New SPV announced & hardware update to existing SPV

Guest omar_g

STOP GETTING PARTRIDGE WRONG.
The real quote is "STOP GETTING BOND WRONG". Alan gets needlessly upset at someone misquoting a bond film.

The irony there is enough to make me poorly.

God, your the second person to get upset about this!

It's "you're" not "your"... and I'm not God... heh.

for/against new spv:

for:

bluetooth

against:

longer but smaller! thinks it fits fine into a hand now :)

crappy look! looks even more cheap than a spv ;)

"Made for Gamers/lamers"

facts:

The screen seems to be a litlle better in daylight... but still same 65k TFT reflective

people "aye it's more stable"

cut the crap-- it isent that difficult to crack the danish software and make.. in which "key lock" "profile" etc. workd proper!

Guest Gorskar

The new SPV does not have bluetooth.

The main advantage as far as I can see is the easier controls.

The better screen looks nice, but I think the original SPV screen isn't all that bad anyway.

Anyway, I've already gone for an original SPV, not much I can do about it now. Anyone going on about the how much better their fancy new SPVx is is liable to meet with a barage of original SPVs at high velociuty methinks :evil:

Guest Paul [MVP]

Er, FCM, I have one in my hand right now.

Bluetooth: No

Longer but smaller: hardly. It is a few millimetres longer, and a reasonal amount thinner, but really the form factor is not very different.

The phone does not look cheaper than an SPV, or a 'gamers' phone, next to it the SPV looks very lame. It's more of a proper phone shape than the very blocky SPV.

With regards to the screen? You would not believe the difference. When you go back to the SPV, it's like the tanager at the bottom of a glass of cloudy water :)

P

PS I have asked Orange for an official response re: Original SPV owners getting the new version - should be interesting!

Guest casper508

If the only difference is the size and LOOK then i'm happy with my SPV.

As for the keyboard, i'm quite used to it now and im sure most of you will agree.

Secondly, if we have to wait for the remainder of our contract to get the Tanager then there's really no point. By that time the 'video call' 3G phones will be out and im sure not many ppl here will stick to the SPV after the first year.

On the other hand, Paul how about some pics(as you said earlier) to see the screen difference?

Cheers

Cas

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
As for the keyboard, i'm quite used to it now and im sure most of you will agree.

Having said that, I went back to my old J70e the other day (don't even get me started on Orange tech dept stupidness) and i can still text loads faster on that than my SPV :)

The updated handset will retail for about £179 — the same price as the current SPV.

Argh! First they sell us a beta phone, then they develop and release a superior model for the same price!

Guest Gorskar
"]Er, FCM, I have one in my hand right now.

PS I have asked Orange for an official response re: Original SPV owners getting the new version - should be interesting!

Hm - I think I can guess the response:

Orange:Mwah hah ha! You must be joking!!!!

Why would we want to take back all those unsellable 1st edition SPVs and

give you our gorgeous new tanager SPVs?

Suckers!!!!!!!

Anyone know whether this SPVx has either HSCSD or Voice tags on it? Because if it has either, when it comes out I'll be right onto Orange and asking for my upgrade on the basis of things they promised me would be in the SPV and aren't. Got to be worth a shot.

Guest Paul [MVP]

HSCSD - No.

Voice tags - unlikely.

The voice tag tech has to be licenced by HTC, and if it ain't in the SPV, it ain't likely to be in the SPVx!

Expect them to be functionally identical...

P

Perhaps we should run a vote on the new phone ?

What a con by bringing out a new SPV - so much for brining the old SPV up to scratch with updates blah blah blah

Will it be worth buying the new one ??

I dont know ??

Help !! - What happens now .... my life is in turmoil again ... after I thought I have found a phone for life !

Guest ClintEastman

EGAN, the core os (and pretty much everything else) on the two phones are identical, so both will be updated at the same time with essentially the same update. So don’t worry!

I've read from infosync that their will be no hardware changes....it will simply be a re-designed shell. The screen however is supposed to of been improved and the Smartphone software is supposed to of been changed or modified for suiting more general users and gamers as well as entertainment (but doesn't it do all that now anyway?). I for one certainly would appreciate a faster processor at the least. The size of the actual SPV itself looks to be roughly the same as the original SPV. The SPV logo has been removed and the keys have been spaced apart as well as flattened for easier pressing. Instead of the four direction keys they've replaced it with a joystick which will also act as the Action key. Apart from that nothing seems to of changed that much....a few cosmetic changes...I was really looking forward to Orange announcing higher specs for this phone...I just don't think theirs enough to justify an upgrade which I bet they will charge a substantial amount for.

Bluetooth is supposedly on its way with a bluetooth headset. A keyboard and new cradle is also supposed to be in the works which allow the phone to act like a console...I'm not sure how they're going to do this or what they mean by converting it into a console but I don't see much point in it to be honest. The games aren't exactly Playstation 2 or Xbox quality are they?

"]PS I have asked Orange for an official response re: Original SPV owners getting the new version - should be interesting!

Paul: Have you had a response from Orange on this yet? Sorry if you've already posted an update, but with the number of posts flying around at the moment, I haven't been able to keep track!

Thanks,

Adam

Guest Chris b.a.r.f.
Personally I'm holding out for the Samsung Smartphone, it looks to be far superior to either SPV or SPVx

I look forwards to seeing the Samsung too, but I'll wait to try it before I judge whether it's superior. Never really been a fan of clamshell mobiles, tho'.

200mhz CPU speed should be.....interesting. It has to be a variable speed CPU, running at 200mhz all the time would take some cooling, surely? Anyway, the SPV's quick enough for me as it stands - post DK update, that is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guygittins
Paul,

Why is the tanager "Vastly Superior"? Everythng ive seen says it is the same but with a longer keypad and a 'better' joystick

Look @ this, and then look @ ure SPV's joystick:

tanager-orange-fake.gif

only real difference i can see is that it looks a tad more rounded

is there something else i don't know about?

JUST A QUICK QUESTION................

WHY IS THE FILE NAME FOR THE PICTURE OF THE TANAGER:

tanager-orange-fake????!!!!!! :?

YOUR NOT HAVING US ON ARE YOU??? :wink: