[DEV][ROM][2014-06-16] CyanogenMod 10 (Continuation of KonstaT's work)

Guest James Horny

Keep app data & dalvik cache on internal memory.

Because app data & dalvik cache dont't fit into internal memory for me, I can't

consider to do so. <_<

Edited by James Horny

Guest elrond_bs

@ James Horny: then you slow down, your already slow phone - your choice. If the apps you use doesn't require much speed, it will be ok. KonstaT and other devs commented on this many times, saying that moving dalvik cache and especially app data is not recommended and will slow down your phone. One way to resolve this is to use Link2SD and move dalvik cache only for selected simpler apps. Tested by me and works - no slow downs.

Anybody knows why I cant update google search? Is it ARMv7 and higher only?

Yes, it is exactly. Our version is unofficial and unsupported, so no updates. The team that made it possible to work on ARM6 abandoned the project long time ago. And the code is not only ARM7, but also proprietary (no source code), so it won't ever work any better than this.

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest James Horny

@ James Horny: then you slow down, your already slow phone - your choice. If the apps you use doesn't require much speed, it will be ok. KonstaT and other devs commented on this many times, saying that moving dalvik cache and especially app data is not recommended and will slow down your phone. One way to resolve this is to use Link2SD and move dalvik cache only for selected simpler apps. Tested by me and works - no slow downs.

Yes, it is exactly. Our version is unofficial and unsupported, so no updates. The team that made it possible to work on ARM6 abandoned the project long time ago. And the code is not only ARM7, but also proprietary (no source code), so it won't ever work any better than this.

If there is not free enough for dalvik-cache on the phone's internal storage I'll find it as a good

and only solution to move it to sd-ext and take care of the adequate performance by other means.

If the only option is either dalvik- or application-data I'll choose the later.

I've good performance on my Blade and is not an issue for me at the moment.

Eventually I prefer S2E to that Link2SD.

Guest elrond_bs

It's your choice, of course, if it's ok for you. :) Just read the comments in the older thread (by KonstaT himself), to understand the logic behind all and you will see I'm right.

Also, obviously you have far too many apps, I have ~150 user apps and still have a lot of space with no app data moved and dalvik cache moved only for 2/3 of my apps! You could uninstall what you don't need and use Titanium Backup copies for apps that are "just in case". :)

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest JuubisFIN

So i am having some pretty weird issues, i cant open the play store on any 4.x rom, it just closes instantly...

But this is a great rom! I have now used it a day, and its very nice! thanks daemon for a great rom.

Guest thanasis00

Hello! The past few days, i noticed a minor issue with the bt on this rom. Sometimes, the sound to my bt handsfree is choppy. I have to turn off and back on bt on the mobile to make it stop. Anyone else experiencing the same?

[*]prefer RGB565 pixel format for opaque surfaces and bitmaps

[*]reenable 16bpp drawing cache

[*]use RGB565 pixel format for wallpaper

What does this actually do...

A little googling told me that it reduces the heap memory requirement...

So does that mean it reduces the occurrence of the white blocks in certain games...

AFAIK the 16bpp transparency setting actually doesn't do a thing anymore. The framework-side code was removed a long time ago...

By the way, for the people that have problems with white textures in some memory-hungry games, I have something to test. Try to flash this zip on top of your CM10 or CM10.1 install. This contains a kernel image configured with increased vmalloc space size. This is where most GPU memory is allocated from. Plague Inc. works just fine with this, despite being a horrible resource hog...

Ate you talking about this...

I already tested it...

So does that latest ROM contain this kernel or not

Edited by vNa5h

I have uploaded a new build, see the first page for changelog and download link.

This build comes with changes that might be a bit controversial, but they

are a good tradeoff in my opinion. The basic idea is, the framebuffer is running

at RGB565 anyway, so it does not make much sense to use RGBX8888 for opaque

surfaces, or for bitmaps that are typically blitted to the screen without

transformations.

I've switched as much as possible and reasonable to RGB565, enabled dithering

in the appropriate places and made the drawing cache (used by the software UI

renderer) capable of 16bpp again. Overall, this reduces memory consumption,

speeds up software rendering and cuts down fillrate load on the GPU at minimal

loss of visual quality. In rare cases you will see some banding.

Especially the homescreen and lockscreen are noticeably faster and apps that

use the software UI renderer are back to the speed you might remember

from Gingerbread. Hardware-accelerated UI rendering does not benefit from these

optimizations, though, because it always uses ARGB8888 surfaces.

Yes I read that too...

The ROM does not contain the kernel. I just put it up for testing purposes. I am not sure if it is a good idea to just increase the vmalloc size. It reduces the amount of physical memory available for userspace, but might also have side effects worse than that.

The ROM does not contain the kernel. I just put it up for testing purposes. I am not sure if it is a good idea to just increase the vmalloc size. It reduces the amount of physical memory available for userspace, but might also have side effects worse than that.

Why not keep a balance between the two ...

Increase it a bit but not too much

Regarding FM radio, I have finished a vendor library implementation, and it seems to work just fine. Here's the code. Unfortunately, the new FM radio framework relies on a different working principle. The radio in the Blade just patches the audio through the analog audio mixer, the new framework instead is designed to record the live audio from the FM chipset and play it back like regular media files. So actual playback doesn't function properly yet, unless you somehow unmute audio while the radio is tuned to a station.

Maybe someone that knows more about Android's audio system could take a look at this... basically, the FM audio routing and volume control found in Gingerbread needs to be reimplemented.

Yeah, the FM radio stack in CyanogenMod was ported by the FreeXperia people. I can already start the FmRadioReceiver app you're showing in the screenshot, and scanning stations works too. It's just that audio output doesn't really work. :)

Yeah, the FM radio stack in CyanogenMod was ported by the FreeXperia people. I can already start the FmRadioReceiver app you're showing in the screenshot, and scanning stations works too. It's just that audio output doesn't really work. :)

Great achievement Daemond. So near for FM Radio functionality on CM10/CM10.1 Blade ROM. Someone just needs to put icing on the cake you have prepared now. :)

Guest Loren82

Unnecessary work and extra efforts, no one even uses ancient FM.

That's what you say, but a lot of people still on CM7, just for that, it seems to me an important part now that most problems were resolved.