[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Well I've waited this long so I'm going to wait for the Neo Rio N003 release on 25th July before I make my decision. If the price stays down and I think I can live with a large 5" then I think it could be the one.

Is it Neo N003 or Rio N003. It seems to be listed differently on different sites?

Guest JetKun

ordered black jiayu g4 with free silicone case and screen protector on touch-us.com, long waiting time now..

I ordered from them, then decided I didn't want it anymore and got myself a nice juicy refund, and thanks to the USD/GBP stock markets, made myself a fiver in the process! *woohoo*

Guest dazzday

Hi guys, first post but long time lurker of this thread.

Looking for a dual-sim phone (4.7"+) and trying to narrow down some options. Ideally something that has an active european community and good support . Jiiayu G4 seems a promising option, any others I should be aware of?

Any thoughts on the Lenovo p780? Standard enough specs but a 4000Mah battery :o

http://www.merimobiles.com/lenovo-p780-1-2ghz-quad-core-android-4-2-5-0-inch-hd-3g-wcdma-8-0mp-4000mah-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri7437.htm

Guest mikuz

So are there any jiayu G4 phones available at the moment? Who is selling them or is everyone waiting?

touch-us.com

bought yesterday, shiped today with tracking via singapore post

Guest JetKun

So are there any jiayu G4 phones available at the moment? Who is selling them or is everyone waiting?

I'm waiting. The prices of the G4 will fall more when the advanced starts getting into peoples' hands

Guest Rico_89

touch-us.com

Great news man.. I think you're the first one to actually buy the phone that brought most of us here to this thread in the first place. However a lot of us either bought something else or are still waiting for the G4 to come down in price. It's still a little too expensive for my maximum spend on a phone from China but you got it for good price, please keep us in formed and when it arrives post pics if you can. :)

Guest JetKun

touch-us.com

Wow, that was prompt! Which country do you live in, just curious?

Guest mikuz

Great news man.. I think you're the first one to actually buy the phone that brought most of us here to this thread in the first place. However a lot of us either bought something else or are still waiting for the G4 to come down in price. It's still a little too expensive for my maximum spend on a phone from China but you got it for good price, please keep us in formed and when it arrives post pics if you can. :)

ok, gona try :)

Wow, that was prompt! Which country do you live in, just curious?

london, uk

found info on 4pda.ru

now you can get for 234.85$ on to2c.com with coupon G4BEST

Guest aliaird

I need a phone that I can trust the GPS on. Reading about I'm not sure the MT6589 chips are working properly with GPS? Is the Jiayu G$ suffering as well?

I have a Vowney V5 that I can get a lock with, but it 'wanders' so that at slow speeds it thinks I am on a parallel road etc and is always trying to re-route me. I needed someone to fire up their iPhone last night to help out FFS! I can't have that!!

Guest Sere83

I need a phone that I can trust the GPS on. Reading about I'm not sure the MT6589 chips are working properly with GPS? Is the Jiayu G$ suffering as well?

I have a Vowney V5 that I can get a lock with, but it 'wanders' so that at slow speeds it thinks I am on a parallel road etc and is always trying to re-route me. I needed someone to fire up their iPhone last night to help out FFS! I can't have that!!

Yeah I have to agree with you on that, the GPS on the V5 has been a big disappointment and it is making me very weary of getting another MTK6589 phone from now on. Also the 3G performance on both my Mi One and Vowney V5 has not been that great either. I would prefer a chinese phone as my next but may end up getting a nexus 5 if it drops in october just for the likely better 3G and GPS performance.

Although saying that the TCL Idol X looks so sweet, 6.9mm as well is just ridiculously thin. Would be interested to see how the GPS perfroms on that as it is being rebranded by alcatel and sold outside china

Edited by Sere83

Guest Rico_89

Good points: The sort of RandD from those of us that have bought the V5 should be valuable information for anyone wanting to buy a phone from China; Things to look out for; Navigation Working (compass, gps, data assisted location), 3G performance for your network and location. I'm on GiffGaff and live in London and have never had a data issue but others on different networks in different parts of the country have reported slow connections.

As for what next? Well personally I never use navigation so for me the V5 is awesome value for money, and next year I want to see what the Chinese market will have to offer when the octa cores are in full flow. If you can wait it might be a good idea bide your time until announcements are made.

Check this out: http://www.modaco.co...nes-in-q4-r1169 "The 28nm MT6592 chip will have 8 Cortex-A7 cores and will be clocked at up to 2Ghz! Performance - as you'd expect - is stellar, with early tests racking up 30,000 points in Antutu - more than Samsung's octa core Exynos 5410 processor."

That's more that twice as fast as the V5 :o ..

Guest aliaird

I wonder whether the Nexus 4 might be the phone I am after... 4.7 inch, a GPS that works, decent screen and camera, 1.5ghz CPU. Good Antutu scores, presumably a decent ROM scene. I would miss dual SIM but a decent GPS is important to me and returns presumably are much easier if I get a dud.

If we could solve the GPS problem then I think a Jiayu G4 for me, but I can get a Nexus 4 for £230 compared to a G4 for £180 - £240 (advanced)

I still like the fun of a Chinese phone no one has heard of, though!

Guest Rico_89

been looking at the Huwaei acend g510, looks good but need something with at least 1gm ram.

I'd rather a Jaiyu G3 than a 510.

I wonder whether the Nexus 4 might be the phone I am after... 4.7 inch, a GPS that works, decent screen and camera, 1.5ghz CPU. Good Antutu scores, presumably a decent ROM scene. I would miss dual SIM but a decent GPS is important to me and returns presumably are much easier if I get a dud.

If we could solve the GPS problem then I think a Jiayu G4 for me, but I can get a Nexus 4 for £230 compared to a G4 for £180 - £240 (advanced)

IMO the Nexus caps spending on a phone from China at £150. Anything more than that then you might as well get a Nexus, especially if navigation is a must have.

LOL .. I couldn't agree with you more.. hmmm or maybe it's the risk we both like :D .

Guest akarana

I'd rather a Jaiyu G3 than a 510.

At first blush the Jiayu G3 looks much better value for $ than Huawei G510, but

what bands does it do 3G/UMTS/WCDMA? Every review I read has different numbers.

It matters to me, and if there are different models for different markets it's really buyer beware...

Guest Rico_89

Looking for a phone with a big battery http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7761.htm

Its a preorder link

Holy crap that is a big battery. And did you notice how it looks almost identical to iOcean 7.

is it must the mediatek chips that have gps probs and is it something that coould be recitfied manually

What you should do is find a forum where you can ask those that have bought the phone you are interested in, if the phones gps is working well and if it supports your network in your country.