Jiayu G3 rooted / permanent recovery / ICS spell check fixed & Jelly Bean Update.

Guest putbinoot

Guest putbinoot

Rooted phone using Bin4ry but when entering recover Mr Android's on his back with a red exclamation mark and pushing home does nothing. Tried flashing image using smart phone flashing tool but nothing happened, tried putting the recovery.img file into a zip file and flashing using phone it found file started to do something then Mr Android was on his arse again and that was that. What recovery image has someone got on their G3 and how did you get it on, can't seem to get phone into fastboot, is fastboot normally power + volume up. Any ideas because I am out.

UPDATE 1

Good and bad news, installed Mobileuncle MTK and found a CWM 5..5.0.4 and in stalled using Mobileuncle but it was a bit flakey, I could boot into cwm and use it once but then if I tried to go into cwm again it would fail and i would have to install again using mobileuncle and use which is not great. I have just installed LEWA recovery from the Lewa rom and it seems to be doing the same thing so not sure if something is wrong with my phone.

UPDATE 2

Have just discovered that Mobileuncle is very smart bit of kit and my phone is ok. When you use mobileuncle to flash a recovery.img it put's it into the cache so you can use it but it does not over right the original recovery.img once you reboot it is gone, hence my statement above. Also lewa recovery is a nice bit of kit all done by touch screen inputs.

Lewa rom is supposed to be nice as well which I may try out.

Will update with any thing else i learn.

UPDATE 3

Have now managed to flash CWM 5.5.0.4 onto the phone using sp Flash Tool so now have a permanent recovery program although not the oem I was wanting.

UPDATE 4

The joy of update 3 was short lived, It took me two attempts with sp flash to get cwm on the phone but on second attempt I shutdown phone and when i hit power + volume up cwm was there and I was overjoyed. However on trying to get back into recovery android is on his arse again so either sp flash also puts any recovery into the cache like Mobileuncle or something is wrong with the area om my phone that the recovery image sits in or I could be being a complete arse and missing something obvious like te noob that I am.

UPDATE 5

​I have officially gave up trying to get permanent recovery and i read that i am not alone in having this bug not sure if i have a fault in the partition layout but I am not wasting anymore time on it. The phone is good enough straight out the box.

UPDATE 6

The good news is here, updated to newest release which worked fine as recovery was still fecked so I could use the Jiayu release without any mods to it and it seems ok for now. Had to re root using Bin4ry script and that went well and also today discovered an explanation of why recovery install was failing so all I had to do after root was mount system as writable and edit the following file in /system/boot-from-recovery.p changed to system/boot-from-recovery.p.bak just renaming the file so the system could not wright to it and installed cwm 5.5.0.4 using mobileuncle and it's working as it should appearing at every attempt. Also fixed ics spell check problem with red lines under text. Will do a text wright up in another post of instructions to make it easier .

How to Everything

credits to

Bin4ry, http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1886460

bernaerts, http://bernaerts.dyn...ry-boot-failure

davepwsmith.http://www.modaco.co...spellcheck-fix/

all files you need. http://db.tt/TNtTNuu4

rooting

Turn on usb debugging on your phone.

1 install PDAnet select "other" for phone type/make then it will install so far than ask about connecting phone, plug it in to the pc and PDAnet will finish installing itself and the drivers.

2 copy Bin4ry v17 root folder to root of pc C:\ drive just makes less typing later.

3 go to start then in search box type cmd hit enter and a cmd box will appear. saying something like c:\User\your user name here> anyway this is what you do. If it's not that it does not matter cd \ will get you to c:\>

red text is you typing.

c:\User\your user name here>cd \ "hit enter"

c:\>cd bin4ry v17 root "hit enter"

c:\bin4ry v17 root>adb \stuff "hit enter" and a lot of text will scroll past which means you are in the right directory.

c:\bin4ry v17 root>adb devices "hit enter" daemon will start and numbers and letters will appear with the word "device" at the end. If that happens we are good to go.

c:\bin4ry v17 root>runme "hit enter" writing turns green.

c:\bin4ry v17 root>1 "hit enter" a screen will appear on phone select restore my data no password needed. Leave phone it will reboot twice i think it is and that's you done.

nandroid backup and temp cwm install.

turn of usb debugging and connect phone to pc select turn on usb storage and

put the recovery_cwm5.5.0.4_ENG.img on the root of your sdcard.Disconnect phone from pc.

install root check from play store and run it grant it super user

and test for root and it should say you are rooted.

install mobileuncle MTK tools from the play store and run it and

grant it super user. 4th option down (recovery update) select that

recovery_cwm5.5.0.4_ENG.img that you put in the sdcard should be the first thing thats listed.

select it and ok and ok to boot to recovery.

you should now boot to cwm recovery if android is on arse just do the recovery update

again with mobileuncle.

once we are in recovery it's volume up and down to move and power to select.

come down to backup and restore press power.

then press power again as backup is first in the list and already selected.

once backup is complete reboot system should now be selected push power button

and phone will restart.

connect phone to pc select turn on usb storage then navigate the phone through

windows explorer to find sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/and this should be a folder

where the name is the date and time the backup was made. copy this folder to your pc

for safe keeping. this backup is everything, system stuff and your data.

official update install

connect phone to pc and copy to the root of your sdcard the update.zip folder that was inside the G3_20121129 082828 folder you downloaded. Disconnect phone.

In the app drawer of the phone is an app called update system run that and it should install the update.

permanent cwm install.

Install es file explorer from the play store run it and go into it's settings, in file settings select show hidden files the press back key scroll to bottom

select root settings then select root explorer (grant super user) and also check mount file system now back key and again so we are at /sdcard/

select up from the bar at the top and we should now be at / look for a folder "system" press it so we are now /system/ in here is a file called "boot-from-recovery.p"

long press on it select rename go to end and add.bak so it now looks like boot-from-recovery.p.bak and ok it, and it should say name change successful.

go back into es file explorer settings in the "root settings" and un tick mount file system. then hit home key so your are back at the phone desktop.

run mobileuncle again select 4th option down (recovery update) select that

recovery_cwm5.5.0.4_ENG.img that you put in the sdcard should be the first thing thats listed.

select it and ok and this time cancel boot to recovery just shut mobileuncle down and come back to phone desktop.

shutdown phone then once it has vibrated to indicate it's fully shut down press volume up and power and boot into recovery.

once we are in recovery it's volume up and down to move and power to select.

come down to backup and restore press power.

then press power again as backup is first in the list and already selected.

once backup is complete reboot system should now be selected push power button

and phone will restart. Now we have a backup of the phone with the update on it and also what should be a permanent cwm recovery image. Again copy this to your pc.

to test your cwm is permanent shutdown the phone again and try to get back into recovery which if all has gone well should be no problem, then just select reboot system to restart phone again.

ICS spellcheck fix. ie red lines under text on android keyboard.

copy the two LatinIme files to the root of your sdcard.

start es file explorer and mount file system again in the settings then navigate to/system/app and look for the file LatinIME.apk long press on it and rename LatinIME.apk.bak

navigate to /sdcard/ look for the two files you put there and in turn long press on each and select move to and then navigate to /system/app and ok it. go into es file explorer settings and un check the mount file system and exit es file explorer.

select your text app or something that will need the keyboard and at first start the voice dictation will come up just select back key then try to write again and the keyboard should come up and when you test the red lines should be gone from under the text.

JellyBean Official Update How To

This update is prerooted.

First download the following files.

Jellybean. http://pan.baidu.com...00&uk=839171988

Tools and drivers. http://pan.baidu.com...11&uk=839171988

1 - Unzip the main folders of each download also once you unzip the tools folder also unzip the spflash tool zip as well.

2 - Turn phone of and pull battery out.

3 - Open device manager on your pc.

4 - Plug phone in and a preloader with exclamation mark will appear in device manager, right click on it and update driver, select browse and navigate to the folder USB VCOM Driver and ok it. Certificate warning appears just click install.

5 - Unplug phone and put battery back in.

6 - Run spflash tool click load scatter file and navigate to the scatter file in the G3-20130116-221844 folder and click ok and the spflash tool window should populate with all the relevant information.

7 - Click firmware update(NOT DOWNLOAD which is shown in all the tutorials i have seen which will give you an error). Once you have clicked firmware update the word searching will appear in the bottom of the spflash window immediately, then just plug in the phone and the update will start automatically and when you get the green circle at the end shutdown spflash unplug the phone and start the phone, thats it.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest Al_1604

I had the same 'dead android' after rooting my G2, I successfully installed LeWa recovery by following their guide. This is the guide for the G3 (you can just install the recovery ('bottom package' - follow steps 1 & 2), no need for the custom ROM): http://bbs.lewaos.co...n-jiayu_g3.html

If you use Google chrome on a PC the guide will automatically translate!

Edited by Al_1604

Guest putbinoot

Ok now have a working copy of cwm 5.5.0.4 installed using Mobileuncle MTK Tools from the market. Got cwm from chinamobile forum. Still looking for original recovery.img which I think you will need to put on if you are going to be able to update with the JB release. Have a firmware update unpacked with a recovery folder and a file inside recovery-from-boot.p not sure if you just need to rename this recovery.img to install it. Anyone any ideas.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest reganlives

When you say the original recovery image, do you mean a original rom dump basically?

Once you have overcome these issues are you able to put a step by step together for everyone please with links etc for the appropriate software etc for rooting, recovery etc?

Thanks

Guest putbinoot

When you say the original recovery image, do you mean a original rom dump basically?

Once you have overcome these issues are you able to put a step by step together for everyone please with links etc for the appropriate software etc for rooting, recovery etc?

Thanks

Yeah i mean the original recovery that shipped with the phone, will try and do a write up or video of the whole process with links to files.

Guest putbinoot

If you need the original recovery then when I get my phone I could send you the image if you can tell me how to get it off the phone.

That would be great, I need to learn this myself however as is the reason I don't have the original as i did not back it up. I think it can all be done using adb but not sure.

Guest putbinoot

Sorry for this post will try and just update first post to save people having to read through a whole thread to get some answers.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest putbinoot

sorry to hijack...but did ur PC find ur phone ok?

First post updated.

Is that at me Frankie? Also answer to your post in other thread rooting has not slowed phone down, I would however have liked not to have been so quick and back up all the oem components first before rooting so the phone could be put back to stock for Jellybean update, but i am sure there is a jellybean rom out there already and someone will release the offical in a way it can be installed via a recovery program either cwm or lewa.

Guest FrankieADZ

First post updated.

Is that at me Frankie? Also answer to your post in other thread rooting has not slowed phone down, I would however have liked not to have been so quick and back up all the oem components first before rooting so the phone could be put back to stock for Jellybean update, but i am sure there is a jellybean rom out there already and someone will release the offical in a way it can be installed via a recovery program either cwm or lewa.

yeah it was for u Putbinoot, sorry.

i thought the G3 had an update app....update system i think its called,wouldnt you be able to put the JB release(once it comes) on ur Micro SD the update that way,

*eg....you put the ROM/Update on your SD card and then it update to said ROM/Update?

Also...what is the SP Flash tool?....dont wanna be a idiot/pushy....but maybe a guide on how u did it might help...idiots like me :(

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest putbinoot

yeah it was for u Putbinoot, sorry.

i thought the G3 had an update app....update system i think its called,wouldnt you be able to put the JB release(once it comes) on ur Micro SD the update that way,

*eg....you put the ROM/Update on your SD card and then it update to said ROM/Update?

Also...what is the SP Flash tool?....dont wanna be a idiot/pushy....but maybe a guide on how u did it might help...idiots like me :(

I thought I read somewhere that if you root phone or the recovery image is different you could not use the update system app on the phone although I could be completely wrong as I have been reading that much, hopefully argon will be able to say if he installed update before or after his root and how he done it. Sp Flash Tool I found here http://techideki.com/how-to-root-jiayu-g3-working-recovery-mode/ although I am about to update post 1 again as once again my recovery has gone faulty. Took two attempts with sp flash to get cwm on the phone but it only lasted for one access when I shutdown the phone and tried to get in again android man was on his arse again.

Guest Al_1604

Hi putbinoot, did you try the LeWa recover yet?

Solved my 'android on arse' issue on G2, no reason to suspect it wouldn't work just the same for the G3 (apart from your phone looking nicer :P the innards are very similar).

If nothing else, I have a fully rooted phone with a working recovery (first thing I did after getting it working was to do a backup to SD).

Edited by Al_1604

Guest putbinoot

Hi putbinoot, did you try the LeWa recover yet?

Solved my 'android on arse' issue on G2, no reason to suspect it wouldn't work just the same for the G3 (apart from your phone looking nicer :P the innards are very similar).

If nothing else, I have a fully rooted phone with a working recovery (first thing I did after getting it working was to do a backup to SD).

Not yet could not get that link you posted to work yesterday but working now but not sure of what I am supposed to be doing there are 4 downloads

1-MTK6577 zip file which is the sp flash tool i think although when i try to run it i get an error and it won't run but i have another one.

2-setup_Xunwa_2.0.1.exe which I think is a windows program for putting their os on the phone if you aready have one of their versions on.

3-Lewa-home-2.01.1.apk no idea what this is for.

4-jiayu_g3 which by the size is a complete rom.

Are these the files you downloaded and what did you do I can't seem to find a recovery only or is it in the rom file as i am waiting for that to download.

where is this bottom package you speak of. Also did you have a file called preloader in beside your scatter file and recovery image as I have read the phone does not go into download mode with out the preloader file being there you don't have to use it you can leave it unchecked but it still has to be there not sure if it's true or not though.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest putbinoot

Hello,

If you use a bit of google translate: http://gathering.twe...sages/1526524/0

How to root, how to install a new rom, ...

Just tried these files to see if it was different from ones i have already tried but they are just the same and it would seem that i am one of the people who's phone does not maintain a permanent recovery it's always lost after a system reboot, wonder what is the cause.

Hey Argon due you have permanent recovery or do you have to keep using mobileuncle to put a recovery image on before you do any thing, also did you get anywhere with your gps.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest Argon007

Hello,

I have permanent recovery. So i can flash rom's as much as i want.

No luck with the gps at this moment. Withine 20 minutes my girlfriend arrives (it is her phone) and I will continue to test something.

I used thes files ( http://wtrns.fr/J25UMwVV4nKrlBg ) to install the recovery. Just open the Flashtool, select the scatter file and the recovery_eng file. That worked for me.

Guest putbinoot

Hello,

I have permanent recovery. So i can flash rom's as much as i want.

No luck with the gps at this moment. Withine 20 minutes my girlfriend arrives (it is her phone) and I will continue to test something.

I used thes files ( http://wtrns.fr/J25UMwVV4nKrlBg ) to install the recovery. Just open the Flashtool, select the scatter file and the recovery_eng file. That worked for me.

Any luck with your GPS.

Guest reganlives

My G3 arrived yesterday. I had it posted to my parents house so going to pick it up tonight. Cant wait! Putinboot, I look forward to your instructions :)

Guest FrankieADZ

Bummer, just discovered the phone does not have HSDPA so no 3.5G acccess.

u still have 3g access tho?....

by the time the whole of the UK gets 4g....Japan will be on something quicker. lol