CoPilot Live Premium UK + IRE only £14.99!

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

Co-Pilot are currently getting in on the post-Christmas madness with an end of year sale offering up to 40% off their excellent navigation application!

Try navfree, or the even better osmand, both are free, offline, with voice turn by turn nav, osmand even has waypoints and can import gpx tracks, great for cyclists.

Guest The Soup Thief

I've been trying out NavFree the past few weeks. Seems good (if a bit basic) providing directions offline etc, but you need a web connection when first setting up the route (unless your destination is among your bookmarks) which limits the offline-ness a bit...

I've downloaded OSMand but not had chance to try it yet

Not sure what you mean here, there is the offline postcode database as well as POI's, and just locating on the map, as well as street search which I agree is limited. Your right about the basic nav though, the engine clearly heavily optimises major routes, so is ok for long distances. Osmand is better in this respect.

Guest The Soup Thief

May be it's significant that I'm in Ireland and that there is no UK style postcode system here. If I have no data access then NavFree asks for one before it can conduct address-based searches.

OSMand seems happy to search addresses without a connection

Good luck with osmand, I tend to use it instead of navfree but keep navfree in reserve. Osmand gets an update fairly frequently and they have vastly improved the stability of the GPS lock recently, it also looks to me as if they are inching towards a fully paid model, time will tell. If you decide you want to run osmand with map tiles then 'mobac' is a decent, and free, map creator.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.