Photo

[TIP] Australian 3G Dropouts - Oh the Humanity!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Tried almost all the bands with a TPG (Optus) sim. Unfortunately, nothing works. :(

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:g300
re optus: ive tried 900mhz and 2ghz but to no avail - finds networks on both -2g and 3g respectively - doesnt stop the dropouts without 2g only setting

bogomips

bogomips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300 U8815-51
Thanks for reporting your findings Faelon and ryuhou69 - are you using both DFS or QPST to configure the preferred network bands?
The reason I ask is, there was a checkbox in QPST I noticed which said IMT2100 :

Posted Image

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Thanks for reporting your findings Faelon and ryuhou69 - are you using both DFS or QPST to configure the preferred network bands?
The reason I ask is, there was a checkbox in QPST I noticed which said IMT2100 :

I haven't tried QPST yet.

muniix

muniix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Twitter:@munixx
Hi, I think I may try getting my G300 working on 3G tonight. I have yet to use QPST. The need to do a factory reset after each IMEI load made it annoying. I have upgraded my CWM and made a backup. Hopefully a restore from backup will rectify this.

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Posted Image

In QPST I don't see any UMTS or any other menu to change the frequency bands. Please help me..

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
id imagine imt2100 and bc10 combined are the go for optus?

bogomips

bogomips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted Image

In QPST I don't see any UMTS or any other menu to change the frequency bands. Please help me..

Hmm that's weird. What version of QPST are you using? I'm on 2.7 build 378, but I think it's a few years old. :)

id imagine imt2100 and bc10 combined are the go for optus?

That's what I'd try - had to lookup what BC10 stood for! (band class 10 - this page has an entry in the table for frequencies which lists the bandclass and their frequencies)

Hi, I think I may try getting my G300 working on 3G tonight. I have yet to use QPST. The need to do a factory reset after each IMEI load made it annoying. I have upgraded my CWM and made a backup. Hopefully a restore from backup will rectify this.

Good luck muniix - hope you have some success after all that hard work! :)

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hmm that's weird. What version of QPST are you using? I'm on 2.7 build 378, but I think it's a few years old. :)

Hmmm, I was using an older build that didn't have UMTS menu. Anyway, I have downloaded build 378 however, I am having a readonly problem... Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Posted Image

muniix

muniix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Didn't succeed last night having another go now, i'm also getting that NV IMEI error on write, but ticked to ignore it. I believe it is to do with writing the IMIE so
should be ok to ignore it.

QPST seems to be working ok with my imei installed, well when i get the setup wrong and write it,
phone reboots and i can't scan any networks. Set it back to something that should work with GSM and all good, set WCDMA only
and i only see 3G networks on a network scan. This saves me having to do a factory reset all the time.

The channels i have selected at the moment are BC-1, BC-8, E-GSM900, IMT-2100.

http://en.wikipedia....frequency_bands

Shows the IMT-2000 band channels used in Australia are bc-1 and bc8 for 2100 and 900 respectively. Channel 10 is 1700Mhz.
E-GSM 900 appears to be Edge GSM which is how i'm connected right now.

It's the other boxes I am not 100% sure about.
preferred mode: Automatic
preferred acquisition order: WCDMA, GSM
preferred network selection order: Manual
preferred service domain: Any

I do get to see all the 2g and 3g networks thou.

Still not much luck thou.

bogomips

bogomips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hmmm, I was using an older build that didn't have UMTS menu. Anyway, I have downloaded build 378 however, I am having a readonly problem... Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Posted Image

I sounds like QPST could not write your IMEI back to NVRAM on the phone. I've never got that message before - did you write the zeroed out IMEI to your phone before using QPST? Has your phone been unlocked? The other changes should be saved even if you get this message.

bogomips

bogomips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Didn't succeed last night having another go now, i'm also getting that NV IMEI error on write, but ticked to ignore it. I believe it is to do with writing the IMIE so should be ok to ignore it.

There's a setting in the BackgroundSetting menu on the phone named:
3. OTP NV filter switch.
I have no idea what it does, but pressing it "opens" the NV filter switch or "closes" it. Perhaps it has something to do with being able to write to NVRAM. Does anyone know what OTP stands for? I was thinking One-Time Password. :stab-in-the-dark:

QPST seems to be working ok with my imei installed, well when i get the setup wrong and write it,
phone reboots and i can't scan any networks. Set it back to something that should work with GSM and all good, set WCDMA only
and i only see 3G networks on a network scan. This saves me having to do a factory reset all the time.

The channels i have selected at the moment are BC-1, BC-8, E-GSM900, IMT-2100.

http://en.wikipedia....frequency_bands

Shows the IMT-2000 band channels used in Australia are bc-1 and bc8 for 2100 and 900 respectively. Channel 10 is 1700Mhz.
E-GSM 900 appears to be Edge GSM which is how i'm connected right now.

Sounds like you've covered all the major food groups. Didn't realize BC10 was 1700Mhz - thanks. I'm not sure what the difference between BC1 and IMT2100 is - they seem to cover roughly the same frequency.

It's the other boxes I am not 100% sure about.
preferred mode: Automatic
preferred acquisition order: WCDMA, GSM
preferred network selection order: Manual
preferred service domain: Any

I do get to see all the 2g and 3g networks thou.

Looks fine to me - as long as you have acquisition order as WCDMA, GSM, that should do the trick. (assuming the other settings are right too)

Still not much luck thou.

Bugger. I can recall getting Edge working just before 3G started to work - but that was on Voda. :(
Maybe try disabling either IMT2100 or BC1. Running out of options unfortunately. :/

muniix

muniix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I was just thinking the same with the imt-2100 and bc-1 myself, I'll try disabling imt-2100 first then the
other way around. I'll check through the background menu on the NV filter again.

I did notice that when i left the zero'd imei running for a week, my bill didn't go down and made a dozen or so calls
at least.

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I have tried differenct combinations of BC-1, BC-8, E-GSM 900, and IMT 2100. Unfortunately nothing worked...

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
so were screwed? =\
do you guys think will the upcoming ics update from voda will fix ours problems with optus?

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I have done a lot of tweaking. Using the following setup I have a stable connection to YES OPTUS 3G network without selecting "Use only 2G networks" but still I am not getting any 3G/H connection. I am still getting a GPRS/EDGE connection.

Posted Image

I have learnt my lesson. In future I will think twice before buying a cheap brand.

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
thanks for your efforts champ - not using 2g only is interesting
hows your area in terms of 3g/H coverage

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

thanks for your efforts champ - not using 2g only is interesting
hows your area in terms of 3g/H coverage

With the same SIM and a 3G modem I get a fairly strong 3G connection.

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Shiettt....

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Optus uses gsm 900 gsm 1800
W-cmda 900 and imt2000/2100
I believe pcs is unrelated for us
From your settings above only other relevant ones are W850 and BC6 (imt2000)?
Just an educated guess from alot of googling re what the different acronyms mean...
I think you're very close

Edited by ryuhou69, 16 December 2012 - 03:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users