how is this phone for typing

Guest topcat07

Guest topcat07

Struggling to find any information on how this phone would be for typing texts etc ?

Never had a touch screen and coming from a blackberry so have no idea what to expect ..

my last bit of research before buying hopefully :D

Guest BlueMoonRising

It's an excellent touchscreen, how good it is to type on depends on what you're used to I suppose. I personally use Swype downloaded from their site since it's more up to date but the Swiftkey one included seems very good. As this is Android if you don't like the keyboard just swap it.

Guest i am not a hacker

You can type faster on here than with a blackberry and you can use many different languages.

1. There is the normal qwerty keyboard with excellent suggestions including next words suggestions. You don't even have to press the space bar on swiftkey, it works out where the spaces should be. You can also hold down a letter to get a the symbol below it (or numbers om the top row of the keyboard).
  2. You can use the alpha-numeric keyboards where you press 1 three times to get a C, but they are not very good.
  3. The best method is swyping using swype keyboard, slide it, swiftkey flow etc. there are quite a few. With these, you do not have to lift your finger up, you just drag from one letter to another. You can even swype whole sentences at a time without lifting up your finger. This does take a few days of getting used to.
  4. There is also voice recognition. You just press the button on the keyboard, say what you want and it types it for you. It is very accurate!
  5. Lastly, handwriting recognition. This is particular good when using other languages as you can draw the letters with the accents above it.

Overall, typing is amazing and much faster than blackberry keyboards.

Guest BlueMoonRising

im convinced this sounds great i shall pick one up tomorrow :)

Sorry, they've all now been sold :) :) :)

You should have grabbed one while you could :P

Guest Armadillo1

I am not sure if the screen is precise.

I find that I hit the wrong keys a lot more than what I did on the G300. It helps using Swiftkey but I still find it frustrating.

So in order to get the words right I have now decreased my typing speed quite a bit.

Does no one else have this problem?

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

In response to Armadillo1, I too find it harder typing on the San Diego than on the G300 or the San Francisco I had before that. I find I have to 'aim' slightly above they intended keys to hit them correctly. This is definitely not a problem with screen accuracy though; if I type slowly and deliberately the screen definitely responds to the exact key I hit. I don't know what it is, as I have used SwiftKey with all three phones. It has taken me months to type more accurately on the San Diego and I still often end up hitting the key below the intended one.

I suspect it has something to do with the higher screen resolution and/or sensitivity over the other two.

Have not tried Swype on the San Diego. SwiftKey does a decent job of correcting my botched typing.