Getting a second G300, want to do things differently, please advise!

Guest ACS10

Hi all,

I recently bought myself a G300 and the first thing I did was root it, unlock the bootloader, flash Infusion and have since used a variety of custom roms available here. Great stuff.

However I've just purchased another G300 for a friend who will be staying abroad after Christmas so I need the most stable of roms/setups as she won't have time to mess about with it after the holidays. I was thinking that keeping stock ICS might be the way to go as long as I root it. Rooting is a must for me for getting rid of the bloaty apps, using Titanium and AdAway.

The issue I see is if there's a problem with the phone & it needs returning it'll need unrooting, is there an easy way to do this?

Would you recommend the stock Vodafone rom for maximum stability? Or is it sluggish? I'm using Stock+ right now myself, it's possibly the most stable I've used so far (over Infusion & CM9) but I've had a few freezes, the browser closing randomly, etc. Can anyone on stock say whether they have these kind of problems on the regular? I'm also a little worried about the "reboot on loss of 3g" issue which for me was fixed with Infusion B07 (and Stock+ as far as I can tell) but a lot of people are saying they still have it. I assume stock doesn't suffer from this problem?

What I'm basically asking is -

1. Is it easy to root stock ICS to remove the bloat etc and unroot it if needed?

2. Is it easy to revert back to stock everything if I go all out and put CWM and a custom rom on there?

Cheers all - I'm glad I've found this community for the G300, it was main reason behind my purchase of this phone!

Edited by ACS10

Guest Predackon

Hi all,

I recently bought myself a G300 and the first thing I did was root it, unlock the bootloader, flash Infusion and have since used a variety of custom roms available here. Great stuff.

However I've just purchased another G300 for a friend who will be staying abroad after Christmas so I need the most stable of roms/setups as she won't have time to mess about with it after the holidays. I was thinking that keeping stock ICS might be the way to go as long as I root it. Rooting is a must for me for getting rid of the bloaty apps, using Titanium and AdAway.

The issue I see is if there's a problem with the phone & it needs returning it'll need unrooting, is there an easy way to do this?

Would you recommend the stock Vodafone rom for maximum stability? Or is it sluggish? I'm using Stock+ right now myself, it's possibly the most stable I've used so far (over Infusion & CM9) but I've had a few freezes, the browser closing randomly, etc. Can anyone on stock say whether they have these kind of problems on the regular? I'm also a little worried about the "reboot on loss of 3g" issue which for me was fixed with Infusion B07 (and Stock+ as far as I can tell) but a lot of people are saying they still have it. I assume stock doesn't suffer from this problem?

What I'm basically asking is -

1. Is it easy to root stock ICS to remove the bloat etc and unroot it if needed?

2. Is it easy to revert back to stock everything if I go all out and put CWM and a custom rom on there?

Cheers all - I'm glad I've found this community for the G300, it was main reason behind my purchase of this phone!

I have been through everything you have said above. Mine had GB on it then upgraded it to official ICS B952. It was really sluggish,Would eat the memory not recommended. I've also installed infusion,CM10 but my phone kept restarting even though some said it was now fixed. Long story short I recommend Stock GB Why? Because i have 52 apps and games installed, mxplayer, amazon,argos,go launcher etc. It runs like nitro and i have 256MB RAM free for apps,games,playing videos etc.

Thanks for the reply! I guess stock ICS is a no-go then? Fair enough - I'd rather unlock the whole thing and have a properly functional device again than deal with sluggishness. My friend rather wants ICS though, but I'll tell her what's been said. Did you root ICS B952 and get rid of the bloat while you were on it?

I've just read the downgrade guide which will be very useful if the phone needs to go back to repairs during its warranty. My concern is she won't be confident to do the downgrade herself, so I'm going to have a mess about with it and see if she's happy with (rooted) stock GB on there. Is there anything GB doesn't do you wish it did? How's tethering?

I've been running Stock+ (ICS) for the last day and a bit which I'm pretty happy with. For the most part the phone runs great, it's browsing that's really letting it down on ICS in my opinion. Way too many lags or random closes. Surely a lack of ram issue which GB would certainly fix if messing about with my little GT-5500 phone recently has taught me. Makes me wonder why the device had an official upgrade in the first place if there's so many issues with the stock release? HTC abandon their devices pretty quick but at least they don't (as far as I've experienced in the past) release buggy updates to a device people will be using every day!

Edited by ACS10

Guest GOlteanu

I agree with Predackon, stay on Gingerbread. It's much faster than ICS and doesn't freeze! If you want to upgrade or downgrade through ICS and GB just use the middle file method (this only works with stock). I always use this method, after I upgrade/downgrade, a quick root, get rid of the vodacrap, reebot and I'm good to go.

Overall: Stay on Gingerbread, root and get rid of the Vodafone bloatware. If you want more from your phone search on google play "Rom Toolbox Pro" (you have to have root for the app to work properly) and use the performance options you have there.

• 1 month later...