (I know many people would disagree with me on this :) ).

Just my thoughts,

Wyatt

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
GBA SP. I didn't even know about them. It looks really good, and I like the silver colour, but I prefer the shape of the GBA (I know many people would disagree with me on this :) )

I was always a fan of the old Gameboys, never really got into the shape of the GBA - the greatest thing about the SP is the rechargeable battery pack - at bloody last ;)

SPV + GBA SP - I can't bloody wait :lol: I'll post a mini review in Off Topic Chat when it arrives (late, probably - my pre-ordered GBA came after the damn things were oficially released over here in DK :roll: )

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

" ...I've flashed BIOSes before and seen it kill machines (actually only once but it took weeks to find a replacement BIOS) and so like many i'm a tad nervous of unlocking still."

Little known fact that results in skips full of discarded motherboards.... A wrongly-flashed BIOS can often be rescued by disconnecting EVERYTHING except memory, a bog-standard *ISA* 256k VGA card and a floppy drive. (And the PSU!) Boot from DOS on the floppy, and you'll more often than not discover that the system responds., and the BIOS can be re-flashed. I did this myself not two weeks back with a "dead" Viglen Contender system.

Not exactly SPV related... but information that's worth sharing and remembering.

Guest HelloDave

Handy to know - i've got a few ISA display cards lying around! They were unbelievably slow in their day though - my old 486 couldn't even run videos full screen!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The one 486 i owned had one game on, not counting solitaire, it ran 3.1 and i didn't have clue how to use it.

Then i got hold of the "brand new" P75 (God they were fast) machine when i went to high school and look where i am now

aaaah memories....

I had a 386 (yeah i know, not even a 486) with something like 8Mb ram and an 80Mb hard drive (all inside a laptop i came accross) and i somehow managed to put win 3.1 onto it, attatched an external modem and installed internet explorer (an old old version) onto it, then with its mighty black and white screen I stormed onto the net (very slowly). Then I went back onto my AMD XP 1.8GHz, 256MB 2700DDR, 80GB hd, GeForce Ti4200 running @ 4600 and 10Mbit internet connection and sat content with myself.

A true story

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

That laptop was probably the first computer i remember having in the house back in 1990ish..., 386lappy, monochrome LCD screen running windows 3.

Oh the fun...

Guest PsychoDave

Man do you guys make me feel old or what :lol:

I had a 33Mnz 386 with 4mb and I thought I was cruisin the information super highway :)

4 Mb hard drive packed with dos 5.0 and wolfenstein.

And now I have a phone that could spank the behind off that PC..

Doncha just love reminising..............anyway.....;)

Guest bobroberts

yeah yeah yeah we're all 30 something and used 386's and thought they were cool. they weren't . speccy's or c64's were cooler. could do more and had more software...

maybe...

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

"Where do you _get_ ISA gfx cards heh?"

In may case, out of your "VGA cards" spares box. I've even got a couple of VLB SVGA cards in there! And a few 14,400Bps ISA modems in another box. Inveterate pack rat, that's me. You can pick them up for pennies at computer fairs too. People sneer at "old" stuff, and a vendor at a fair a couple of years back looked AMAZED when I bought eight semi-working ISA I/O cards for 25p each. "Why would anyone WANT them these days?" Simple. How much does a second printer port cost? Right - back then about £20. Change the jumpers around on an ISA I/O card, and you've switched of everything BUT the printer port, and it's configured as LPT2. To anyone with a parallel port scanner... the card's then worth about 20 times what I paid for it.

My first PC was an Amstrad PC1512. Mono-only CGA monitor, two 360k floppies, and 20megabyte hard drives an optional extra (at about £200) Came with DOS 3.1, Ability Office, and DR's "GEM" - a kind of precursor to Windows. Eventually, I upgraded to a Mitac 386 from Morgans - with a REAL "AT" case. (i.e. the size of a small suitcase. What were later called "AT cases" were originally called "baby AT cases." Came complete with a shoe-box-sized 80 meg MFM hard drive, and 16 meg of RAM. In its day, it really WAS the dog's bollocks.

Meh, my first Atari STFM could whoop all your pc's butts.. Damn hard drives for that thing were expensive :)

I think I still have my C64 somewhere actually.. .. Holy s***, my Atari 2600. I feel old and I'm not even 20 yet. Maybe I just turned nerd early..

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

Ahh, this thread brings back memories of my Sinclair Spectrum with 48K RAM as standard - I was the envy of my mate Andy with only 16K in his :) Then everyone got themselves C64's while a few diehards stuck with the Apple IIe (!)

I'm still using my good old Amiga 1200 (along with an old Korg master keyboard) for MIDI; PC's got nowt on the Amiga for music...SPV MIDI-processor addon, anyone?

Same here still got my A1200, you just can't beat it's chip technology for some things. Can't really say the same for our BBC Model B, we've kept that cause it has loads of the old classic games (50 or more, hence why it's never getting dumped :) ).

Yeah - I had an old BBC B, with it's 32kBytes of RAM and cassette deck for loading software....

Oh how I miss the screach and whine of that tape deck, along with the long (and frequently knackered) loading periods...

And as for typing in those games from the magazines, I just used to love having to wait for the following month's edition to tell you about the one line that was wrong, after you'd spent the previous three weeks double checking what you'd typed in :)

Hax

Guest kingbing

Yep. I typed in Codename Druid. I think it was a BASIC program that was actually some form of compiler, so on top of typing in a reasonable amount of BASIC, I typed in a *huge* amount of hex. Good game, though.

What makes ours special is that all the software is the old 5inch disks, which still work with the absolutley HUGE external disk drive.

It's all the classic games that make me keep it, you name it I think we have it, more so a collectors item now.