[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Rico_89

Well the Newman k1 posted on 21st may with tracking not working never arrived, after few emails with Merimobiles had to raise paypal dispute, today merimobiles refunded my money.......just got to decide what to buy now?

I'm in the same boat.. well almost. I lent my brother my V5 for the evening, big mistake lol, and ever since he's been pressuring me to give him my V5 and order another one. I'm not sure I want to order two phones that are exactly the same just in case.. G4 would be an option if it was available, although yes it has a thinner bezel but the trade off is a very thick phone, and right now priced too high.. Damn not sure what to get.. I do like the V5 though..

Guest dakok

Few suggestions:

Xiaocai g6 (dual boot, OGS?, good screen, 2500mAh battery)

Amoi n828 (very good reviews, huge forums support)

Mlais MX58 Air (GGIII, OGS, f/2.2 camera, 2500mAh battery)

Guest bryfly

I'm in the same boat.. well almost. I lent my brother my V5 for the evening, big mistake lol, and ever since he's been pressuring me to give him my V5 and order another one. I'm not sure I want to order two phones that are exactly the same just in case.. G4 would be an option if it was available, although yes it has a thinner bezel but the trade off is a very thick phone, and right now priced too high.. Damn not sure what to get.. I do like the V5 though..

Been thinking a second V5 would be a good idea, £108 is a good price and there is a following on Modaco now, don't want to end up with one that not many people have and no following..........

Guest Rico_89

Been thinking a second V5 would be a good idea, £108 is a good price and there is a following on Modaco now, don't want to end up with one that not many people have and no following..........

I'm thinking the same thing, the Mlais MX58 Air posted above by dakok (thanks dakok) looks ok but with out support you can be left high and dry.

I'm thinking the same thing, theMlais MX58 Air posted above by dakok (thanks dakok) looks ok but with out support you can be left high and dry.

Yeah I like the look of the Mlais MX58 too. Silicone cases and screen protectors are available too. There are a couple of roms on needrom site, but not sure what you do about finding CWM for it.

Mlais seems to be a serious company:

http://www.mlais.com/article-46.html

They are already fighting with copies :)

Official forum looks good, too:

http://www.anzhuo365.com/

Anyway, they are too young, Newman K1 is more mature and it might be a better choice for now?

The K1 seems very similar except only 8 MP camera and no gorrila glass? Any other differences?

And cases and screen protectors available on ebay UK.

Edited by Guest

Guest ChrisPNE
Vowney v5 case £5 and 2x screen protectors £2 from pandawill cheapest I've found for vowney v5

Is that the flip case or a silicon case?

Guest dakok

The K1 seems very similar except only 8 MP camera and no gorrila glass? Any other differences?

And cases and screen protectors available on ebay UK.

BSI camera and f/2.2 is what really matters. 12Mpix means nothing - it is only a size.

Try to find video samples from K1 camera. It is amazing.

Gorilla glas is a tempered glass - hard on surface, but brittle.

What is worse?

Scratches (hard screen protector is great for this) or a broken screen?

Edited by dakok

BSI camera and f/2.2 is what really matters. 12Mpix means nothing - it is only a size.

Try to find video samples from K1 camera. It is amazing.

Gorilla glas is a tempered glass - hard on surface, but brittle.

What is worse?

Scratches (hard screen protector is great for this) or a broken screen?

Is the Mlais a BSI camera?

Guest dakok

Is the Mlais a BSI camera?

I was referring to K1.

Reagarding Mlais - not sure about BSI, but it seems it has a f/2.2 camera which makes it very good in low light conditions

Guest tillaz
Guest tillaz

What do you think of the phone.?

not very good for the price, its £155 and it only has a 960 x 540 display with no mention if its IPS, my advice would be to avoid it...

for £110 you can get a vowney v5 which is better, or even a Jiayu G4 for £150, basically there are much better choices for £150

have a look here http://www.merimobil...priceasc&page=7

Guest whistler114

Thanks for making that spreadsheet dakok, it helped me narrow my choice down to the V5, Newman K1 and Xiaocai G6. I was about to order the V5 but I noticed you took it off your list in your latest version. Is it still a good option?

Guest Rico_89

I've been looking at these now and I think it's between the V5 or K1. The G4 would be in there, but right now I just don't think it's the right time to buy that phone. Maybe in six months when all the G4 versions are out, then you'll be able make a better decision in terms of price and specs.

I do like the Matte finish of the V5 and K1 and although they both have similar specs, I know the V5, I can root and install CWM. Also the K1 doesn't have OTG, not the biggest of deals however but I do use that far more than even I thought I would. K1 camera is better but the V5 camera is pretty damn good and has Face/smile detection and that "multiple view" feature so you can see around an object when you take a picture, in that mode, all of which work flawlessly. Now the K1 might have all of this too but I'm just not sure. Does anyone know if the K1 has dual display? I didn't even know the V5 had this but definitely my next TV purchase will have to be Miracast compatible.

Guest dakok

I moved v5 from list for only one reason - very low presence on chinese forums

and mobile phone portals. Besides that, manufacturer is not an established name in China.

There are other phones with similar background and I should remove them too,

but v5 looks good and has great specs - so I moved it away just for not being tempted :D .

Guest arranhs

Wow. I must say its very interesting to see that CM10 has been ported to the G4 here Ignore that, it seems i read wrongly with the google translate and all :P

Edited by arranhs

Guest Rico_89

Newman K1 third-party roms

I do like the K1, even though I would prefer a more stock android rom, however that might be easy to solve with a third party launcher. Anyone know if it's easy to root the K1 and install CWM?