Photo

[TIP] Australian 3G Dropouts - Oh the Humanity!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

muniix

muniix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
  • Twitter:@munixx
Hi faelon, You have selected the wrong bands from what I can see of your screen dump.

you shouldn't have gsm-1800, gsm-850, gsm-pcs this will confuse it and force 2G selection as you have selected 2g for the frequencies
where 3g is operating.

It is nothing to do with a cheap mobile, it is pilot error in our case, we went ahead and did some risky things on a phone that
has really adequate specs and a great developer community. the fact that we can get good high quality support for free from
the community proves this is a good device, it is always voted the best bang for the buck phone around. When setup properly
it runs really well on jellybean at 1.23Ghz. The G330 is now available dual-core, dual-sim but think it may not have a compass, just
hope some one gives dazoz a g330 to work on.

Just dropped my phone and cracked the damn screen. Well accidentally threw it when some hot ash landed on the screen, slipped out
of my hand. Still works fine but lots of cracks on the gorilla glass, if i had known it was just the gorilla glass and not the touch sensor
i wouldn't have been so concerned with the ash landing on the screen.

Who knows were to get the glass repaired from now?

Faelon

Faelon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Hi faelon, You have selected the wrong bands from what I can see of your screen dump.

you shouldn't have gsm-1800, gsm-850, gsm-pcs this will confuse it and force 2G selection as you have selected 2g for the frequencies
where 3g is operating.

It is nothing to do with a cheap mobile, it is pilot error in our case, we went ahead and did some risky things on a phone that
has really adequate specs and a great developer community. the fact that we can get good high quality support for free from
the community proves this is a good device, it is always voted the best bang for the buck phone around. When setup properly
it runs really well on jellybean at 1.23Ghz. The G330 is now available dual-core, dual-sim but think it may not have a compass, just
hope some one gives dazoz a g330 to work on.

Just dropped my phone and cracked the damn screen. Well accidentally threw it when some hot ash landed on the screen, slipped out
of my hand. Still works fine but lots of cracks on the gorilla glass, if i had known it was just the gorilla glass and not the touch sensor
i wouldn't have been so concerned with the ash landing on the screen.

Who knows were to get the glass repaired from now?

Hi muniix,

These are the bands that allow a stable connection to YES OPTUS 3G network. If I deselect one of them or add one more then I can't connect to YES OPTUS 3G. :)

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:g300
Tried a million variations no go
Going to try and downgrade from 2030 see if that helps mayb this baseband doesn't like imt2100 - *downgraded but to no avail
*got bored tried my telstra sim couldnt connect to next g (850mhz) =\

Edited by ryuhou69, 19 December 2012 - 07:08 AM.

ryuhou69

ryuhou69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thanks bogomips

I followed your guide and got the H symbol straight away on reboot (Vodafone AUS). One day of use and no 3G dropouts. I didn't downgrade to GB I used C00B934 from the Huawei site. Also ticked NAM lock and closed the qualcomm background setting. I had trouble getting DFS to work (doesn't on Windows 8) but after switching to XP everything went exactly as per the guide. Hopefully someone will post the Vodafone AUS ICS update when it is released. Great work!

MrLem

MrLem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd drop a line here for any Telstra users that had suffered the same fate. I had great success following bogomip's guide (thank you so, so very much!) however when it came to preferred mode I selected 'WCDMA_HSDPA' rather than than the 'GSM_WCDMA' as suggested since this didn't seem to work for me.

Also for those thinking of trying this with Cyanogenmod 9 (or probably later) it doesn't appear to be possible to access the second testing menu with *#*#2846579#*#* so I don't think it's possible to run with 3G unfortunately.

Lastly, I got stuck in a boot loop after changing my settings through DFS but I still had the B944 firmware on my SD card so I just reflashed and everything came good.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

MrLem

halcy0n

halcy0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd drop a line here for any Telstra users that had suffered the same fate. I

Awesome, thanks. I followed the same guide and it also worked for me, 3G data and no dropouts.

Now downloading c00b952 - I'm hoping this will also work as well as 934?

halcy0n

halcy0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
This also works on c00b952 for Telstra :)

stryker_au

stryker_au

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend g300
Hey guys, I can confirm the above also works for Vodafone AU on C00B952

giodc

giodc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, i bought this phone about a month ago and got it unlocked after a week for free through vodafone website.
Still, the phone was freezing up to 4 times in a day requiring me to remove the battery and restart it.
So as soon as i found B952 on huawei site i downloaded it and it installed beautifully. Shame is it changed baseband to 2030 and, as you know already, that makes the phone quite incompatible with AUS 3G networks. I have yet to try the complete procedure because i am on lycamobile and its low quality network (telstra 2g anyway) and i don't have a broadband connection for now. Huawei SHOULD release a rom for us aussies, that would not take them much to do.

giodc

giodc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I still can't revert back to GB or even B936. Huawei is so slow in releasing a ICS version for Oz and i am stuck with edge connectivity.

halcy0n

halcy0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I still can't revert back to GB or even B936. Huawei is so slow in releasing a ICS version for Oz and i am stuck with edge connectivity.

If you follow the steps in this post from Backing up your IMEI using Toolbox 5irom down it should work on the c00b952 rom.

Note it has to be the c00b952 rom, not any other variant of b952.

Also if your on lycamobile and using 2g, I'm not sure what you'll gain by enbabling the 850mhz band.

giodc

giodc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm on lycamobile now but its edge connectivity is even slower that the others so i will be switching to woolworths which will give me 5GB per month.
I backed up my imei, though, once for all.
Do i have to revert back to GB to change the frequencies?
If i dial *#*#4636#*#* i can see there is an option to change the radio bands but it's grey, is there any change to have access to it? I am on Win 7, anyway and my rom is the stock one from huawei site.
I tried yesterday but after zeroing my imei i had to wipe the data off and that was bothering me a lot. CWM showed up mentioning some error in E:\ and won't boot.
Also, when i was in DFS out of the three icons at the bottom of the window the last one (EQF) was yellow. Any idea?

Edited by giodc, 22 January 2013 - 06:16 AM.

giodc

giodc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I did it, i am on B952 with baseband 2030 and i am connected to Optus (Savvytel) in Hsdpa.
I didn't even change anything in DFS, might have been the change i did in phone information while the imei was zeroed.
Any explanation?

halcy0n

halcy0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

I did it, i am on B952 with baseband 2030 and i am connected to Optus (Savvytel) in Hsdpa.
I didn't even change anything in DFS, might have been the change i did in phone information while the imei was zeroed.
Any explanation?

Awesome, no idea why it works.

Optus uses 900mhz for 3g so you must have installed a b952 rom that has that frequency enabled by default. What link did you use to download the rom?

giodc

giodc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Awesome, no idea why it works.

Optus uses 900mhz for 3g so you must have installed a b952 rom that has that frequency enabled by default. What link did you use to download the rom?

I took the rom from Huawei website.
http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDcwMjk=
I think it was something i changed when the imei was zero, if you go to phone information and have a look it says GSM only. Maybe i set it to wcdma and then, when i restarted it, i got the H sign straightaway.
Try...

Edited by giodc, 22 January 2013 - 12:26 PM.

halcy0n

halcy0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Looks like you downloaded c00b952, and managed to get it working.

Would be good if you could reproduce the steps for others on Optus.

muniix

muniix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Twitter:@munixx
Hi, I am downloading it now and will try the B952GA rom on my G300 later today in the next few hours.

After I do a nandroid backup and a CWM backup to be sure. Backuped up my Sleep as Android data, and
my nova launcher data to my ext sdcard.

I'll report back how it goes, Having trouble downloading it from a 2008r2 system that using hp igel thin clients atm.

My laptop got stolen last Saterday and had it setup so well, with Opensuse 12.2 and KDE4.9.5 with the workflow plasmoid,
panels setup great, with activities for mail&chrome(canary), DevOps, WebDev (nodejs/cloud9 ide), ... was just a bout do a
full backup.

giodc

giodc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, to be honest i don't feel like doing that again, i might screw it up and be back at square one.
What i think i did was zeroing the imei, rebooting, dialling *#*#4636#*#* and selecting "phone information". You should "set preferred network type" set on GSM only. You should turn radio off and change it to WCDMA preferred. Reboot, then restore imei and it should work. Let me know :)

halcy0n

halcy0n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Haha, mine works. I'll try it after the next update.

giodc

giodc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Haha, mine works. I'll try it after the next update.

What are you onto? You must have WCDMA set as preferred then, for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users