Rubbing Salt in the Wounds

Guest bobroberts

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.

Heh - in 1987 I remember going to Oxford County Hall to see their Pr1me 550 minicomputer while doing my Computer Studies BTEC, they showed us a f*****g great big noisy box, about 45" high by 2' across with a direct cooling outlet to the outside; "that's a 500MB Winchester drive" said the dude...crikey. Them were 't days...... :)

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Same here still got my A1200, you just can't beat it's chip technology for some things.  Can't really say the same for our BBC Model B, we've kept that cause it has loads of the old classic games (50 or more, hence why it's never getting dumped :) ).

Amiga's got 32-channel/16 voice per channel music as standard; sure I could spend a fortune on a fully featured PC soundcard but do we want a PC crashing on us in the middle of a track (or even worse, a gig)? No ta, we'll stick with the Amiga, it's never let us down once ;)

Talking of the BBC B, I found a PC-version of CHUCKIE EGG! Damn, that game was something else - and still a laugh to play it :lol:

http://www.gershwin.force9.co.uk/chuckie/

Guest Big Ron - No Longer a Mem

"Meh, my first Atari STFM could whoop all your pc's butts.. Damn hard drives for that thing were expensive"

You may recall a rather good mail-order PD library called "TSC, The Shareware Company". That was ME. I still have all 2,000 720k floppies; and I rather wish I didn't. Anyone out there who wants what was once the biggest collection of Atari PD & Shareware known to man is welcome to it. Just come and take them away!

ahh, the good old 720k floppies.. I remember saving and saving but never getting the 1.44 mb drive.. Keep the disks for a few more decades Big Ron - then sell em to a computer collecting fanatic for big bucks..

I thought the BBC micro was a fab computer for schools - then they transformed into Acorns which pissed me off.. Fond memories of typing in fuzzy lumpus on a BBC - smelly thing.. I also remember I did a version of streetfighter :) It had Ken and Ryu and fireballs and stuff. Was v proud of self.

Guest ivanmacx

Acorn Microcomputer. 512 bytes of ROM, a whopping 1024 bytes of RAM. 9 digit LED display. Hex keyboard. No disks - cassette recorder interface.

Those were the days. Programming in 6502 machine code. Goalposts for jumpers.

Games were a bit lame, though. Do I win the saddest old git contest?

:)

Guest vijay555

when i were a lad...

http://www.dotpoint.com/xnumber/pic_napier.htm

i remember being thrilled using our first zx81 (with go faster stripes!). My father spent the whole night tapping in some program that would draw a hot air balloon on the screen. At 3am we discovered he'd made an error, and the IDE wasn't great for "debugging", so off we went to bed, disappointed. And now it's only about 20 years later, and i can get my 2000+ XP to crash with notepad! Progress.

.vijay.

Guest casper508

Aaahh those good ol days !!

I still remember when I bought the C64 with the tape drive. Wasnt a year until i got the disk drive to go with it. Next in line was the IBM PC XT 8086 with 640k ram and a HUGE 10 Meg hard drive.

Someone mentioned 720k floppies. Well as most of you might know the only difference between a 720k and a 1.44Mb one was the hole in the left corner. So one day I decided to do this experiment and punched a hole on in a 720 kb, formatted it at 1.44 and it worked. Since that day I never bought 1.44's again :) as they were more than twice as expensive back in the day. Cheap..but effective :wink:

Cas

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
And now it's only about 20 years later, and i can get my 2000+ XP to crash with notepad! Progress.

LOL

Hereby nominated for "Best post of the week" :)

My first computer was an Intel Pentium 4 2.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB 7200RPM IBM Hard Drive, ATI Radeon 9700Pro, Audigy 2, 17" LCD, Firewire, USB 2, the works! Welcome to a new generation of technology!

My first own personal machine is an Apple PowerBook G4 12" and I just got that about a week ago! I was really excited about it and all...867MHz G4 Processor, 256MB DDR SDRAM, 4GB Hard Drive, 12.1" LCD TFT Screen (absolutely superb quality!), Geforce 420 Go, Firewire, USB, Video Out, Bluetooth ready. A real nice piece of kit if I may say so myself.

A bit off topic....but considering everyone else is talking about it...

Spike,

First PC: 166MHz, 16mb, 2gb WD HD - 29th March 1997 it was bought. Pretty expensive too, £1699 + £500 insurance. The insurance paid for my new AMD 1500, though - £724 exc VAT (claimed VAT back).

That said, I do have a BBC lying in the wardrobe, along with a couple of 12" screens...

That IBM HDD will come back to sting you sometime soon....

I think IBM are one if not the best hard drive manufacturers. I used to have a 40GB IBM Hard Drive and that lasted me for about 3 years so far and I'm still using it today.

Of course if anything does bugger up all of my important data will be safely stored on an online server and on CD.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I had the same feelings, and ignored all the scare stories about 60GXP's blowing up. However a little under a year after i bought it it did blow up :/, "luckily" i only lost a little under a month of data....

Not really a fan of 'other people's opinons' when it comes to buying decisions although they can be a first port of call when buying something entirely brand new that I've never used before or if I've got no clue about it...I tend to buy it, try it, if I don't like it, return it! Simple as that really...and so far I've not had any problems. So, I think I'll go on ahead and ignore all those scare stories about 60GXP's blowing up because surely now that they're on the 180GXP's they MAY just of fixed those sort of problems. And like I said, I've been using IBM for over a year now...no problems, does its job, VERY quietly and VERY quickly and not lost any data. I think my Sisters IBM Aptiva has been around for nearly 5 years now...still going strong.

Spike.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

xanadu: I thought exactly the same, my 120GXP replacement i was sent is nothing like as quiet (or fast imho). Still, for obvious reasons if i had a choice from now on i won't be buying IBM (branded at least) hard drives.

Seagate 'cuda V's are the way to go now imho :) (spikex: you can ignore this post if you like ;))

I don't ignore posts like that I just dont think they're the best source for basing your buying decisions. I'm sure you wouldn't go out and buy some fancy and expensive piece of 'anything to be honest' just because your mate says its good. You have to do your homework especially when its something quite expensive or something that is going to hold such valuable data such as a hard drive.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Of course, and thats what i did when i looked for my 60GXP, despite all the negative stuff i'd heard about it i still went and bought it based on the specs and price etc. I doubt i'd ever buy anything just because "my mate on the internet said it was good" either :)

Hell, my first proper machine was an Apricot Xen-XI, a 286 with 2 meg I think of memory, a Hercules graphics card and a 20MB hard drive. Oh, and a 5 1/2 floppy drive.

And plugged into it was a V23 modem... those were the days... :)