SPV, Tanager, Intel Electra, Nokia 3650, compare them!

Guest The unexpected guest !

Guest awarner [MVP]

Flip phones, flip phones, flip phones :mrgreen:

I don't like them either but I have to say it was nice for a

FLIP PHONE ;)

shame about the ariel :)

Guest Brody

For us less educated people :shock: why can we not get our hands on the i600 or why may we not be able to in the future, it looks lovely :)

EDIT: Wow, my first box, i'm so proud ;)

Guest superkingdave

gonna have to say the nokia... because it has so many uses

1. scare little children

2. use as offensive weapon to deter would be muggers

3. decoy.. if no 2 doesnt work they can steal the nokia instead of your real phone

4. surf board for field mice

5. it probably makes a good artificial coral for the fish pond

Guest westy1507

Gotta be honest, i think the 3650 absolutely wipes the floor with the SPV in a large way. Here's why i bought one after selling my SPV and reasons why, (though i shouldn't have to explain myself)

1) Better operating system. Yes that's right. The SPV just never seemed like it was working properly every time i used it. My friend commented on this as his does it too and the momentary freezes just did my nut! The 3650 is an absolute doddle to use!No crashes, quick as lightning, feels good and not clunky and top heavy.

2)Build quality. I was always afraid to take the SPV out! Seriously, it just felt too fragile and indeed my mate James' handset duly cracked after a fall on the pavement whilst out. My 3650 has already had it's first fall and survived without a hitch. Sory, but the SPV just felt a little delicate. Disagree, it's just my opinion.

3)THAT keypad! Have any of you actually used one of these?? It took me all of one hour to get used to the keypad layout and that was it. the SPV's buttons were horrendous beyond all rational thought. Ok it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but christ they could have made them bigger, (obviously the Tanager solves this - but that's another phone!)

4)Ringtones. Were it not for the SPV's ability to play WAV files, people would laugh at you as your flash looking handset produces ringtones from the dark ages. Why they didn't include poly ringers i don't know :?: :?:

the 3650's 40 channel polyphonic ringer is just fantastic. Period. Nokia are perhaps the only manufacturer who put some thought into the tunes on the phone, with decent stuff that isn't embarrassing! Also, chuck a USB lead in, and copy as many WAV files as you want to the 3650's ,(changeable), MMC card to your hearts content. Make sounds for alerts, or whatever. And you don't have to fiddle with registry settings to do it either.

5)Camera. The SPV took great photo's, i'll conclude that - but christ i never wanted to take any cause the interface for the camera was appalling. The 3650 has a super smooth view finder and a night function so clubbing becomes more fun :wink:

6)Battery. Simple, the SPV manages about a day and a half, the 3650 has been happily going for 3 and still going. The End.

Who cares? I don't know, but for me, Nokia are still king in this over populated mobile world. The SPV is a fab handset, but fatally flawed and with too many niggles to make it a pleasure to own in the long run. I can live without the DIVx and all that cause the novelty wears off and games wise i just don't see why people get so worked up over mobile games? Some are good, yes, but they're just quick blasts and i don't use them myself.

Bring on the flames... ;)

Westy

Guest spacecowboy6982
Gotta be honest, i think the 3650 absolutely wipes the floor with the SPV.

:shock:

Soembody pull me off the ground - I've been laughing for well over an hour now !!!

Space Cowboy

Guest superkingdave

even if the nokia was even one percent as good as the spv which it isnt, i fail to see how people could own one given that whenever they take it out they are looking at the mobile phone equivalent of a fiat multipla

Guest dinoalbert

the design is indeed nice...looks like a multi-tester. LOL.

common just let the guy (or the kid) play with the toy.

by the way, just wondering why are you here at the modaco forum instead of some Nokia forum? probably downloading skins/themes/music files to customize your Nokia?

hehe peace bro....

Guest awarner [MVP]
Gotta be honest, i think the 3650 absolutely wipes the floor with the SPV in a large way. Here's why i bought one after selling my SPV and reasons why, (though i shouldn't have to explain myself)
Just saying it's better without an explanation is just stupid I could say my

cars better than yours but without giving a reason it's a pointless statement

1) Better operating system. Yes that's right. The SPV just never seemed like it was working properly every time i used it. My friend commented on this as his does it too and the momentary freezes just did my nut! The 3650 is an absolute doddle to use!No crashes, quick as lightning, feels good and not clunky and top heavy.

Better operating system??? ;) now that's funny, every one I know

who uses symbian os (including all southern water engineers I know) say it's

the worst thing they have encountered on a phone.

2)Build quality. I was always afraid to take the SPV out! Seriously, it just felt too fragile and indeed my mate James' handset duly cracked after a fall on the pavement whilst out. My 3650 has already had it's first fall and survived without a hitch. Sory, but the SPV just felt a little delicate. Disagree, it's just my opinion.
Agree on that one, but then again it not really ment to be dropped :)

3)THAT keypad! Have any of you actually used one of these?? It took me all of one hour to get used to the keypad layout and that was it. the SPV's buttons were horrendous beyond all rational thought. Ok it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but christ they could have made them bigger, (obviously the Tanager solves this - but that's another phone!)

Took me all of one hour to get used to the SPV keypad so what's the point?

4)Ringtones. Were it not for the SPV's ability to play WAV files, people would laugh at you as your flash looking handset produces ringtones from the dark ages. Why they didn't include poly ringers i don't know  :?:  :?:  

the 3650's 40 channel polyphonic ringer is just fantastic. Period. Nokia are perhaps the only manufacturer who put some thought into the tunes on the phone, with decent stuff that isn't embarrassing! Also, chuck a USB lead in, and copy as many WAV files as you want to the 3650's ,(changeable), MMC card to your hearts content. Make sounds for alerts, or whatever. And you don't have to fiddle with registry settings to do it either.

polly ringers?? hmmm let me think try and copysimulate a tune or play it the way it's ment to sound???? ohh got me on that one :roll:

5)Camera. The SPV took great photo's, i'll conclude that - but christ i never wanted to take any cause the interface for the camera was appalling. The 3650 has a super smooth view finder and a night function so clubbing becomes more fun :wink:

Fair comment agree on that one as well

6)Battery. Simple, the SPV manages about a day and a half, the 3650 has been happily going for 3 and still going. The End.
Chalk and cheese different specs etc but yes the battery life is not the best but then again my laptop only lasts three hours should I change that for a nokia as well?

Who cares? I don't know, but for me, Nokia are still king in this over populated mobile world. The SPV is a fab handset, but fatally flawed and with too many niggles to make it a pleasure to own in the long run. I can live without the DIVx and all that cause the novelty wears off and games wise i just don't see why people get so worked up over mobile games? Some are good, yes, but they're just quick blasts and i don't use them myself.

Bring on the flames... :D  

Westy

If you have sold your phone then why are you still here?? or are you

guilty that you may have made a mistake and bought a nokia toy phone?

but if you're not after games movies etc why not just get a basic phone and a cheap digi camera?

Guest mashkhan
When the SPV was first released this could be considered valid, Although now with all the updates/tweaks etc I think it's alot better.

)Build quality. I was always afraid to take the SPV out! Seriously, it just felt too fragile and indeed my mate James' handset duly cracked after a fall on the pavement whilst out. My 3650 has already had it's first fall and survived without a hitch. Sory, but the SPV just felt a little delicate. Disagree, it's just my opinion.  

Agreed, the build quality could be better. Not so much in terms of delicacy. I think the SPV is quite robust. My main gripe is the dust under the screen. It really is irritating. Mind you, I don't think there are many handsets out there that would survive drops on the pavement.

)THAT keypad! Have any of you actually used one of these?? It took me all of one hour to get used to the keypad layout and that was it. the SPV's buttons were horrendous beyond all rational thought. Ok it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but christ they could have made them bigger, (obviously the Tanager solves this - but that's another phone!)
It's subjective, I personally can't stand the 3650's layout.

4)Ringtones. Were it not for the SPV's ability to play WAV files, people would laugh at you as your flash looking handset produces ringtones from the dark ages. Why they didn't include poly ringers i don't know    

Ringtones aren't really my thing, why would anyone want to listen to polyphonic ringtones anyway? If I want to listen to tunes, I'll listen to my MP3 player.

)Camera. The SPV took great photo's, i'll conclude that - but christ i never wanted to take any cause the interface for the camera was appalling. The 3650 has a super smooth view finder and a night function so clubbing becomes more fun  
Agreed, the SPV camera is crap. But I don't remember the SPV being marketed as a "camera" phone.

Couldn't you have the same amount of fun with a small digital camera?

It all depends on what you "do" with your phone doesn't it? If all it does is sit in your pocket waiting for calls then your battery is going to last a long time.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I for one could not go back to Nokia, to me there phones are overpriced and underpowered.

Guest ClintEastman
(including all southern water engineers I know)

Is that slang? ;)

Each to there own i say.... (i hate that nokia myself) :wink:

Guest westy1507
Took me all of one hour to get used to the SPV keypad so what's the point?  
the point is that people seem so hell bent on complaining about the 3650 keypad when there's actually nowt wrong with it. ;)

polly ringers?? hmmm let me think try and copy a tune or play it the way it's ment to sound???? ohh got me on that one  

My point was that Nokia seem the only ones who do poly ringers that actually sound half decent. The fact the 3650 can play real music as a ringtone from the MMC card is a bomus just as it is on the SPV.

Chalk and cheese different specs etc but yes the battery life is not the best but then again my laptop only lasts three hours should I change that for a nokia as well?  
Yeah but you'd expect a laptop to last 3 hours cause of it's size and what it does. The SPV is a phone and i really thought the battery would last a little longer than that.

If you have sold your phone then why are you still here?? or are you  

guilty that you may have made a mistake and bought a nokia toy phone?

Because i can appreciate a good forum and site when i see one. Plus my housemate has one and uses the site. To call the Nokia a 'toy' phone is a little daft isn't it. The only thing it doesn't do for me that the SPV did, is play movie trailers, MP3 files and connect to the web. Hardly constitutes it as a toy does it? Why get so worked up anyway? Did i say in my post the SPV was crap? No! To quote myself;

The SPV is a fab handset, but fatally flawed and with too many niggles to make it a pleasure to own in the long run

The Nokia has its faults like any other mobile or electronic device on this planet, but it certainly does not make it a toy or a bad phone in the slightest.

Westy

Guest awarner [MVP]

Is that slang? ;)

Sorry I sould have said Scottish Power as they now own Southern Water

A have some friends who work for said company and all engineers have been issued with nokia symbian phones. So I'm going by what they tell me plus their fellow workers and the other friends that I have who have also used the symbian os

Guest awarner [MVP]

The 3650 is sold as a gimmick phone (impressions taken from the adverts on TV)

so calling it a "toy" I feel is justified, unless nokia change the way the phone's advertised

that vieew will not change.

I did not complain about the 3650, the only thing I do not like is the look of it, but like I

said chalk and cheese two different phones for different markets.

Guest westy1507

Wholeheartedly agree fella.

However it just frustrates me that some people can be short sighted when it comes to an opinion on a new product, some of these people have probably never used one in all fairness, though i would imagine some have!

The problem with all this new technology is that it's always replaced too quickly, just look at the Home Cinema market - it's highly frustrating for first time buyers as their equipment is superceded within months! Sadly the mobile market is going the same way.

In a way, i wish i'd kept my trusty Nokia 6310i - fantastic handset i must admit. Did everything i needed it to, which is what a phone is all about if you must have one.

You're right on the advertising front though, what the hell is going on there!??

Guest westy1507

Burned? Never, it's only a phone! Takes a lot to upset a moderator see, (DVD reviewer).

If i want to watch a movie or listen to music, i'll watch a DVD or listen to a CD. I didn't spend almost £6k on a home entertainment set up to watch a movie on a phone with a screen smaller than my hand. One day it will catch on, but for now - too limited for my liking.

Westy