[DEV][ROM][2014-06-16] CyanogenMod 10 (Continuation of KonstaT's work)

Guest elrond_bs

Please don't post same question more than once in different topics! I already answered you in CM10.1 topic. And this is offtopic anyway.

Guest eric3

I guess (as others have mentioned here) that this little device only has 512MB RAM and that may not be enough to hold a few apps in memory.

For example I need to restart Opera Mini many times even though I've only used alarm clock (built in), calendar (built in), RSS reader (Sparse RSS), browser (Opera Mini) and launcher (built in). During this test I didn't send or receive a call or SMS.

So my question is, are there any settings or apps to improve the memory use... even just a little bit?

I guess (as others have mentioned here) that this little device only has 512MB RAM and that may not be enough to hold a few apps in memory.

For example I need to restart Opera Mini many times even though I've only used alarm clock (built in), calendar (built in), RSS reader (Sparse RSS), browser (Opera Mini) and launcher (built in). During this test I didn't send or receive a call or SMS.

So my question is, are there any settings or apps to improve the memory use... even just a little bit?

You can use ZRam, and page merging

A swap partition might also help, as it acts as a page file, freeing up ram when needed without killing background apps

Guest eric3

You can use ZRam, and page merging

I've tried with and without zRAM and KSM with more or less the same result :(

A swap partition might also help, as it acts as a page file, freeing up ram when needed without killing background apps

I've created a swapfile on /sdcard but it looks like that the swapspace is never used. After an uptime of more than 1 day, I get this output when using the command 'free' in a terminal:

total used free shared buffers

Mem: 429476 327288 102188 0 8080

-/+ buffers: 319208 110268

Swap: 204796 0 204796

Guest globe

eric3, it might sound stupid but maybe a reboot once a day could help?

when my phone becomes slow it works fine again after a reboot

good luck!

Guest eric3

when my phone becomes slow it works fine again after a reboot

The phone is not slow, I like this phone/ROM combination.

It's just unable to keep the browser (Opera Mini) resident in memory.

For example:

I start Opera Mini (OM) at 23:00. OM will be resident in memory untill 0:00. I've tested this by starting and stopping OM every 15 minutes or so. At 0:00 something happens (maybe the calendar is updated) which will kill OM and remove it from memory.

The same thing happens in the morning when the alarm clock is ringing.

I was hoping that adding virtual memory (swap) will help me get rid of this problem, but it looks like that the virtual memory is there but not used.

Guest globe

The phone is not slow, I like this phone/ROM combination.

It's just unable to keep the browser (Opera Mini) resident in memory.

Yeah indeed, I like it too :)

Maybe it is with the added low memory function in the kernel, which improved a lot but it could be possible it kills your OM because it isn't used and becomes a background action witch has to be killed to improve everything (I am just brainstorming) :)

or something autokill in OM, like some games,... have?

Guest eric3

Maybe it is with the added low memory function in the kernel, which improved a lot but it could be possible it kills your OM because it isn't used and becomes a background action witch has to be killed to improve everything

Yes that is a possibility.

I guess I'm just a very "light user" (not playing games or watching movies). The heaviest app I use is Opera Mini, and even here I've turned off the use of images. It's a bit annoying that something small (I think it's the alarm clock in the morning or the updating of the calendar at 0:00h) will kill Opera Mini en thus removing it from memory.

The killing of background tasks probably improves the experience for most people.

But it would be nice if the killing can be tuned. Because when I check the memory (with the command "free" in a terminal), it looks like I have enough memory to keep Opera Mini resident.</p></p>

Guest ilopez85

Can anyone compile the camera (and gallery) from CM10 (not legacy) with the following modifications? (remove lines between <<--N)

The idea is "to hide" from the menus everything that is not working (fully or partially) in our Blades keeping the other options that are not available in the legacy but works fine (focus mode, color effect, ...)

=======================================================================

android_packages_apps_Camera/res/xml/video_preferences.xml

<<--1

<IconListPreference

camera:key="pref_video_effect_key"

camera:defaultValue="@string/pref_video_effect_default"

camera:title="@string/pref_video_effect_title"

camera:icons="@array/video_effect_icons"

camera:largeIcons="@array/video_effect_icons"

camera:entries="@array/pref_video_effect_entries"

camera:entryValues="@array/pref_video_effect_entryvalues" />

<<--1

android_packages_apps_Gallery2/res/layout/photoeditor_effects_fix.xml

<<--2

</com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.FaceliftAction>

<com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.FaceTanAction style="@style/Effect">

<ImageView

style="@style/EffectIcon"

android:src="@drawable/photoeditor_effect_facetan"/>

<TextView

android:id="@+id/effect_label"

android:text="@string/facetan"

style="@style/EffectLabel"/>

</com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.FaceTanAction>

<com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.StraightenAction style="@style/Effect"

android:tag="@string/straighten_tooltip">

<ImageView

style="@style/EffectIcon"

android:src="@drawable/photoeditor_effect_straighten"/>

<TextView

android:id="@+id/effect_label"

android:text="@string/straighten"

style="@style/EffectLabel"/>

<<--2

Edited by ilopez85

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eric3

I think I've found the setting to solve this issue.

I guess I'm just a very "light user" (not playing games or watching movies). The heaviest app I use is Opera Mini, and even here I've turned off the use of images. It's a bit annoying that something small (I think it's the alarm clock in the morning or the updating of the calendar at 0:00h) will kill Opera Mini en thus removing it from memory.

It's the 'sys.mem.max_hidden_apps' setting in the /system/build.prop file.

The default is 4, I changed it to 10, and now it works the way I want

Raising sys.mem.max_hidden_apps to 10 may be a bit too much. You can never fit that many apps into the RAM anyway.

I am going to make a (final?) build of this Android ROM soon. That will include the master key fix and some other stuff, like raising max_hidden_apps. I still can't reproduce the button backlight issue. Can anyone that is affected please check if replacing /system/lib/hw/lights.blade.so and/or /system/app/BladeParts.apk to the version from an older build fixes the problem?

Guest ilopez85

Raising sys.mem.max_hidden_apps to 10 may be a bit too much. You can never fit that many apps into the RAM anyway.

I am going to make a (final?) build of this Android ROM soon. That will include the master key fix and some other stuff, like raising max_hidden_apps. I still can't reproduce the button backlight issue. Can anyone that is affected please check if replacing /system/lib/hw/lights.blade.so and/or /system/app/BladeParts.apk to the version from an older build fixes the problem?

I tried replacing the 0514 version files in 0328 and the problem seems to be in BladeParts.apk

Next version? Date?

I can't promise anything but today or tomorrow probably. I want to sort out the backlight issue first.

I tried replacing the 0514 version files in 0328 and the problem seems to be in BladeParts.apk

Ah, I think I found it. When BladeParts enable the button backlight on startup (or resume, most probably), they also force it to the "on" state. This might cause these problems.

Guest adrez

Hello!

This is my first post, although I've been around quite some time and had nothing to say except thanks to everybody involved in android development.

I have been using this rom for a month and have to say everything is working right, previous rom was Konstat's CM10.1 but I came back to CM10 because of bluetooth problems (didn't used to initialize). At first I had the button backlight issue, I calibrated proximity sensor and it was still not working correctly. But then I restored proximity sensor to default values, restarted and it was working perfectly!

My Blade is European, Gen2. Hope it helps!

Guest KonstaT

Ah, I think I found it. When BladeParts enable the button backlight on startup (or resume, most probably), they also force it to the "on" state. This might cause these problems.

I think button backlight is handled differently on framework side in CM10 and CM10.1. In CM10.1 button backlight gets enabled every time you touch the screen and stays lit for about seven seconds before turning off again. This can be quite annoying and that's why added an option to disable it. ;) Iirc in CM10 button backlight is enabled only when auto-brightness is enabled (not sure if this is a bug or a feature :P).

Btw, I'm running the same device parts code on both my devices and I haven't received any reports of weird button backlight behaviour. Not even on my CM10 build for Blade III.

Guest Rainer Hohn

I had a lot of flickering with the new google maps or especially navigation (ver. 7), so for the moment I just reverted back to 6.14.4, which had more features anyways.

I was just wondering, if this is a general problem with this rom and if there is a reason for this?

Guest elrond_bs

No, new Maps version is missing some things or they are working in another way (with Google+). Not very nice move by Google, this way they gather more personal information (your locations) for advertising.

Guest Rainer Hohn

Sorry, I meant the flickering. Especially when using navigation in landscape mode, for example the header bar was constantly jumping around and there were some other graphical glitches. Since as you said the new maps is missing some features and there isn't much benefit, I didn't care that much and just installed the old version. I was just wondering, why this was happening, as I didn't have such bugs with any other app.

Guest globe

offline maps is still there in the new maps version, luckily :)

great you will maybe do an update daemond!

(is there a possibility to add halo? ;))