Phone not booting past vodafone logo

Guest andypag

Guest andypag

I updated my G300 to ICS using the vodafone software. I haven't rooted it, and I haven't clockworked it. It's been working fine for 2 weeks, but lately it was crashing a bit more than usual, then one of the apps wouldn't work repeatedly so I did a restart, and now it boots up to the huawei logo, and then the vodafone logo and then nothing. It just sits at the vodafone logo.

I've tried booting with the volume up and the volume down, with the SIM card, without the SIM card, with the memory card and without the memory card.

It just hangs on the vodafone logo.

Is there something I can install on the memory card that will make it boot up? - does holding the volume up or down make it boot off the memory card?

Andy

Guest Kelthar

Remove the battery for about 5 seconds, then plug it back in. Power the phone up with volume down. I'm not sure if these phones have an unlocked recovery menu, but it's still worth a try.

Once there, see if you can find something to clear the caches.

But, to be honest, if your warranty is still valid and you did no CWM recovery installation or rooting, you should take it to Vodafone.

Guest andypag

Not sure how I can clear the cache when I can't get it to boot up. Is there a way to do this?

I've had the battery out and booted it with the volume down button pressed. the effect is still the same. It gets as far as the vodafone logo and hangs.

It's still in waranty but I'm in Nepal and I can't send it back to Amazon from here. (Customs and unreliable postage) It's just not practical. Plus even if they send me a replacement to my UK address, I'll be here for 2 more months so will be without a phone til then. Really hoping there's a way of recovering it?

Guest Hogweed

It is boot phone with Volume UP + Power for recovery menu. Not Vol down which is bootloader mode

Starting with Volume-UP + Power should bring up the stock recovery menu. Can you get into it?

EDIT: If you see the Vodafone logo when starting the phone with ANY Volume button combo then you are not doing it right as the phone has attempted a normal boot. Remember to pull the battery between attempts and hold the buttons for several seconds after the phone starts up. If you let go too soon the phone will continue and attempt a normal boot. In the first instance you want to try and get the phone to do a recovery mode boot - which is Power + Volume-UP

Edited by Hogweed

Guest andypag

Just tried "wipe cache partition" and then a reboot.

It said cache wipe complete,

It had an error message that it can't open /data/last-log

But it's still not booting up. Still hanging on the vodafone logo.

Edited by andypag

Guest Hogweed

No. You can not install any repacks as you do not have CWM recovery installed. Only the standard supplied recovery. As I don't know which version of ICS you have installed then I don't know which official Update might work. If you are on UK latest Vodafone then none of them will as far as I know (Fail with a version check). It might be possible to use ADB (debug) commands to get you running again without a data wipe but your quickest option would be a factory reset attempt. Yes I know that will be annoying.

A factory reset reformats the data and cache partitions. It may be your only option.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest andypag

I have the latest version of ICS from vodafone. I installed it through the settings menu when the phone was working.

Will I lose my phone numbers if I do a factory reset? - never mind, I know the answer. Here goes...

Edited by andypag

Guest Hogweed

Yes your phone will boot up with the first switched on setup after a factory reset. If your numbers are backed up to a google account they will be automatically restored. Otherwise they are gone unless stored on SIM. If you did a Huawei backup before you upgraded to ICS and you still have it on the SD card you can restore it again.

Sadly there is no way to install CWM Recovery unless you can boot into ICS and you can't. This is because the ICS bootloader is locked so you can't by default reflash a new recovery partition via USB as you were able to do in GB ROMs.

I have my fingers crossed for your factory reset

Edited by Hogweed

Guest andypag

Thanks Hogweed. Well I have a working phone now. Big relief after a panicky moment. Maybe Google will have saved me? Will find out tomorrow. It's late here and I'm going to reset the phone up in the morning. Will also install CWM. and use the backup app from now on. Is this sort of crash common?

Time to apologise to my dearly beloved for being so tetchy earlier this evening when the phone first went skitzo.

Good night.

Guest Hogweed

Glad you have a working phone again!. I don't think complete crashes requiring a factory reset or re installation are "common" (I've never had one) but they are certainly not unknown either. Having recent backups is always handy. If it happens repeatedly though you might have faulty hardware or an issue related to the specific ROM. Hopefully though it was a one-off.

Edited by Hogweed